Author Topic: Sound issue with my Getaway  (Read 2888 times)

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Sound issue with my Getaway
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:41 PM »
WRONG.

1. It's already connected to the door. 

2. Connect the thing to the ground braid, a screw will do if you can't locate the original position for it.

3.  Once connected to the ground braid the door will be correctly grounded. 

(note the ground braid is the silver braid wire that is stapled to the inside of the cabinet and is attached to everything metal.)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 08:36:26 PM »
My bad.   @.@

I didn't look at the photo close enough.  I think upon closer inspection I see another one on the inside of the leg bracket which should hopefully be connected to the braid.  If you had a DMM a quick continuity test would confirm.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »

Mick is right - Just screw it to a ground braid and report back !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »
Thanks guys, and thanks for the eplanation of the ground braid. I had a close look, and there was one connected to the ground braid, but the wire had been cut. I look around and saw no evidence of this wire anywhere else, so I have connected the loose wire in its place. machine fires up ok. I will have a play a little later tonight and will report back.

Thanks for the continued support and sorry for my ignorance.

I am learning heaps which is a plus.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »
Ok, I think we can rule out a ground issue. I connected it to the ground braid as suggested, machine still has the problem. I will get my hands on a multimeter tomorrow and wil wait for further instructions.

Ah the joy of pinball machines.

Also just discovered there is a little grey piece missing from the top left ramp on the superharger.

Does anyone know if this piece is really needed so is it just asthetics. Ocasionally, the supercharger is also slow, any ideas?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 08:11:54 AM »
OK.
Door grounded - issue out of the way.

If you are confident (with game off and unplugged) remove backglass) locate the connector J205 - it will be on the left hand side - lower corner I think.  There is screen printing in white of the numbers for each connector.  Some are printed either above or below the individual connector.

Carefully remove the connector and leave disconnected.

This is isolating the switches completely.  If the problem continues we may need to look at a fault on the MPU board.
If the problem goes away, there may be either a connector issue or wiring issue between J205 and coin interface board -> switches.

This is where a DMM (multimeter) will come in handy.  Don't stress if you havn't got one yet.

This fixed the problem on my Getaway, so if the above cannot isolate it, over to Humpalot!

Re the ramp - if its the metal part (1/2 way and near top) then it is normal.  I thought the same thing!
Supercharger sometimes going slow?  Does it speed up.  Mine sometimes starts of slow but speeds up quickly.  If not might be a magnet not plugged in or dead.  Plug and play fix on the magnets but we'll get your sound issue sorted first.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:16:33 AM by MartyJ »

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 08:24:35 AM »
Yep as MartyJ said  ^^^

1. As Rod71 said I'd check the coin door switches (mainly the + volume one), do they move freely or are they sticky from stuff being spilled?  They can be cleaned by soaking in metho or alcohol.

2. Then as Nug suggested and this is straight from http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index3.htm#sound

Volume up FULL and Can't turn it Down.
The volume control on all WPC games is electronic. On pre WPC-DCS games, this is controlled by an electronic prom pot. This E-pot is a X9503, at location U5 on the sound board. If turning the volume up or down has no effect, and the volume is stuck on full blast, this is the first component that should be checked. Also the capacitor C18 (47 mfd, 25 volts) that connects to the E-pot can fail too, and should be checked. As described above, the electronic volume control can be disabled by removing A-12738 sound board jumper W9 to disconnect the software controlled volume circuit. Then connect a potentiometer (any value 5k to 200k ohms should work) to connector J507:

* J507 pin 2: To center pot leg
    * J507 pin 4: To outside pot leg (Analog ground)

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. You guys talk a different language. Sounds way too technical.

Thanks for the link Hump, after reading the sound issues, this is the best one that fits my problem.

Intermittent Sound Cuts and Shrieks.
After playing a WPC game for a while (5 minutes or longer), the game sound starts to cut out or in some cases it will emit an extremely loud tone that can get louder and louder until the speaker (or your eardrum) blows. If you turn off the game and re-start, the problem will appear again very shortly. Sometimes you can play a while and it never happens. Often the heat sink attachment to the TDA amps can be very poor and cause the amp(s) to overheat. You can feel the amp(s) get red hot. Solution is to simply un-bolt the sinks, re-grease them and re-attach, making sure to use a locking washer or kep nut to stop it from coming loose.

Now I just need to find where these amps are and see what they are talking about.

I will look for the j205 connector also and try that Marty.

I am going to have to buy you guys a slab of beer or something for all this help.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

If you run out of luck mate - Let me know and I'll pop in next week and have a look
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
Yeah thanks for that Nino. I might have to take you up on that. I will have a look today and see how I go.

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »
sound bard is middle of top row(but familiarise yourself with the others)...

if it were the coin door buttons.. wouldnt you see bargraph volume ADJ? (i thought they all did this (wpc))

sounds data 'ish to me

check from where the volume adj data is coming from on the soundbaord and see if everything looks ok.
or i reckon C18 could be a dry joint culprit as an early bet !

regards
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »
Ok removed J205 and played 4 games and it happened again. Seems to happen after about 20 to 30 mins of game play.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Leave it on, keep playing.

If this is the case - ie error doesnt happen will be an easier fix.  I would suggest a couple of hours, intermittent games.

**Edit...OK.  It did happen again.....

Bummer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:51:46 PM by MartyJ »

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
if it were the coin door buttons.. wouldnt you see bargraph volume ADJ? (i thought they all did this (wpc))

Yep they do, but wanted to exclude the simple things first.  Also thought maybe they don't look at the display whilst the ball is in play and it may of been missed.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »
Ok removed J205 and played 4 games and it happened again. Seems to happen after about 20 to 30 mins of game play.

Might want to take up Nino's offer of help.  These types of problems are so much easier to troubleshoot when they are in front of you.