Author Topic: Gorgar: Can someone please help with the location of a broken wire?  (Read 824 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
Ok,

Distracted for a while but the good news is it is now fixed and working well.  #*#  $#$  @@*
Just not sure exactly what caused it. !@#

I took the boards MPU and Driver to Skybeau (Ken's) again today and he replaced all the components in the circuit controlling that solenoid.
He tested before and tested after and on both occasions the boards tested fine.

When I plugged the board in, all works great. When I pressed the credit button, the solenoid energized and I could not believe it.

Ken can elaborate on what specific components he changed.

Most importantly, I really appreciated the support and help I received on this forum to sort out this difficult problem. People went above and beyond and that enabled me to get a solution. I look forward to the opportunity to help someone else on the forum when the opportunity presents itself!

In particular, Gavin, Boots and Ken, thanks heaps!

J.D.

There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Great to see the problem solved
Now you can concentrate on playing the game $#$

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
Great to see the problem solved
Now you can concentrate on playing the game $#$

Absolutely. Many thanks

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Most importantly, I really appreciated the support and help I received on this forum to sort out this difficult problem. People went above and beyond and that enabled me to get a solution. I look forward to the opportunity to help someone else on the forum when the opportunity presents itself!

In particular, Gavin, Boots and Ken, thanks heaps!

J.D.

That's the beauty of the forum, everyone pitches in to help each other and now you can enjoy playing your pin  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinballrocks

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney

I coudnt agree more.
All the guys on here go above and beyond to help out, which in my opinion, ranks the aussiepinball site no 1.
  ^^^
:) :)      PAUL     :):)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW

I coudnt agree more.
All the guys on here go above and beyond to help out, which in my opinion, ranks the aussiepinball site no 1.
  ^^^

+1  to that
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
The driver board tested fine on the test bench and was showing it was firing the coil no worries.
I thought what the hell and replaced all the components for peace of mind (pre-driver ,tip102 ,7408  ,6821 and the 3 resistors) , and still the same as before.

I was surprised when JD said it was now working so i did some more testing and found the TIP102 was faulty.
It still tested good with a meter so i put the transistor in a Bally driverboard and put it on the Bally driverboard tester , which has real coils in the back of it to test under full load.... and it could barley light the lamp.
So it wasn't shorted or open but when put under the stress to drive a coil it just couldn't do it.

I repaired dozens of driverboards on the Williams test bench and this is the first time it hasn't been accurate.....i guess there's a first time for everything.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Sounds like a case of real bad luck there!

Never mind, all fixed now.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Gday Ken .
Its interesting to hear the final cause and good on you for following through .
I sure know what its like to have a fault bug you and finally find the reason , though this one was a twist for sure.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
The driver board tested fine on the test bench and was showing it was firing the coil no worries.
I thought what the hell and replaced all the components for peace of mind (pre-driver ,tip102 ,7408  ,6821 and the 3 resistors) , and still the same as before.

I was surprised when JD said it was now working so i did some more testing and found the TIP102 was faulty.
It still tested good with a meter so i put the transistor in a Bally driverboard and put it on the Bally driverboard tester , which has real coils in the back of it to test under full load.... and it could barley light the lamp.
So it wasn't shorted or open but when put under the stress to drive a coil it just couldn't do it.

I repaired dozens of driverboards on the Williams test bench and this is the first time it hasn't been accurate.....i guess there's a first time for everything.

That puts the matter to bed doesn't it!

Thanks for the investigation work. Makes sense.

J.D.