Author Topic: Sound issue with my Getaway  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Sound issue with my Getaway
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

That is not right !

Lets wait for a Getaway owner to post a picture of where that wire should be.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
Yeah did not think so. I just sent a message to Mark also with it.

Your more than welcome to come over on the weekend lol, there is always fridge of beer with your name on it !!!

I am sure Marty will know where it belongs.

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »
Looks like the ground wire for the door.

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »
i have seen this before..
there is a 8pin IC on sound board that is a 'digital pot' that is failing, try freeze spray when playing up and then check component associated with this ic on the input side to confirm (including cable/header).

repaired a giligans with this exact symptom..the manual control seems to work fine still too which is really misleading.. like when it gets an update it can do it but loses it soon afterwards

regards

PS this should be pretty easy to find    %$%
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
Check that loose wire and trace it back onto the door itself.  Does it attach to something metal?  If so then it's the ground wire for the door and this needs to be connected to ground braid in the cabinet.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
Humpalot, I think it is a ground wire also. There is ground wire already on the door, which is what threw me off. This wire looks too short to reach the door, so I thought it should go somewhere inside the machine, but did not want to touch anything.

NUG- Which one is the sound board. (pardon my ignorance, this is all too technical for my liking. Truth be known, I see all these wires and freak out lol, yet I used to work on Pc's and home theatres lol.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 07:41:18 PM »
Humpalot, I think it is a ground wire also. There is ground wire already on the door, which is what threw me off. This wire looks too short to reach the door, so I thought it should go somewhere inside the machine, but did not want to touch anything.

NUG- Which one is the sound board. (pardon my ignorance, this is all too technical for my liking. Truth be known, I see all these wires and freak out lol, yet I used to work on Pc's and home theatres lol.

That loose wire should just reach around the door frame inside the cabinet and screw into the cabinet ground braid, the other end is already attached to the door.  I don't believe that your door is currently connected to ground.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »

As per my previous post, locate in the backbox connector J205 and with power off, disconnect it.  Power game up and play for a while.  See if problem persists.

The direct switches on these bypass the switch matrix and can only be one of two things generally.  Ground issue or MPU board issue.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 12:54:56 AM »
That looks alot cleaner than mine Marty. I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your machine. If you get a chance post some. The bottom decal looked very clean.

I will have a good fiddle with things tomorrow and if I get stuck, I will post some more pics etc.

Cheers

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
That looks alot cleaner than mine Marty. I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your machine. If you get a chance post some. The bottom decal looked very clean.

I will have a good fiddle with things tomorrow and if I get stuck, I will post some more pics etc.

Cheers

THanks!

I did cheat with the coin door.  Cannot take credit other than buying a NOS door and bolting it in.  Does make a big difference.  Hence why everyone jumping on MarkC's deal with NOS doors!
Few more pics of my machine (before and after).
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1063.0

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »
That looks fantastic Marty. Very jealous. Like I said, how much fro you to do mine!!!!!

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
Hey Marty, I have reseated as suggested. I hae taken some more pics, my only concern is the loose wire which looks like a ground wire.

I have followed the it through the braid an it looks like the other end is connected to the coin door as ground.

Any suggestions where is should go?

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
It doesn't matter where it goes so long as it is connected to the ground braid in some way.

I keep saying to attach the ground wire and MartyJ thought that it was a "Ground issue or MPU board issue".

So please fix the ground problem and lets see if it fixes your sound problem.  If it doesn't fix you particular sound problem, we are at least one step closer and your pinball will be correctly wired.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
It doesn't matter where it goes so long as it is connected to the ground braid in some way.

I keep saying to attach the ground wire and MartyJ thought that it was a "Ground issue or MPU board issue".

So please fix the ground problem and lets see if it fixes your sound problem.  If it doesn't fix you particular sound problem, we are at least one step closer and your pinball will be correctly wired.

+1.

Door must be grounded and it has popped off or fallen off.  Make sure to clean the paint away (enough for screw head) so it makes good ground.  It would have been connected previously so it should be easy to see.

This will eliminate one problem as Humpalot suggested before moving on to next.
Have you a Digital Multimeter at home?  You won't need it for the next step, but if you do have it handy.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
Nah, i will go and buy a multimeter tomorrow.

So as long as I connect this wire to the door/metal the ground will be ok correct?