Author Topic: OT.. Anyone know about classic car compliance in QLD???  (Read 5248 times)

Offline guyricho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: OT.. Anyone know about classic car compliance in QLD???
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
Holiday season, so the people I need to talk to at RTA aren't there till way after the new year..

..My question is though, that im off to look at a 1961 classic British convertible sports car. Car has previously been registered to a club but that has elapsed so a new registration is required.
Being a 1961 model it was NOT fitted with seat belts as they were not regulation back then. Law in England is that anything pre 1962 that did not have seat belts is not required to have them retro fitted. Post 1962 seat belts are compulsory.
I cant seem to get anyone to be able to tell me if I would require to have seat belts fitted or not to pass registration as a ROAD vehicle.
Anyone have a classic car and is knowledgeable in this area?

There was a law that voided you of needing rear seat belts, but I am unsure if that has changed or not now. !@#

Having owned classics my self I know what you are talking about but I have never bothered to explore what those laws are because I have opted for the safety of seat-belt, even though they were lap belts in the rear, which I know you could get away with due to its age.

So I have had belts fitted and had compliance plates added for QLD rego.
one reason was safety and also so I didnt ever have to argue the case to the transport department (which will probably get you no where)  &^&

Installing belts isn't that hard and rather easy to get past compliance, if that helps?  ^^^

Regards Rich