Author Topic: Question : Coil Stops Flight 2000  (Read 186 times)

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Question : Coil Stops Flight 2000
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
I'm in the process of working out what parts to order to do a flipper rebuild on a Flight 2000 and a Freefall and I'm a bit stumped where to find the A-186 coil stops.

Does anyone here know where to get them? I see Marcos have them but paying $40 or $50 freight for 4 coil stops is a bit rich, frankly.

I have tracked down most of the other parts, Pinball Resource have baseplates, pawls springs and EOS switches etc but no coils stops.

The other question is what makes coil stops so different. Ok mounting holes are sometimes different, but is it possible to substitute other ones and perhaps drill new mountings? because there seem to be so many different ones out there, some costing as little as $2.50 and others as much as $14.

It would probably be handy for everyones sake to know if certain types and brands could be inter changed without too much hassle and maybe save a few bucks in the process.

I might have to amass a few types and do some experiments *)*

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: Question : Coil Stops Flight 2000
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »
Marcos is the only place I know of that sells new ones.  You can sometimes pick them up on ebay but I have not seen any for ages.  There are a few other tricks you can try - look at coil stops on slings and see if they have the thicker type that can be swapped over with the flippers if they are in better shape.  Also check the outhole kicker on single ball games, this often has a very nice stop.  You can also knock the slug out of the frame and fit one of the screw-in types you can buy, but make sure you the correct length as some are too long.

I have scavenged enough to keep my Sterns going for many years, but I was at one stage looking to 'convert' to using Bally coil stops from the same era.  As far as I can see, this would just involve putting new holes in the plate, the trouble is the holes overlap, so it might get a bit messy.

cheers
Ian

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »
Just do what the euro techs do and roof screw any old coil stop in place don't worry if they go through the playfield you just break them off. %.%

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »

I try to keep everything as original as possible, and the Stern Flipper rebuild is a problem when you cannot find the original parts. I usually buy several Stern coil stops when I order from Marco. I have a few Sterns in the resto queue so I stock up on them. No one other than Marco stocks them.

I once was forced to use a Bally flipper base and parts for a Meteor, and I was very happy - but that was only for the third upper playfield flipper.

For the last Galaxy restore, I bought most of the parts from PBR ;

The plunger is part number - A-1972 (no longer available) - they sent me an equivalent ( see the Galaxy Thread below)
The coil stop is part number - A-186 (available from Marco Spec)

Early games (Before Star Gazer use)

#4A-111-W-1 Flipper bushing $3.38ea
#A-191-R Flipper Pawl $5.63ea
#A-191-L Flipper Pawl $5.63ea
#4A299 Flipper link $1.94ea
#5A-175 Flipper spring $0.50ea -Would be a substitute
#SW-474 Flipper Cabinet switch $5.21ea -Would be a substitute
#SW-294-BL EOS $3.00ea -Would be a substitute
#SW-294-BR EOS $3.00ea - Would be a substitute
Normally open EOS on Right Flipper (has offset insulator) $4.19ea
#STN-A192 Flipper plastic & shaft $3.89ea

Games starting with Star Gazer & Later

#4A-111-W2 Flipper Bushing $2.82ea
#4A299 Nylon flipper Link $1.94ea
#A632L Flipper Pawl Left $7.50ea
#A632R Flipper Pawl Right Currently out of stock!

I documented this in my Galaxy thread - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1256.90 - Page 7

I will be ordering a few more coil stops from Marco in my next big order - let me know if you need any !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:35:39 PM »
Marcos is the only place I know of that sells new ones.  You can sometimes pick them up on ebay but I have not seen any for ages.  There are a few other tricks you can try - look at coil stops on slings and see if they have the thicker type that can be swapped over with the flippers if they are in better shape.  Also check the outhole kicker on single ball games, this often has a very nice stop.  You can also knock the slug out of the frame and fit one of the screw-in types you can buy, but make sure you the correct length as some are too long.

I have scavenged enough to keep my Sterns going for many years, but I was at one stage looking to 'convert' to using Bally coil stops from the same era.  As far as I can see, this would just involve putting new holes in the plate, the trouble is the holes overlap, so it might get a bit messy.

cheers
Ian

Thanks for the tips Ian, Will keep an eye on Ebay for them . I have got a few other Stern machines but they are restorable so cant really scavenge those bits off them and I think they are probably fairly worn anyway.

Might take up Ninos offer when he next orders off Marco's.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:38:14 PM »

No probs, Chris - I'll let you know when I'm placing my next order.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »

I try to keep everything as original as possible, and the Stern Flipper rebuild is a problem when you cannot find the original parts. I usually buy several Stern coil stops when I order from Marco. I have a few Sterns in the resto queue so I stock up on them. No one other than Marco stocks them.

I once was forced to use a Bally flipper base and parts for a Meteor, and I was very happy - but that was only for the third upper playfield flipper.

For the last Galaxy restore, I bought most of the parts from PBR ;

The plunger is part number - A-1972 (no longer available) - they sent me an equivalent ( see the Galaxy Thread below)
The coil stop is part number - A-186 (available from Marco Spec)

Early games (Before Star Gazer use)

Thanks Nino, I remember reading the Galaxy thread ages ago, and forgot that you documented it pretty well there.

Thanks too for the list of parts, PBR sent me a similar listing , but theres a few others on your list that I probably should get while I'm at it.

I agree with the originality issue, personally I like everything to be as it was originally unless its a case that the original part was a bad design and now theres something thats ten times better, a case in point might be say, using new WPC flipper assemblies on a Firepower which according to what I have read is a much better arrangement. But I think the early Sterns had great flippers so should really keep it that way I guess.

PM sent about the coil stops - thanks for that.

#4A-111-W-1 Flipper bushing $3.38ea
#A-191-R Flipper Pawl $5.63ea
#A-191-L Flipper Pawl $5.63ea
#4A299 Flipper link $1.94ea
Normally open EOS on Right Flipper (has offset insulator) $4.19ea

Games starting with Star Gazer & Later

#4A-111-W2 Flipper Bushing $2.82ea
#4A299 Nylon flipper Link $1.94ea
#A632L Flipper Pawl Left $7.50ea
#A632R Flipper Pawl Right Currently out of stock!

I documented this in my Galaxy thread - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1256.90 - Page 7

I will be ordering a few more coil stops from Marco in my next big order - let me know if you need any !