Author Topic: Addam's Family Recondition !  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Addam's Family Recondition !
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

Did some more work on the weekend. I cleaned the legs with Windex and "000" steelwool. It cleaned up the little specs of rust that appeared all over the legs - like pimples ! I then used Brasso to polish. Really good results. I then installed leg protectors and new bolts. In the pic below, The leg on the left is cleaned, the other is not.

The backlight board was filthy. I dampened rag with Nifti took care of that !

Cleaning the Translite

Now this is the method I use to clean translites - and a word of caution - NEVER EVER - Spray any clearer directly on a translite. NEVER EVER. What I do is simply and takes no longer that 10 minutes.

Here is the translite - Front and rear ;

Remove the trim. Setup an flat area with a towel or something similar. Clean the glass with windex and a rag. Polish with a towel. Put it aside.

Clean the trim with Nifti. After cleaning, give it a nice finish with novus 2 and a clean rag. Put it aside.

Grab a CLEAN rag and submerge it in a bucket of clean water. Wring the rag and then gently wash the rear (white area) of the translite. It should remove only a small amount of filth. This is fine. Spray the water saturated rag with Windex two or three times. Disperse the windex by rubbing the rag onto itself. Now GENTLY apply the rag to the wet translite - You should get almost ALL the filth lifting. Do not leave the rag in one place - keep it moving and rinse it every minute or so.. Keep applying the Windex to the rag. OBSERVE that you are not lifting any white backing when rinsing - this would indicate that you have used too much windex, or you are cleaning the translite too aggressively. Keep rising with water. When done - rinse with clean water - don't use the water you used to rinse the rag !

Do the same for the front of the translite - except you won't need to observe the removal of the backing obviously !

When both sides are done - rinse with water and dry GENTLY with a towel.

Re assemble the glass and trim. It should look like this ;

Does not take long at all !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia