Author Topic: FT light problem  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
FT light problem
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
The last 2 issues I have to sort out this FT.

The L I E lights (three lanes at top) all work (bulbs fine), but the E lane will not light when rolled-over. It scores, and does know it has been counted towards the L I E bonus. Interesting that rolling over the L lane will light the L and E lanes. Couple this with the extra ball target........the globe is fine, in attract mode it lites-up. But when its time to hit it for an extra ball it doesnt lite-up, how ever hitting it will award an extra ball. I am thinking a connector issue to start with? What ones should I look at?
Thanks

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
Re: FT light problem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
Sounds like a switch matrix issue?

Go into the switch edges test, and make sure the switches in that area only register one switch - sounds like there is some ghosting (multiple switches registering).

Let us know what you find...

Cheers
Jacob

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
I will check that ty, also could this be the problem?

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
bloody hell! that can't help!

what the hell has burnt that connector? the switch matrix is a low current 12v circuit - looks like something bad has happened in the past like a short or something under the playfield.

Cheers
Jacob

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »

what the hell has burnt that connector? the switch matrix is a low current 12v circuit - looks like something bad has happened in the past like a short or something under the playfield.

Cheers
Jacob
That pic is of the GI connectors. I can see that the smaller gauge brown wire has been reconnected from the upper molex(idc) connector to the lower. Will still work as these are parallel. I would change the plug and header pins and reconnect the wire to J120( just to keep it factory)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:13:30 PM by silverball »

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:17:04 PM »
Do an individual lamp test and make sure the correct lamp is lighting as well.

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:29:29 AM »

Cheers
Jacob
That pic is of the GI connectors. I can see that the smaller gauge brown wire has been reconnected from the upper molex(idc) connector to the lower. Will still work as these are parallel. I would change the plug and header pins and reconnect the wire to J120( just to keep it factory)

Oh yeah, J120 - should have looked closer. Seems to be par for the course that almost every J120 needs replacing... I know I had to on BR and IJ...

Cheers
Jacob

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 08:13:12 PM »
More info on this issue......I found this disgusting surprise! The connector to the pcb for the L I E lights has been butchered a bit. Someone jumpered a wire from one side to the other. They did this so E will light-up, but using the power from L to do it. Trip L and and E will light....that's bodgy-as. Well I cut-off the jumper and E wont light anymore, and the Extra Ball target wont light now (it only ever did in attract mode). You can score extra ball from the target, and can get E, but they just dont illuminate. I did a switch edge test, and no ghost images, the switches test fine. Any suggestions?

Here is the pic of the messy connector before I cut the jumper off. You can see how they have melted the connector whilst soldering that thick wire.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:15:48 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »

I hate IDC connectors !

That will be an issue that you should deal with. I'd replace it with standard molex 0.156 connectors/pins - You can find these on our Sponsor's websites.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:02:32 PM »
Nino because these wires are a loop thats pushed into the IDC (thats how it looks to me), will I need to cut them in half, and twist to make a single wire to change to molex connector? Can I use the pins that are allready in the small pcb with the molex? (not wanting to change the pins at this stage, cant solder well lol). I have crimping tool, and know how to replace the older style connector spade thingies.
Thanks

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
Nino because these wires are a loop thats pushed into the IDC (thats how it looks to me), will I need to cut them in half, and twist to make a single wire to change to molex connector? Can I use the pins that are allready in the small pcb with the molex? (not wanting to change the pins at this stage, cant solder well lol). I have crimping tool, and know how to replace the older style connector spade thingies.
Thanks

Greg - I know exactly what you mean, and I wish I had pictures of my method. I can be done. But you need to solder to do a good job.

You cannot use the existing pins in the Molex housing.

I think you may have to purchase a replacement IDC connector and pins. You will need the insertion tool. This is probably your best option.

Sponsors should stock what you need. Keep us updated.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »
Thanks for your advice Nino, will get this fixed one way or another.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
Did a single lamp test and found I actually have almost a complete row of  lamps 18 28 38 48 58 68 78 non functioning (put new globes in to make sure). The only lamp on that row that works is lamp 88 the start button. Note Red-Grey wire is common to all these lamps. I have checked them all physically, no wires seem to be loose or disconnected, Checked the connector on the board, it to looks fine. I am a novice at all this, and am absolutely stumped by it.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »

Greg - Start Button is outside the switch matrix (from memory).

Could be the connector - even if it looks OK - Push in the individual wires with a small flat-head screwdriver.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »
A break-through maybe? I emailed Wotto, and asked for a pic of his L I E connector. Anyone notice a difference? I have since cut that large jumper wire away, but what difference is getting me excited?

Wotto's connector:

My poor connector: