Author Topic: Business accounting software  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Business accounting software
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
Business accounting software

Time I joined the cool kids and stopped using pen and paper to do my accounting for my business.

I am a small business, I do not need anything fancy

I know there is software that I can put on my PC, but it seems expensive
My accountant has told me of some sites that I can do it on line, but I am wary of keeping my accounts on somebody else's server

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pete

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Business accounting software
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »

My wife runs my books and a couple other of her clients on MYOB. I have looked at this with her early on and seems relatively easy to navigate.

I think the other major one is Quick Books which I remember we used with one of my businesses a while back and the accounts people didn't like it much (no idea why).

I agree about server/cloud hosted stuff - no matter how secure the systems are, nothing beats a local instal (with an auto back up system in place) for security in comparison.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »

My wife runs my books and a couple other of her clients on MYOB. I have looked at this with her early on and seems relatively easy to navigate.

I think the other major one is Quick Books which I remember we used with one of my businesses a while back and the accounts people didn't like it much (no idea why).

I agree about server/cloud hosted stuff - no matter how secure the systems are, nothing beats a local instal (with an auto back up system in place) for security in comparison.

Although I've been out of the game for the past 13 or so years, both MYOB and Quicken / Quickbooks are pretty much the main players.

Just a word of warning though...Generally the software purchase is for a single years version.  All the tax updates etc you won't get automatically unless you pay the yearly fee to keep the software up to date.

Having said that, MYOB is popular and certainly easy to use.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
What sort of cost are you looking at for MYOB?

Is it something you can teach yourself or do you need to do a course?
Addicted to pins.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »

It depends on what you want out of it...MYOB has simple invoicing programs which were around $100.00 right up to several thousand for the premier versions (network sharing etc)...

http://myob.com.au/products/small-business/pc-accounting-1257830102546

Yes MYOB offer courses and many Tafe's do as well.  MYOB is the sort of package that once you've set it up correctly it is not hard to use (day to day functions).

However, again it depends on whether you are doing all your BAS submissions yourself, tax, super, wages etc, or have a book keeper come in once a week to do these functions for you (on your software)...

Its probably worth the time to speak to a consultant to see what is best for each individual and your business.  Just make sure to ask what your yearly ongoing fees are for the software and about updates etc....Again something that may seem cheap can add up quick...

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »

I have only had a quick look
there seems to be a version that sells for $350
another one that is just under $1000
there also seems to be a version that is $65 per month

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

It depends on what you want out of it...MYOB has simple invoicing programs which were around $100.00 right up to several thousand for the premier versions (network sharing etc)...

http://myob.com.au/products/small-business/pc-accounting-1257830102546

Yes MYOB offer courses and many Tafe's do as well.  MYOB is the sort of package that once you've set it up correctly it is not hard to use (day to day functions).

However, again it depends on whether you are doing all your BAS submissions yourself, tax, super, wages etc, or have a book keeper come in once a week to do these functions for you (on your software)...

Its probably worth the time to speak to a consultant to see what is best for each individual and your business.  Just make sure to ask what your yearly ongoing fees are for the software and about updates etc....Again something that may seem cheap can add up quick...

invoicing is not needed
just wages and BAS statements

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:03 PM »
I use MYOB for my business and it's pretty easy, particularly once you are set up.   I don't have a book keeper, and lodge the BAS/GST myself.  I also do all the payroll and data entry myself too.  Well, I have now trained my wife up on it and hand balled her a lot of the day to day stuff with it now it's all in place.  That's the thing once you set it up it's a piece of cake to maintain, plus doing your BAS/GST takes a matter of minutes if you are up to date with your data entry.  You can also use it on a very simple/basic level or make it as detailed as you want.  Depends how much information you want from it as to how detailed you set it up and make some of the data entry.

At the end of the financial year I just email the MYOB file to my accountant.  He then comes back to me after he's done my tax returns with the adjusting journal entries and I put those in.  Works pretty easy.

If you have wages then you will need the version with Payroll in it. I think my version is Account Edge Pro which has the payroll.  I paid for an annual sub******ion which was about $695 from memory, but looking at their site now it seems it's up around $1,000.  There is a trick to the annual renewal tho.  The annual payment effectively gives you access to any updates that they give you during the 12 months.  The main updates typically happen at the end of the financial year when they add in any legislative changes, e.g. changes to tax rates etc.  Rarely are there significant changes during the financial year.

So what does this mean, well if you purchase your 12 months sub******ion in say early July 2014 then obviously it won't expire until July of 2015.  Consequently in July of 2015 you download your next financial years update with tax changes etc just before your sub******ion expires, then you are pretty much set for the 2015 financial year and don't need to renew your sub******ion.  Then in July 2016 you pay again and get the update for that financial year and start again.  Effectively it means you only need to pay every second year.  It's worked fine for me - hope that makes sense.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
I would never have thought Marty knew stuff like myob but he's spot on. You need to decide what you want to control/untilize. Whether you want to track debtors, creditors, keep inventory, payroll, etc etc. Premier is the multiuser networking package and I think its not much chop. It can be quite unstable and if one person crashes its all off the system for that user to get on again via deleting a .lok file.

Its a good package though for the Low end market of which you are in. I don't think you're planning on being a multi national any time soon.

Yearly service agreements are a must if you plan to run payroll otherwise being out of date shouldn't be a drama unless your version is bug ridden and causes you grief.

Btw I'd buy it if I needed it even though I think its not great but it does the job it was intended for. Holdens aren't Ferraris but they get me to work if you get my drift
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:02:50 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:13 PM »
Thanks Rob...I think!

Ahh long ago before my male modeling career took off I actually spent a few years working in one of Australia's largest accounting firms (not as an accountant) and had lots of hands on experience with every accounting package available at that time.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
Quikbooks is set up for a more basic business and costs less from my past efforts years n years ago.

MYOB tends to be sooo much more expensive but it does offer FULL packages for far bigger businesses.

See what sort of deal you can get on the software at JB Hi Fi or say the Good Guys. I never buy software off the net. Pirated n not the real deal. With a walk in purchase you can always take it back if u don't like it or if its not working correctly.
I would go for Quick Books. It is a lot easier to use. I used it many many yeears ago n it was idiot proof back then before I was trading too much and had to use an accountant full time.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »
Thanks Rob...I think!

Ahh long ago before my male modeling career took off I actually spent a few years working in one of Australia's largest accounting firms (not as an accountant) and had lots of hands on experience with every accounting package available at that time.

it was meant as a compliment as you're multi talented but accounting was something I wouldn't have associated you with. It seems too boring for someone like you. Now the modelling career.......I'm struggling to come to grips with this or do you have a grip on a certain part of your body as we speak  %$%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »
Cashflow Manager is a good program. You can download a demo from their website and see if it suits you.

http://www.cashflow-manager.com.au/

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »
my wife ( book keeper ) uses mircosoft excel spreadsheet for our small biz, our cpa gave us a basic template, quick, easy & cheap, works ok for us, may be different depending on what sort of biz your in #@#
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:25:10 PM by skywalker »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »
Thanks every one
Glad to see nobody  suggesting that I use the online prograns

Seems myob is the go,