Author Topic: Sound issue with my Getaway  (Read 2890 times)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Sound issue with my Getaway
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
Hey guys, I having some issues with the sound on my Getaway machine. The volume acts very eratically. After you finish a game and then push the start button for a new one, the volume cranks all the way up. When you try and turn it down, it goes almost to the maimum level then goes down. Once it is down and you begin tp play a game, it then will either go up or down while you are playing.

Is there anything I can check. I have set it to manual overide in the settings so I can have it a little lower at times. I tried putting back to factory settings but no change.

Please help.

P.S Just my got my new HS today of 350 million. Thanks to Nino  and Mark again for fixing that ramp issue.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Sound issue with my Getaway
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »
Hmm,

This could be related to a couple of things (don't you just love pins!)....All good fun.

Can you do me a favour and go into the test menu and select switch levels and report back (T.2 on the menu).

If you can actually get this far, then it may just be a ground issue on the door (loose bolt or screw).

I had an issue with the switches on the door, but we won't go down that path just yet.

There are a couple of connectors which could also be at fault which we will get you to reseat as well, but one thing at a time.

If you get stuck I'll take some photos for you.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »
Yeah, I have gone to switch levels and it just cycles through as per normal I think.

Next.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Hmmm, check the volume pot first (assuming you have one) - older ones of these can tend to be a bit like what you describe.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »
Excuse my ignorance. Where would the volume pot be, and what am I looking for eactly? Just check the connections?

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »
When the volume goes up and down during a game. Does the dmd reflect the change?. I mean, does it show the volume level as it's adjusting itself?. If that is the case, i'd assume one of the 2 volume switches inside the coin door could be sticky.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
Yeah, I have gone to switch levels and it just cycles through as per normal I think.

Next.

OK, this is promising.  When one of the IC's on my CPU board went, it constantly cycled through all menu options.
As long as none of the direct switches (ones on coin door) are reporting as open then this is OK.  Press each one of them and see if it registers (in switch Edges test).  Most likely when you get to the vol up / vol down, it may stick on, or not work at all.

With machine turned OFF and UNPLUGGED at wall, raise playfield (maybe get someone to hold for you, or lock back in upright position if you're OK with this).  On the lower left corner (towards coin door) you'll see where the loom from the coin door plugs into a small PCB.  Firstly check that it is plugged in correctly and flat (if this makes sense).  If it is, gently remove plug and put back on (reseat) a few times.  From memory the coin door (and direct switches) do not run through the switch matrix.
If reseating the plug (near coin door in cab) then you'll have to carefully remove backglass and check connector J205 on the CPU board.  This plug may need reseating as well.  If this does not work, disconnect J205 completely and play a game.  If the vol goes up down with this removed, then it will be an IC issue on the CPU board.  Many of the WPC boards had batt damage in this area (from memory the U16,U17 (LM339) and U15 (74LS240) control these.  If they are the problem, might need to remove the board and send Marks (or Nino in his absence)!.  I should have the parts on hand if required.
Don't stress, easy fix.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:03:53 PM by MartyJ »

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
Cool, thanks Marty. I will try and do it tonight and let you know.

As for your question Rod. Yeah it does register on the DMD. I might try and clean the switches a little, I thought the same thing, something sounds like it sticks.

Will also try and reset like Marty suggests.

Thanks again guys.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Cool, thanks Marty. I will try and do it tonight and let you know.

As for your question Rod. Yeah it does register on the DMD. I might try and clean the switches a little, I thought the same thing, something sounds like it sticks.

Will also try and reset like Marty suggests.

Thanks again guys.

The whole unit unscrews easily (again with power off and unplugged).  Its the earth which triggers the switch so look for anything obvious.  Also check the earth to the coin door.  Make sure its tight.

If this fails, refer to my last post re J205.  This is a quick way to work out if it is plug/wire related or CPU board problem.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »
All tested fine is switch test. Gave contacts a little clean turned the machine off for 1 hr to let it chill out and it all seems to be ok for now. Will keep an eye on it, and look for loose wires etc.

Cheers

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
I spoke too soon. After about 6 games or so the issue arises.

I will have to investigate further I think

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »
Rod, I actually misread your comment, it does not show on the DMD as it adjusts itself. Sorry

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »
Excuse my ignorance. Where would the volume pot be, and what am I looking for eactly? Just check the connections?

I don't know if Getaway has a volume pot - by the sound of it there isn't one. I thought the machine was older than it is.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »

George - Check the groundstraps to the speakers. Remove the backglass, then lift the speaker / display panel out and make sure the ground wires are fitted and the nuts tightened. Give the guys at Childs a quick call to let them know about the problem.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
It happened again today. It is fine for about 4 games then it happens. Turn the machine off and on it is fine again. Very strange.

I had a look at the coin door and found a loose wire. Does anyone know if this needs to be anywhere.

I will have a look behind the  glass tomorrow as well Nino

Will work out how to insert a pic lol