Author Topic: Sound issue with my Getaway  (Read 2906 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Sound issue with my Getaway
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »
Ok.  My eyes are not working correctly at the moment.    ^.^

Misread that it 'didn't happen' again.

On mine, when this problem occurred, the display showed the volume bar going up.  Mine also did it with J205 unplugged.

Mine occurred due to batt damage on the CPU board.

If you are able to take a photo of the batteries on the board - close up and clear (macro shot) just to eliminate this otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
Nino, if you can come over one day let me know. I am fairly flexible, so any time that suits you really.

Marty, you are confusing me lol. To repeat, when I disconnected j205, I could not mannually adjust the volume up or down. I played the game as suggested and after 4 games or so, it cranked up on its own when I started a new game, i.e when I pushed the start butotn( That seems to trigger it).

Knowing my luck I have not connected something, and it is a simple fix, but who knows. As you once said the joys of pinball.

I will try and have a word to the boys at Childs also, se what they say.

Still have to look at the charger problem, it seems to be getting weaker and weaker. sometimes barely makes one loop.
Could it be something that I might need new balls due to magnetic issues or something?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »
Nino, if you can come over one day let me know. I am fairly flexible, so any time that suits you really.

Marty, you are confusing me lol. To repeat, when I disconnected j205, I could not mannually adjust the volume up or down. I played the game as suggested and after 4 games or so, it cranked up on its own when I started a new game, i.e when I pushed the start butotn( That seems to trigger it).

Knowing my luck I have not connected something, and it is a simple fix, but who knows. As you once said the joys of pinball.

I will try and have a word to the boys at Childs also, se what they say.

Still have to look at the charger problem, it seems to be getting weaker and weaker. sometimes barely makes one loop.
Could it be something that I might need new balls due to magnetic issues or something?

Yeah sorry I misread your initial response and I thought it had resolved the issue.
Buttons wont work with J205 unplugged.  It is mainly to try an isolate the problem either to the CPU board or to the switches themselves.  Due to the fact with the volume is still going up with the switches disconnected indicates that the problem is not the switches.  It can be now either an issue as suggested by Humpalot re the soundcard or the actual CPU board.  If you are able to post a photo of the area I described above this will help (looking for area to left of batteries and underneith)
Are you also able to clarify if whilst playing the volume bar appeared on the DMD display?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:36:58 PM by MartyJ »

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »
Here are some pics. Let me know if they are ok, or what you wanted. At least this is getting me ripping the machine open  :D

Not sure if it is anything, but found another connection that was not connected.

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »
Boards look to be clean.

Pretty sure that loose connection is for the knocker.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 01:25:19 AM »
That makes sense.

Thanks for that.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 07:59:33 AM »
Boards look to be clean.

Pretty sure that loose connection is for the knocker.

Yep, it does look clean. 

Ok thats me out.......

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »
Your board looks damage free (from the photos) so I'd say Humpalot is 100% on the money again.
I don't have any parts for the soundboards to help you out with unfortunately.  If Nino pops in to check it and needs something else, I've got quite a few spare IC's for the CPU boards.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 09:21:48 PM »
childs rang me today and are sending another board for me to try. Thanks for the help everyone, I have learnt alot.

Next problem.

Supercharger seems buggered. It initially gave me a diverter error, so I went into the supercharger test and opto switch one was open.  It now does say that it is closed. But now the charger does not seem to work. Ball is lucky to go around once. I could have well buggered the settings myself. What tests can i do to isolate the problem. As you are all aware the problem began a couple of days ago.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »

Does the diverter arm move freely ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »
What is the diverter exactly. I should mention now that nothing comes up on the test report as not working like it used to.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »
What is the diverter exactly. I should mention now that nothing comes up on the test report as not working like it used to.

It is the gate that guides the ball around the supercharger, then opens to allow the ball through the top LHS ramp - near the upside down "U".

With the game off - it should be able to be opened and then spring closed.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
yeah that does work.

Offline slammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
Make sure that the sender and reciever LED's are spotless, clean with a cotton bud in Nifty and then a dry cotton bud to dry. There are three in the supercharger assembly that goes across the ramp/slot.

Then do to the swich test and put a screwdriver in bewteen the sensors to see if they are opening and closing as they should.

When all of this is done, then do a super charger speed test and let me know what you get.

Cheers Angelo

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
OK first regarding the sound issue. Childs has provided another sound board. I have put it on and will test. Fingers crossed.

Now for the Supercharger:

WIth the guys at childs on the phone, I did a sensor test and they all open and close, tested by using a screwdriver as suggested by Childs and Angelo. Then did a speed test and got numbers like 46, 71. The most I got was 226 but I might have thrown the ball up there very quickly myself. The ball only does one loop and comes back down the entrance ramp.

It was suggested that Nino's services might be required again by the boys at Childs.

Cheers