Author Topic: BEST VERSUS WORST !  (Read 285 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
BEST VERSUS WORST !
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »
List the WORST Pinball purchase you ever made ?

List the BEST Pinball purchase you have ever made ?

I am Looking for some ENTERTAINING Pinball Stories. I will take both HORROR stories or something FUNNY involving Pinball purchases/sales.  ^^^

Can ANYONE on the forum surprise us all with something unique & informative.  !@# ( I will throw mine in later )

hhmmm. 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: BEST VERSUS WORST !
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
The worst machine I ever bought to restore was a jack in the box when I got it home bolted the head on plugged it in and it literally caught fire  %.%.  The cabinet was for a two player machine and the headbox was for a 4 player.  What a waste of $500.

The best I really can't say probably my1955 marathon  purely because it was an absolute piece of shit which I've managed to turn into a great looking old machine

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »

The worst was easily the Gottlieb Pro Football that had a body so ridden with termintes, the legs held it together ! Yes, I'll get back to the resto soon !

The best was easily my Paragon. I saw it removed form the container (NIB) as a child, I played it during my youth, my father gave it to me 10 years ago "to keep"  #@# and it sits in my Gamesroom - as the centrepiece of my collection. Since I never really PAID for it, technically it is no a "purchase".

Sooo.. My "Holy Grail" was a Fathom. I bought it off eBay in Germany, had it air freighted to Australia, and it is in storage, awaiting restoration (new playfield, plastics etc !).

I would like to think that my "best purchase" has not yet happened !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Skyntara

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
Best and only pinball purchase so far. Fish Tales, because it brought me back to pinball after so long. Discovered the forums and all sorts of cools people and re-discovered my love for pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »
I can't separate the best - the AFM I tried to buy, was told we couldn't with a new baby due and my wife bought it for me for my birthday, or the years long wait for BBB hoping it would be made, or that nice-priced Spirit - they rank up there. The worst was Empire Strikes Back - dog of a game!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
Worst; a few of the machines I have purchased as ‘project’ games, that were a little more ‘project’ than what I was expecting

Best rush was finally purchasing my first NIB machine
I had waited a few years until the moons aligned, that I had $$ and the game was worth buying
Opening the box, setting it up, knowing I was the first person to play it

Sweet!!

Offline mildflame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »
lol,
My worst buy would be my first! It was a Super Mario Bros... It had 1 incorrect leg, It was missing half the ball eject assembly, backglass nearly smashed when i lifted the backbox up because it was missing locks and the skirtings, all the playfield flashers were blown, 80% of globes were blown, paint flaking on upper playfield, cabinet was scratched, both flippers didn't work and had incorrect assemblys, and there was a problem with the roms... most of the gameplay was missing.
Anyway...
My best purchase was a local one.. A Dr Who.
Not just am I a fan of the series and movies of Dr Who but I think the game has a challenging gameplay with its 7 features and artwork, I bought it in mint condition absolutely nothing wrong with it for $2700 inc delivery with a slight fade on all sides of cabinet. I believe the machine is currently worth $4500
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
The BEST Pinball Purchases I have made are a close tie between a few machines. (purchases made in 2009/2010)

I swapped a fully Installed BOSCH Alarm System for a really nice LAST ACTION HERO. It cost me really only $600. The machine is excellent condition and its a keeper.
I purchased a beautiful BLACK KNIGHT 2000 from Mark C. I saved around $1500 from the normal price. Amazing Condition. Excellent Value.
I won a BATMAN FOREVER on ebay for only $1400 on Xmas day 2009. Aust delivered machine. One owner only. Amazing condition. A great purchase.
I won a STAR WARS TRILOGY on ebay for only $1800 on Xmas day 2009. Aust delivered machine. One owner only. Same as above. Same owner. Never sell machines on ebay finishing xmas day unless u want to lose money.  @.@

WORST purchases ever.

I havent purchased a bad pinball machine in 30 machines, HOWEVER, I did pay a so called professional in QLD to re-decall a FISHTALES for me and he did a lousy lousy job, which i ended up redoing myself. A waste of $500 labour and a set of $300 decals. The machine arrived home with filth/dust/crap all over the playfield and the whole deal was a complete waste of time n money. I had to stop my brother from jumping on this idiots head.
The BEST deals are in Melbourne. The WORST deals are in QLD, IMHO.
* I now only buy machines from Melbourne. The melbourne guys offer far better deals $.  The few QLD sellers I have dealt with in the past, now overprice their machines badly compared to the Melbourne container sellers. I can still buy machines, incl delivery, better thru Mark C and Oscar than anyone in QLD guarranteed.

I hope my next BEST purchase will be my next few machines.  ^^^

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:18:03 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !