Author Topic: Apron and PF restoration - FINISHED!!!  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Apron and PF restoration
« on: December 21, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
Apron weas rubbed back to bare metal, primed and then sprayed with a can of white enamel.

The vinyl is from any sign supplies place and is a spray masking vinyl. I make a file on my computer for each colour and then the stencils are cut from this.
paint for the colours are Pantone soft enamels - i use these as it allows me to pretty much mix up any colour i want, so i can match the original colours exactly. These are applied with an airbrush.

The process isnt perfect but it does give a much better apron that the faded piece of rubbish that was on there.
Its impossible to make a stencil for very small lettering and as such, i expanded the STERN text out a bit and had to drop the "Chicago Illinois".

Once this is done apron is clear coated which means it can be cleaned anytime without fear of removing any of the artwork.

There is no perfect way to recreate an apron. Its not finacially viable to have screens made for these. Aprons changed over the years and id have to have an awful lot of screens to reproduce 100% every model apron.

Choices are:

Decal - reproduce everything thats on the apron, but these are digitally printed and so will have a print finish to them - not the solid block colour that the original has.

Respray - Gives the same solid paint look, but cannot recreate very small text.

Both can be clear coated for long term preservation