Author Topic: Sys 80 Non CPU boot/IRQ issue  (Read 2252 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Sys 80 Displays
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
I am tending to agree now, although initially I thought it was OK...

I've got my Chinese "Faithful" brand logic probe....

According to the 3 lines of documentation 1(red) led = high, 0(grn) led=low and pulse(yellow)=pulse.  No audio on this one...

I will start again via the Pinrepair guides for the CPU....Although my first play with the logic probe I thought was OK...

For example on the upper leg of the crystal, I get all three lights - so if I am understanding it correctly it is going high, low, high, low, high, low (pulsing)???

I would much prefer one with the lcd screen....

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »
Marty, you mention in your previous posts that you have cheked the 60 volts and gound to the displays.. Can you confirm please that you have the filiment voltage of 5 volts AC and the +5 Volts DC to the displays, before we decide it is the CPU
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »
Marty, you mention in your previous posts that you have cheked the 60 volts and gound to the displays.. Can you confirm please that you have the filiment voltage of 5 volts AC and the +5 Volts DC to the displays, before we decide it is the CPU

Have you checked the filiment voltage?

5v AC across pins 13 and 3 of A14 P1??

I will double check now.  Previously I used the green earth on the display (DMM on DC) on pin 19, and pin 17 which I got 59.? and 60.?v...
Re the 5v AC - this should be pins 15 & 16 if I am reading the schematic correctly?

Noob had is on too....A14-P1?  You may have to direct me to this as I couldn't find it....Playfields are out at moment too...

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »
Not sure what way you are reading the pins on the display.

Looking at the face of the display (glass tube) the plug that plugs into it is nombered right to left,  very left pin 21, very right pin 1.

So you should have 5 Volts AC between pins 13 and 3.  5 volts DC between pins 12 and 4.  These are pins of the plug not the display glass

Edit: wrong way around Very right pin is 1 and left is 21.. Have corrected in post above.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:25:21 PM by Dean Morgan »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
On P1 display plug I have the following (if the pins are correct)

Pin 19 - GND...Tested on all and buzzing out.

Pin 17 - 60.1v DC

Pin 16 - nothing (on AC)

Pin 15 - nothing (on AC)

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
I will check your way...I was going by pin 19 being green and buzzing to earth and on top side of pin (plastic) is labelled 19 (being far left) ...with otherside being 1...   !@#

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »
I will check your way...I was going by pin 19 being green and buzzing to earth and on top side of pin (plastic) is labelled 19 (being far left) ...with otherside being 1...   !@#

Sorry Marty, please re-read my post above... very right is pin 1

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »

OK...I'm getting tired so I will pull the pin shortly...I apologise if I'm not doing this correctly...

I've run gnd off the COM on the PSU.  On pin 12 (DC) I'm getting 4.9v.  On pin 04 (DC) I'm getting 0.0v.  On pin 3 (AC) I'm getting 0.0v.  On pin 13 (AC) I'm getting 0.0v.

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »

OK...I'm getting tired so I will pull the pin shortly...I apologise if I'm not doing this correctly...

I've run gnd off the COM on the PSU.  On pin 12 (DC) I'm getting 4.9v.  On pin 04 (DC) I'm getting 0.0v.  On pin 3 (AC) I'm getting 0.0v.  On pin 13 (AC) I'm getting 0.0v.

No need to apologise Marty.

Measure between Pins 3 and 13 for the AC voltage  i.e meter on AC volts put one lead on pin 3 and the other on pin 13,  should have a reading of 5 VAC

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »

Measure between Pins 3 and 13 for the AC voltage  i.e meter on AC volts put one lead on pin 3 and the other on pin 13,  should have a reading of 5 VAC

OK, DMM between pins 3 and 13 on AC.  0.0v

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
All that is plugged in too is the connector from power unit (from lower cab floor) to power supply, power supply to CPU, J3 (which powers from PSU to displays/playfield) and the two from the CPU to the displays.  Is there another from the power unit which should plug in?

There is A12-J4 (red) but no corresponding red plug from the loom from backbox (although one is missing label)..

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »

OK, DMM between pins 3 and 13 on AC.  0.0v

Ok, if thats correct then thats a problem.  You need this for the displays

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
I recall reading about the voltages going from the powersupply board, back to transformers then to displays?  Not sure if this is correct or a dreamt it....Is there a connection I'm missing as that may make sense?

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »
All that is plugged in too is the connector from power unit (from lower cab floor) to power supply, power supply to CPU, J3 (which powers from PSU to displays/playfield) and the two from the CPU to the displays.  Is there another from the power unit which should plug in?

There is A12-J4 (red) but no corresponding red plug from the loom from backbox (although one is missing label)..
Yes the AC is fed from A12-J4

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
OK, so at the moment, A12-J4 is NOT plugged in.  There is a red connector (fits) coming from backbox without a label.  Its the only red one...
So should they be connected together....(just cautious don't want to plug wrong shit in and really make a mess)