Author Topic: Pinball shed stash  (Read 5194 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Pinball shed stash
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »
So, the adventure did continue.....

After old mate came back with an offer of $6k, i decided not to go down the path of the previously suggested email (as funny as it would have been) and take the polite route.

I pointed out that none of the pins were worth over $5k, unless i went all out with a TZ or Addams, and even then it would be top $$$ and you would have to put almost that into them.  I also pointed out some local recent sales showing as well as my Monster Bash restoration to show that i was actually capable and interested in the hobby.  A day later he came back to me with a much reduced price, although a bit higher than my initial offer. He also wanted one machine left there which was Dracula. This is definitely not a way to make a quick buck, but i reckon i should recoup my costs over time, plus get a machine or two and/or a heap of spares out of it.  The other big motivating factors were:

1. If/when i get one the machines going that many would consider past it, it will be simply a feeling of satisfaction of bringing one back from the dead!
2. I have long service leave starting this week until mid Jan, so have some time on my hands
3. I'm always up for a challenge

So, i contacted a bloke down the road who had bought a fishtales off me a few years back as he had a 4.6m trailer and he was more than happy to loan it to me (for a few repairs to a jukebox he has).

So grabbed a mate (stalker on this forum) and we headed off to Maggie Island on the Barge 1st thing in the morning.  The first unnerving bit was pulling off the barge where the guy reckoned we wouldn't get back as the tides were dropping and with the car/trailer being pretty low, we wouldn't get back on.  We did not want to be stuck over there for 10 hours as we had a gluttonous traditional Thanksgiving feast to attend at some friends place (which was mighty fine i must add!).

Anyway, we cruised around to the place and simply hooked in.  Got a couple of the front machines out onto the lawn to properly reveal the others

It was a fair effort with only two of us to get the top ones off, particularly the TZ at the back of the shed, which had no base and was wedged back against the wall.  With lots of effort (and sweat, it was about 85% humidity) we finally got it off.  You will also notice to the right of the TZ and Dr Who is the unknown on top (Getaway), but also a Black Rose which we didn't see last visit!

We managed to remove one possum from Party Zone, as well as another crawled/bolted out of Getaway as we lifted it.  That was not an enjoyable experience.

So then we had to attack the other storage room with the 2nd TZ in it.  This is the doorway, and there was junk piled pretty much to the roof - and of course the TZ was right at the far back corner.

So again we just hooked in and pulled all the crap out and this is what we found

A 2nd Dr Who under the TZ that was impossible to see the previous week!

Both this TZ and Dr Who are in pretty good condition (note - this is a very relative term!!!!) - cabs are pretty soild, as are bases.  Boards are all good with no acid damage, and from peering through the glass, the playfields are filthy but cant see any obvious wear and insert issues.

So then we loaded them all (12) onto the trailer - had about 10mm overhang of the backbox - it was the perfect size! We tarped the load up to stop any dodgy bases flying off in the trip home and headed back to the barge.  All up it took just under 3 hours to move a heap of junk and load them onto the trailer.

Getting back onto the barge was not a problem, so that was a big relief........until we tried to get off. The car would not get out of park (auto), tried pushing hard on the brake, park brake on/off, rocking the car all to no avail.  Anyway, the barge attendants started to get toey and started to organise a tilt tray to move me off, but they would have to send me back to the island and back again as there were other vehicles needing transport over.  I could just see the $$$s adding up in a real hurry - another $360 trip for the barge, $500 for tilt tray etc etc.  Anyway, my mate very quickly googled 'maxima stuck in park' and all i needed to do was push in the shift lock button (very obvious now!) and get it out - apprently this is for tow truck guys to override a stuck gearbox.  So cruised off with a big sigh of relief as i thought the deal might have got a whole lot more expensive.  Afterwards, another mate deduced the problem without even looking at it - a short in the trailer caused the brake light fuse to blow, so the car didn't think the brake pedal was on, so wouldn't let it out of park! new fuse, and all fixed.

So we got the load home safely, and started to unpack. the dog was pretty excited as she could smell a possum somewhere...

Sure enough, wedged inside one of the backboxes was another festy little critter

We got them all unloaded and scattered throughout the shed, and i have the fans cranking to try and get some airflow happening

Haven't taken any glass off yet, but 1st glance is that Addams, TZ and Dr Who are OK with faded but straight enough cabs.  Peering inside the coin doors, the playfields from the bottom also look OK with all of the internals still there bar a few transformers/speakers in those machines with bases missing.  All translites bar one TZ are intact.

So, it was a day of great fun, with a few panic moments thrown in to liven things up.

At the moment, not really sure where i'm going to start = whether try to work on the Addams or TZ, or open them all up and give a good vacuum, scrub and airing.  Fun times ahead!