Author Topic: Voluntary Redundancy - Do I or Don't I?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Voluntary Redundancy - Do I or Don't I?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
Thanks guys, I was interested to hear if there was a consistent theme of horror stories with VRs.

Anyway, what I am planning on doing is running Boat Licence Courses in both NSW and Vic, basically in the wider Riverina area as well as along the Murray River on the Vic side.  So it isn't so much as issue of taking clients from my current employer as we no longer offer boat licence courses in the same way we used to. 

Start up costs are minimal - $10-15k should see me up and running.  I definitely will not be putting the entire payout into buying an existing business or funding the new business.  If everything went horribly pear shaped, there would be enough in the payout to see us through for a good 12 months or more. 

Thanks again for the encouragement.......I will know who to blame if things don't work out.   *)*
Addicted to pins.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
Thanks guys, I was interested to hear if there was a consistent theme of horror stories with VRs.

Anyway, what I am planning on doing is running Boat Licence Courses in both NSW and Vic, basically in the wider Riverina area as well as along the Murray River on the Vic side.  So it isn't so much as issue of taking clients from my current employer as we no longer offer boat licence courses in the same way we used to. 

Start up costs are minimal - $10-15k should see me up and running.  I definitely will not be putting the entire payout into buying an existing business or funding the new business.  If everything went horribly pear shaped, there would be enough in the payout to see us through for a good 12 months or more. 

Thanks again for the encouragement.......I will know who to blame if things don't work out.   *)*

I was thinking it was something else, thinking government etc.

If there is the demand, go for it, marketing is probably a very important thing there and the good one liability insurance but worth a try and maybe you can couple it with some other boating activity to earn some other dollars when things go quiet.

Not to be discouraging but you might find to capture all your customers you might have to work some weekends to teach those that work full time but it would be great being your own boss.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Fill ya boots mate!
Take the money and run!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »

The other thing to think about is that usually, VR is offered to everyone, and then they either force you into redundancy, and if that does not work in management's favor, then they look at sacking people.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
I have been self employed all my life n run my own businesses, started with fifty bucks n some business cards. At one stage I was turning over millions a year but it took 16 hour days n 7 days a week in a high end/very large profit industry to succeed.

Todays economy is bad. Worst I have seen in 20 plus years. Insurance n public liability n super n various other costs are huge. You will spend less time with family probably for the first few years than u currently do now. Never walk away from a paying gold mine til it turns to a crap silver mine. If u are making decent $$$ now, I say stay n research starting the business part time on the side/spare time to dip your toes in the water first. Refinding employment if things don't work out if u leave could be a major issue in this current economy (it will take a few years to get better). I had a face to face talk with mining magnate Clive Palmer recently and he says things will get worse before better this next few years. (long story, my kid plays with his grand-daughter).

After 20 plus years of running my own business, I have decided to take a high salary job with a global company because I was bored of what I was doing after 20 plus years, but not bored of the money. Now, I will make less (but still great money) and I will have more personal n family time.

Its a hard one Blair, because only you know your savings $$ position and equity position of your property (or properties).

I have always been a go getter n thrown caution to the wind n in your own business the rewards can be huge, but the economy under liberal governments 16 yrs out of 20 years-ish made that a easier decision cause the economy was strong everywhere. The economy now is tough everywhere.

As u get older, u tend to errr on the side of caution. I say keep ya job, research your potential new business, make it work part time n prove it will be a winner, and then, only leave your safe financial position/current job.

You need a good accountant n a business which receives about 30 percent of its gross income in cash form. Never spend the cash on business items, only on personal stuff (and keep the cash business/amounts on the quiet ofcourse), then u might get lucky n have a winner.

One last point I want to make about self employment n gross income n profit margins.
My grandfather told me this when I was apx 16 years of age.

You can sell 100 ice creams a day n make $100, or you can sell the icecream machine for $1000 dollars n make $400 a day.
Always choose high profit margin over high turnover. That has been my success for 20 yrs. Also, only work with the top end of town (aim for rich people who have $$ to spend n don't quibble over pricing) n stick to the high end of the market. If u aim for the general everybody joe blow public segment of the market, they, the consumer will cut ya throat for $2 and u will be battling against ten other companies who have made the mistake of dealing/selling/working with the average $$ person.

Only aim for the rich n work their referrals hard, this way cashflow n profit margins stay high n u get to live well. Hope it works out. Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:15:17 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »
You need to work out a realistic business plan

With what you are suggesting, advertising is going to be a large, reoccurring expense
Cost of materials for attendees
Cost of rental for the building you will need
Insurance is a must, but it is not as expensive as some people may be leading you to think
And a weekly income for yourself

As part of a government department, you got paid if you trained one person or a hundred. With your own business you need a constant traffic. How will you go during winter months when your services are not needed as much?

Also, before there were others who could take bookings, answer enquires.
When it is your business, it will be just up to you. You will need to be contactable from earlier than 9.00am until at least 6.00 pm, seven days a week

I think it will be hard for anyone to make this work

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »

With what you are suggesting, advertising is going to be a large, reoccurring expense
Insurance is a must, but it is not as expensive as some people may be leading you to think

As part of a government department, you got paid if you trained one person or a hundred. With your own business you need a constant traffic. How will you go during winter months when your services are not needed as much?

When it is your business, it will be just up to you. You will need to be contactable from earlier than 9.00am until at least 6.00 pm, seven days a week

I tend to agree hence why you almost need to have a fishing tour business and ski training etc all rolled into one business to absorb the quiet times.

Though you could have a heap of pinnies (@ $1 a game) in the room next to the training room next to your boat shed and boat hire and a Fish Tales Cafe

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »

In my current job I answer phone enquiries as well as on water enquiries.  My phone is on 24/7 and I am expected to answer it. I typically travel anywhere between 900-1200km's per week the vast majority of which is towing my patrol boat around the country side.  Then I conduct on water patrols which inevitably leads to issuing penalty notices i.e. fines for various forms of non compliance.  I assess aquatic licence applications and create marine notices (formal documents outlining the closure of waters due to special events) and when they happen I investigate collisions which typically involves several trips down to melbourne during the off season which entails statement taking and formal record of interviews.  I am also required to assess development applications which may impact on navigation.  Mate if I can't answer phone calls about my own business and administer a web page where all the bookings will happen then I will give the whole shebang away.

Running courses during the winter months will be a challenge but as they say, I will make hay whilst the sunshines in the boating season.  I have a few other things I can do during the winter to keep some money rolling in slowly e.g. sales rep for a local PFD manufacturer, drive cruise boats on a Lake nearby and work on my own business.

Yes I will need public liability insurance, yes I will need to pay myself as well as superannuation.

Yes there will be weekend work as well as evening work.  That will be my choice and not that of an EBA which dictates I work 37 weekends a year as well as every public holiday.  I will be able to conduct 2 or 3 courses over a weekend easily and out of that is the potential to make a months salary at my current pay level during the peak season.  A guy that travels over from the coast charges $145 per adult for the licence course, I will be charging $95, it doesn't take long for the word to get around in the country and I am very confident that my courses will be well attended.

I have numerous locations lined up that will not charge me to use their premises. 

To start up on water practical style training requires the purchase of a suitable boat so this won't happen this season.  I will look into it over winter.  Along with that comes additional insurances and the like as well but is there a market for it - absolutely.

Can I do this part time and keep my current job - no.  I have tried before and they deem it to be a conflict of interests so it is all or nothing.

So I spose, am I going into this on a whim without any clue at all. No.  I have been dreaming of doing it for about 4 or 5 years now and the only way it was ever going to be worth doing was if I got something like a VR.  If I walk from work under my own steam I will get a certain amount.  If I walk as part of a VR, I stand to get about four (4) times that amount.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
based on all that extra info, I say go with your gut, and its telling me you would rather work for yourself than be unhappy working for others.

the only part I disagree with is charging so much less than the other guy. Charge ten dollars less but do everything in your power to let all potential customers that you offer far superior service n training. A gimmick that works well is always to say that you also receive XYZ at no additional cost which is worth say $45 (but it only costs u say $10 bux).

Keep revenues close to your competitors n throw in a curve ball to get the punters to u instead of the other bloke.

Your experience alone is worth a lot to your new business, promote that like hell. No use being the best at something unless u tell people about it.

We have similar businesses up here on the Gold Coast, most ones u ring go to a call back service or a answr machine. That shits me to tears. Always answer the phone, or redirect it if out of range to someone who can, and u will get the customers. People hate automated ph services or leaving messages.

Sounds like u will be underway in your own business sooner than later.

Your passion for what u do is what will make your money when the clients see your professional n friendly attitude. Then referrals is the most important part of every business that most don't bother with n miss out on massive revenue.

Good luck with it Blair n I reckon you will make it work.  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:01:11 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinoffski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
There are going to be tuff times ahead for Australia business.
We are going to have the recession that we didn't have imop.

I also have been made redundant as i am in manufacturing
I was the planner for tooling & property maintenance for the site and also the scheduler for the site maintenance / shut coordinator .

Personal usually cut down on training / coarses in bad times..

the nsw government has a retraining  program but the money is running out fast .

all i can say is grab the money if you have something else to go to ..

as long service will be a thing of the past in this country

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
There are going to be tuff times ahead for Australia business.
We are going to have the recession that we didn't have imop.

I also have been made redundant as i am in manufacturing
I was the planner for tooling & property maintenance for the site and also the scheduler for the site maintenance / shut coordinator .

I agree manufacturing in Australia will be finished inside the next 5 years, most have already moved off shore and the others can not compete unfortunately.

My employer, a multinational aluminum manufacturer will shut its doors within the next 6 months, Fords, Qantas maintenance, have already notified of closure, Shell refinery uncertain future, our town was founded on manufacturing and most have left.  These are the few remaining.

Already gone years ago were, International harvester, Pilkingtons glass, rope works, salt works, bhp, many carpet/material mills, and probably many more I can't remember.

I am a maintenance fitter and turner who has had a lot of experience with hydraulics and pneumatics.  Hopefully I will find work somewhere, I feel bad for the many unskilled operators in their later years who will really struggle to find work whilst still having to support their families.

The government are not willing to help, but even if they did it could not stop the rapidly downward spiraling manufacturing future in Australia

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
I was made redundant on 11th Nov 2011 after 34 years with the same company. Looks like anyone over 50 is going to find it tough in Australian workforce; sad but true. On the positive, I am clear of stress and have lost 15 kg and look 10 years younger since leaving the workforce. Yes, financialy it is tough but my payout was good and I am elligible to some super this year. I was going to do my own IT/computer repair and support business but at my age (54) I have lost the hunger and drive and am more happy to spend quality time with the family and kids.

Pinoffski is right in what he says and I also saw it coming particularly over the past 5 years. The final nail in the Australian business coffin was the carbon tax. Here is a link to an article which quotes some morbid numbers from ASIC in 2012:

The Australian Securities & Investments Commission reports there were 10,632 company collapses for the 12 months to March 1 - averaging 886 a month - with the number of firms being placed in administration more than 12 per cent higher than during the global financial crisis.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/companies/australian-securities-investments-commission-reports-record-company-closures-many-blame-carbon-tax/story-fndfr3g3-1226599283585
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:52:49 PM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
Tough decision Blair, Gov't jobs are (well used to be) secure.

You're no dill and I've got no doubt you will do well if you go out on your own.

Its a tough decision for you and the family but I'm sure you'll make the right one.

:2cents:

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »
Tough decision Blair, Gov't jobs are (well used to be) secure.

You're no dill and I've got no doubt you will do well if you go out on your own.

Its a tough decision for you and the family but I'm sure you'll make the right one.

:2cents:

Agree completely, good luck with whatever you decide Blair!

Jeff

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Sorry if I came across as abrupt
I see many people start up their own business who are completely unprepared for the challenge ahead

I have even seen franchises open in areas that will never work, as the franchisee is not local and believes that they just pay for the name and the money will just roll in