Author Topic: F-14 Cabinet Stencils or full decals  (Read 484 times)

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
F-14 Cabinet Stencils or full decals
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »

Hi Guys,

do F14 paint stencils or full decals exist ?

I have done the usual WWW searches,looks like they used to exist Marco has a kit out of stock listed..

Getting Fairly intricate for a Spray mask I think but I guess thats how they did them originally..

I have found the side art digitised in AI format but dont know how good it is...

I guess I could trace mine..... !@#

Any ideas???
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: F-14 Cabinet Stencils or full decals
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
F-14 looks like screen print to me... how large is the AI file?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:01:02 PM »
I haven't come across the cabinet artwork but here is a link to some other items for F14 as well as other machines.

http://www.muddeatr.com/Downloads.htm
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
F-14 looks like screen print to me... how large is the AI file?

side and head are 450k odd each...

ok wasnt aware they screenprinted the cabs in that era?

thats why it looks too good for a spray template!

other idea I had was to sand original and seal with clear and touch it up much like a playfield,

all options unfortunatly a lot of work...... ^.^
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:13:09 PM by TUF-427 »
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
Thats a small AI file and print quality wouldnt be that good... if it had been converted to jpeg and that size id say OK.
Its possible that its been simplified and layers merged etc... do you have a drawing program that can open it up?? If so expand to correct size and see if the edges are breaking up

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
Thats a small AI file and print quality wouldnt be that good... if it had been converted to jpeg and that size id say OK.
Its possible that its been simplified and layers merged etc... do you have a drawing program that can open it up?? If so expand to correct size and see if the edges are breaking up

Ok will hunt someone down with illustrator and have a look...

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
I have illustrator, happy to try and help you or save as another file type.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
Cool Jady I will email em to ya..Pm me your address please!

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
Hi Peter

I sent you a email but since you may be still having email issues here are some details.

I had a look at the files, and am no expert myself, I use to be an enthusiast many years ago on Corel but switched to a Mac and now just play with Illustrator from time to time.

This is what I found:
- overall a great file to start with but having never seen a F-14 in the flesh I can not confirm how accurate it is to the real thing.
- the scale of the cabinet is small compared to say the WH20 that I draw up as a green box shape to compare with. Send me the front height measurement, back height measurement, base length measurement and angle length measurement and then I can accurately scale up for you.
- the scale of the backbox is the other way with the design being bigger than the WH20 box shape (yes it is just the overall width and height - no angles but gives you a reference)
- there is no design for the left side only the right side of the cabinet - though not a big drama doing a mirror of "OMCA" and a few mods with the back graphics, as well as a flip with the F-14.
- who ever has drawn it has done well but also has taken a few short cuts as there are a few weird individual shape extensions so some cleaning up would be required.
- There is no graphic for the coin door panel but I reckon if you were to issue me some dimensions I think I could do this as well using the tomcat from the side graphics to the coin door
- Lastly the backbox rhs and lhs could use the same image but just mirrored (would have to confirm this as I just checked out the pinball database) - there are a few curves that don't look clean to me here and there so maybe a few photos could proof these.

Hope that helps

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
Hi Peter

I now have so much more respect for those guys who do decals for cabinets (for the love of it and a bit of challenge and feeling proud at the end) - a lot of work and I started with a half quality CS3 file, not from scratch.

I have done half of the cabinet and all of the backbox which is attached as a teaser. I used the existing file which was rough when you look at it closely and also used your photos and others off the net to get something that looks fairly clean as well as some edges cleaned up as you said there was some variances with the screen printing.

What do you think so far?

ps - the grey border is going to be black but it is the extra border for any backbox variations that then can be trimmed down. Also the picture is just a screen shot so res. is low and is alot sharper as the CS3 file.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:22:00 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »
Mate look Fantastic ^^^

Youve got more patience than me with these, its going to look far better than the original screenprint job....

Cheers Peter..

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 10:21:17 PM »
Hi Peter

Here is a little more of a teaser, ended up redrawing all the lettering and just getting the stripes cleaned up now and then lastly the badge. Once that is done can lower onto the cabinet and then proceed to the lhs. Not far off though.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »
wow very good work swinks, i wish i was skilled enough to do this sort of thing. love to redo my wcs94 machine

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »
Hey Jady,

hope you wernt workin on these too hard over Crissy /new year, hope you had a good one mate  %$%

Looking awesome as usual with the Decal Redraw, ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Your making me feel slack now I need to get back into finishing that playfield off  %.%

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »
Next Installment: - The Coin Door

Used the same font from the side of the cabinet but scaled down and then applied the 2mm offset white path (there is some slight variance compared to the photo but all balanced and equal -2mm all round). Thanks for the dimensions and photo - makes a huge difference. The grey border section represents the extra width and height to allow for any variance in cabinets

for pinball t-shirts