Author Topic: WMS World Cup - yet another machine turns up  (Read 1173 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
WMS World Cup - yet another machine turns up
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
It seems lately everyone is getting one of these!

There was project WMS World Cup machine that turned up on ebay the other day. Described as not working but lighting up. Anyway I ended up buying it. The play field is filthy, dirt and dust is throughout the cabinet, back glass ok, boards look good with minimal corrosion, cabinet is a bit rough - knocked around and the rear chip board panel is disintegrating a bit, everything present except for coin mechs and coin box.

Anyway, I put it together today - checked all the fuse ratings, measured the coil resistances and diodes, verified free movement of solenoid mechanisms and finally measured the power supply with everything disconnected.  All seemed ok, so I connected it up and turned it on. Mostly it works and looks to be fun.  An "interesting" mod has been made to the right eject hole - it's got foam stuffed into it to prevent the ball landing. When I touched the ball switch the machine went ape with solenoids firing all over the place and the flippers dropped out, so maybe a good mod.  Cool early electronic sounds and the ability to simulate a chime box through the sound card! One display is not working, but other than that and needing a good clean it seems ok.  I'm a happy chap and here are some pics.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: WMS World Cup - yet another machine turns up
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »
Nice score Dave  its a fun game everyone loved coming back to the one i had

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »

Nice machine - interesting mods on the power supply !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinballben93

• Forum Posts:
  • Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:31:13 PM »
Nice pick up mate
Knew someone who had one
Should sell pretty well

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:04:02 PM »

Yeh - whats the go there?? looks like another cap(?) in parallel... ach, ive done the same thing myself

BG on these machines is notorious for being in a bad shape.. looks like your one is just about holding up. I had one of these BGs and the artwork was just peeling off in sheets... id be sealing that one ASAP

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
aahh I remember that game in its day

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »

Yeh - whats the go there?? looks like another cap(?) in parallel... ach, ive done the same thing myself

BG on these machines is notorious for being in a bad shape.. looks like your one is just about holding up. I had one of these BGs and the artwork was just peeling off in sheets... id be sealing that one ASAP

Yep the power supply mod is bodgy - two caps in parallel to get the correct value, the second is loosely cable tied to the harness!  I can't live with it, but the ac ripple is very low.  The transformer also makes an awful hum, so I have to have a look at mountings etc.

The BG has bits of tape on the rear covering some scars and I'm scared of removing them for lifting paint - will have to have a closer look. As part of the clean up I plant to put leds in the backbox GI so this should help.  Retropin when you say the BG are notorious for being in bad shape do you mean WC machines? or WMS machines of this vintage or just generally machines of this vintage?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:06:12 AM by FirePower »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
JEEZ thats a pearler of a fix.. tape on the backglass @.@ i bet that would just make ya wanna find the idiot who did that and smack 'em in the head!! well thats how i feel when i see anything like that on anything i buy!! the cap hanging off the power supply board is good too :lol

looks like a good project though. looking forward to the restore thread

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »

Yep the power supply mod is bodgy - two caps in parallel to get the correct value, the second is loosely cable tied to the harness!  I can't live with it, but the ac ripple is very low.  The transformer also makes an awful hum, so I have to have a look at mountings etc.

The BG has bits of tape on the rear covering some scars and I'm scared of removing them for lifting paint - will have to have a closer look. As part of the clean up I plant to put leds in the backbox GI so this should help.  Retropin when you say the BG are notorious for being in bad shape do you mean WC machines? or WMS machines of this vintage or just generally machines of this vintage?

WMS machines are generally good for the BG holding up... but for some reason World Cup backglasses always seem to be just peeling off

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »

WMS machines are generally good for the BG holding up... but for some reason World Cup backglasses always seem to be just peeling off

They must have experimented with a different paint process, or something.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »

I think it is thinner paint and the heat from the globes toasted the paint and then it falls off in flakes. WC and Time Warp are nearly always this bad.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinballrocks

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
 Congrats on the WC.  ^^^

The BG looks in better condition than mine. Im now juggling 3 projects at once so still havent fixed my displays.
 Yours will probably be completed before mine.  *%*
:) :)      PAUL     :):)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »
Looks good. I would seal the BG. mine was peeling something awful as well. Once I put the sealer on, it stopped completely. I should have mine fired up this weekend hopefully.

Good pick up.