Author Topic: Stern - Cosmic Princess  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Rossco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Re: Stern - Cosmic Princess
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »
VR-1 is the varistor and that will have mains voltage on one of those broken legs. The large resistor is a 600-620 ohm 10 Watt resistor.

Was the varistor on the board before you started troubleshooting ?

As Ralph suggests, there could be a serious underlying issue that needs to be resolved before moving on.

Have found resistor here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/620-Ohm-10-Watt-Wire-Wound-Cement-Resistors-10-Piece-Lot-CR10-620-RC-/161392309517?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Where can I get a varistor? Any idea what specs it is?

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Re: Re: Re: Stern - Cosmic Princess
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:57 AM »
VR-1 is the varistor and that will have mains voltage on one of those broken legs. The large resistor is a 600-620 ohm 10 Watt resistor.

As Ralph suggests, there could be a serious underlying issue that needs to be resolved before moving on.

I haven't done anything to that area and I got it like that. It has never really worked properly from the outset so it looks like I will to get a new rectifier?
Doesn't look that complicated - unlike the solenoid board that I resoldered the pins on. Maybe I can just get parts??
From this reply, it's evident you're confusing the solenoid driver board with the MOU board.

Like I said earlier, spend some time reading over that online manual. I've read it about a dozen times at least. It's a valuable source of good information. Please please get familiar with it, you will learn a lot from it. And to be honest, if you're going to own a pinny it's best you know how to fix things.

The new bright green board is the rottendog solenoid driver board, looks brand new so should not have any problems with it, but it might be worth checking the fuse on it isn't blown.

To repair the rectifier board you can get most parts from rtbb.com.au but you'll have to remove the board from the pinball which means snipping all the wires soldered to it so make sure you take some detailed notes!

I'll offer to do the work for you if you want but you'll need to send me the board and all the components.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »

Found a replacement for the resistor: http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/37577872/pw10-600r-600r-ohm-wirewound-resistor-pw10-10-watt#.VEpOdK1xnmQ

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2014, 01:22:27 AM »
Looking to buy a good test meter (mine is a bit too old)...

Is this any good? http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM1549&CATID=97&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1060#1

Any recommendations on a suitable one to get for pinball system testing?

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Re: Re: Re: Stern - Cosmic Princess
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »

I haven't done anything to that area and I got it like that. It has never really worked properly from the outset so it looks like I will to get a new rectifier?
Doesn't look that complicated - unlike the solenoid board that I resoldered the pins on. Maybe I can just get parts??
From this reply, it's evident you're confusing the solenoid driver board with the MOU board.

Like I said earlier, spend some time reading over that online manual. I've read it about a dozen times at least. It's a valuable source of good information. Please please get familiar with it, you will learn a lot from it. And to be honest, if you're going to own a pinny it's best you know how to fix things.

The new bright green board is the rottendog solenoid driver board, looks brand new so should not have any problems with it, but it might be worth checking the fuse on it isn't blown.

To repair the rectifier board you can get most parts from rtbb.com.au but you'll have to remove the board from the pinball which means snipping all the wires soldered to it so make sure you take some detailed notes!

I'll offer to do the work for you if you want but you'll need to send me the board and all the components.

Thanks for the offer - I may give it a go first if that's OK (in the interest of learning the process), but certainly may take up your offer if I get stuck.

I worked on the solenoid driver board you may recall - that's what I replaced the pins on and resoldered/crimped as the first attempt to resolve the issues.

I replaced the brand-new rotten dog board about 3 hrs ago so it is all working and in order (fuse is fine).

Very difficult to try and work through the repairs without any wiring diagram or schematic I have to say. Haven't been able to locate one for the Cosmic Princess - despite my best efforts.

I can see that so far I need: (1) fuses as per the list posted earlier (2) ceramic resistor (3) V1 ...not sure of the specs for this ?? Any idea?   

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
You will need to completely rebuild the rectifier board!
Have you read the repair guide yet?

Read the repair guide!

Did i mention you should read the repair guide?

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
Have ordered this item and will finish the last of the replacement/upgrade activities which will hopefully get the machine running smoothly. What I really like about this machine is that it is true "Australiana" - made in Perth, low numbers and it is quite a nice game to play. Was thinking of selling it off, but will move it to a nice place in the entertainment room in the house where I can get some use out of it. May sell it a bit later on though ... will see.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
I received my Rottendog rectifier board today (BPS918) and it looks the same as the one currently installed.

On this page however, there is a warning about desoldering/resoldering, complexity, only skilled repair people to attempt etc:
http://rottendog.us/bps018.html

However, as the top of the page it says "direct replacement" so I am wondering if I simply plug it in or if I need to make some mods.

I won't proceed until I get clarity so I am hoping someone here has done a replacement and can offer advice on how to proceed.

Tks

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »
All they are saying is you will need to unsolder the wires from the old pcb and resolder to the new. So you need to be proficient at soldering, an eye for detail in connecting the correct wires to the correct points and confident at doing the task. Otherwise get someone to do it for you. The pcb isn't just a matter of unplugging the molex connectors. They are just covering they're arses and I think you will be ok. Mind you I haven't done one of these yet.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
Thanks for that. I will pull the board off after a detailed photo shoot and see what is connected at the rear. If it is indeed like-for-like then the existing wires should map directly to the new board. If this is the case I can solder one wire at a time and cross-reference with the wiring diagram to make sure it is correct. I plan to replace the molexs also and hopefully that will complete the upgrade job.