Author Topic: Motorvate Melbourne - drag racing  (Read 529 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Motorvate Melbourne - drag racing
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
I'm a huge fan of group 1 racing especially Top Fuel Dragsters, and used to attend Calder Park regularly until 2001 which the Australian Nationals was the last event to be staged there.
Since then I have had to travel up to Sydney to get my fix
Top Fuel is something that has to be seen or FELT!! to be believed 6000+ HP rockets covering the quater mile in just over 4.5 seconds is amazing, the sound hits you hard and vibrates through you whole body, even if you dont like drag racing you should experience this once in your lifetime.

Anyway enough ranting, this site Motorvate Melbourne:
http://www.motorvatemelbourne.com/index.html
is trying to get the state govenment to fund building of a new venue in Melbourne, on the same principles of NSW and WA govenments have achieved, they fund the building costs then the venue can be operated by a company and the state will get back money through tourism etc.

If you have any intrest is seeing drag racing return to Vic (even if you are interstate) please sign the online petition here:
http://www.motorvatemelbourne.com/race%20fans.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:23:43 AM by ktm450 »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Motorvate Melbourne - drag racing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
Partition Signed  ^^^    Bring he Noise  !*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »
Signed up, bring on the fumes!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:53 PM »

Top Fuel is something that has to be seen or FELT!! to be believed 6000+ HP rockets covering the quater mile in just over 4.5 seconds is amazing, the sound hits you hard and vibrates through you whole body, even if you dont like drag racing you should experience this once in your lifetime.

Yep, experienced this at Willowbank for my brother's fortieth birthday party. You forget to mention the heat that hits you as well as the dragster goes past. As for the noise, ear plugs are definitely mandatory!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
Signed-I can smell the burning rubber

Peter

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
Top Fuel Dragsters, our company sponsors Jim Read racing and our customers and team absolutely love it.
Has a bus of 20 ready to head down from the Hunter Valley yesterday but the Summernationals were pulled due to the rain so we missed out.

Western Sydney Dragway is also an exceptional venue.

Good luck with your petition. Harder these days due to all the fun police but good luck!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
Harder these days due to all the fun police but good luck!

J.D.

I know they don't, but these venues should keep the fun police happy, as they give the young inexperienced drivers that they label 'hoons' a place to legally race, at the moment there is Heathcote, Calder and if this gets up another place in Victoria that will run legal off street racing.  Can't be a bad thing if they can get some of it out of their systems in a controlled environment.
I think we have all been there (hooning) and I still can't help myself sometimes, especially on the roadbike, but you use a bit of common sense and keep it away from residential areas, these are the dickheads that give all us other 'revheads' a bad name.

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »
Harder these days due to all the fun police but good luck!

J.D.

I know they don't, but these venues should keep the fun police happy, as they give the young inexperienced drivers that they label 'hoons' a place to legally race, at the moment there is Heathcote, Calder and if this gets up another place in Victoria that will run legal off street racing.  Can't be a bad thing if they can get some of it out of their systems in a controlled environment.
I think we have all been there (hooning) and I still can't help myself sometimes, especially on the roadbike, but you use a bit of common sense and keep it away from residential areas, these are the dickheads that give all us other 'revheads' a bad name.

Absolutely! Good luck.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)