Author Topic: Capcom Pinball Magic Playfield Swap  (Read 517 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Capcom Pinball Magic Playfield Swap
« on: April 27, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

The latest project has been to complete the Pinball Magic playfield swap.

Eltimbo took the NOS playfield I had, and removed the factory clear and treated it to his fantastic process, leaving a flawless finish that looks like glass.

Here's a shot of the playfield being prepped -

The old playfield stripped -

The old field didn't have too many problems, in fact just a little wear at the scoop  -

The new playfield was not dimpled - this was a bit of a concern, I'd never received one that wasn't dimpled. So I grabbed some tracing paper -

Then at each hole, I just pressed a punch into the existing hole until I'd covered them all (only missed a couple in the end) -

Tim's cleared playfield getting ready for the swap in of components - the photos don't do it justice - it shines!!

And quite a few hours later......

There's something very rewarding about a complete playfield swap, seeing an older game come to life looking brand spanking new.

And boy, does it play well! I was a little worried about the ball speed, as this game is fast - yes, it's a bit quicker, but somehow plays better, and the speed is terrific but the game still fun to play, not too fast at all. I actually found it was missing a rubber post during the swap, which deflects fast loop shots away so that they don't SDTM. Adding that back makes the game much more enjoyable.

I have had this game a while, and pretty much got all the enjoyment out of it I wanted - before it gets too many plays on the new field, thought I would put this in the "for sale if anyone is interested" category, shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss. Looking around $3,500.00 or make me an offer - includes many new parts - new wand hand (didn't bother putting in as the old one was still nice), lots of new plastics including spare new slings etc.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Capcom Pinball Magic Playfield Swap
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
Looks great as you said its a fast fun game PM, good luck with the sale.

Peter

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »
Never played one of these but I would love to get my greasy mits on one for a while, it looks damn cool.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Re: Capcom Pinball Magic Playfield Swap
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »
The last few Capcoms are so different to play.  Really well engineered and everything is solid. Pinball Magic is a great player and IMO better than TOM.  Good luck with sale

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
Jeepers, nice nice nice.  I have a soft spot for PM.  I know it is very cliche but if i wasn't buying another machine in the very near future it would be hard to go past Nick's PM.  Don't offer a payment plan do you Nick?
Addicted to pins.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
Nice one pinnies!
Looks great. How awesome is it having a new playfield for this game?

I was lucky with my PM playfield as it was already dimpled and 'T' nutted when I got it.
I also left out those posts under the sling shots as I was worried I would damage the playfield trying to get them in.
How did you get yours in?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »
Nice one pinnies!

I was lucky with my PM playfield as it was already dimpled and 'T' nutted when I got it.
I also left out those posts under the sling shots as I was worried I would damage the playfield trying to get them in.

Thanks!

Did you mean these posts? I just drilled slightly undersized holes and screwed them in.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Nice one pinnies!

Thanks!

Did you mean these posts? I just drilled slightly undersized holes and screwed them in.

Yeah.
I wasn't game to install them and the other ones the same, on the playfield, I replaced with the type that go all the way through.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »

Yes, probably a good idea. I figure that they don't actually carry any real stress so they'll be OK, but your solution was a good one, didn't actually think about it at the time!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
It looks great Nick, this is a very fast, fun and challenging game. I love mine  *%* Great price there to with the new playfield and all.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »
Looks very nice mate ^^^
Good luck with the sale, will be a shame to see it go

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »
Looks great Nick no dimples what a pain....

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 12:23:41 AM »
Timbo and I put a few games on it tonight, I think the consensus is its not going anywhere now, game has moved from top game to awesome game, the new playfield has really enhanced the game, way more than I could have expected.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 12:30:35 AM »
Timbo and I put a few games on it tonight, I think the consensus is its not going anywhere now, game has moved from top game to awesome game, the new playfield has really enhanced the game, way more than I could have expected.

There never easy to let go i say the same about paragon might sell it while its still beautiful.  But never can go through with it

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »

Cool. I'm glad you're keeping it Pinnies.
It'd be a shame to sell such an awesome game after putting so much work into it.