Author Topic: Voluntary Redundancy - Do I or Don't I?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Voluntary Redundancy - Do I or Don't I?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Seems to me Blair that you have more than enough knowledge in your field to be able to make a living. You have a choice here... stick it out with your job knowing that they eventually want to be rid of you... OR.. take a package and take control of the situation. From what im reading, your job is already on the line.

Running a business doesn't have to be hard.. its what you make it to be. If you do nothing but chase dollars then youll fall over eventually.. enjoy what you do, let it ooze from your skin and the customers will come to you.
I started out on my own some 9 years ago and the business has developed over those years, ive never dictated its direction, just gone with the flow. In that time ive looked at shutting it down on 2 occasions as it just got too tough, but a change in direction saw benefits each time.
I run a small shop with zero staff... kept it simple and small. I answer my own phone, do my own artwork, do my own GST etc... I wouldn't have it any other way. In the last year ive had 4 close associate businesses go bust due to large overheads and I have another closing shop in June as they have been in business 45 years and don't want to ride out this tough time, so will close up while the money still exists... its not easy out there, Australia has been in a strangle hold recession for the last 3+ years.
But.. keep it small, keep it simple and let it grow gradually and youll be OK... now is not the time to make large decisions regarding a business.
Would you be able to sub contract to your old employer? Often its the Super... Holiday pay.. medical etc that make employing people unjustified. you may find a similar level of work but at a better pay and with some amount of freedom.

I disagree with some of the comments.. you are better making $5 than $0.. they all add up to bigger $$,s. If you are busy, then the money will look after itself.. if you are quiet but chasing the big jobs, watch the money piss away fast... you need " bread and butter" work... it pays your overheads and is mostly guaranteed.. this is the back bone of your business.. everything else is cream on the cake.
I pay $900 a year for $20million public liability.. I really only need 10 mil which is about $750, but Westfield shopping insists on $20 mil so I make sure I have it. Its not a huge outlay... you don't need to be paying Super till you are in a position to do so and all the other trappings that suck $$ out of your business... its all crap, even the bank will charge you more because its a business when there clearly is no need to.
When you have established yourself and been trading a few years, set up a family trust, it will minimise your tax.
Most importantly though, ask around for a GOOD accountant... one that works for you not the tax department... is a little creative without being bent etc.

You'll be OK mate... go do it

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
Oh yeah
Set yourself up to take credit cards
Customers find it easier to use plastic than to comeback later after they have used an ATM

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
Sorry if I came across as abrupt

All good mate, you call a spade a spade.

I won't be able to work in a NSW Govt job for about 16 months.  If I do I have to repay part of the payout.  The deal is a clean break.  In saying that though, I will be leaving on pretty good terms so I would have half a chance at getting another job doing the same in a few years, it would just mean starting over again as far as leave and long service leave goes.

I have thought about a franchise of some sort or buying an existing business but I keep coming back to the thing I know best and that I know I have a good chance of doing ok with.

Thanks again for all the interest and taking the time to comment.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
don't buy any franchise (ever) in my opinion.

its French for restrictive/restrictions on all business practices and a hefty percentage from your gross, n never net income. straight out head office greed n unrealistic practices.

also, people never sell gold mines, they sell tin mines dressed up as gold mines. if it was a real gold mine, u you hire a good manager n a few staff n sit at home for life n collect the royalties. my father was a real estate agent for almost 45 years...in all that time he said every one he sold was overvalued n a doomsday waiting to happen...why would u sell a profitable business ?...no, u sell businesses that are struggling or just breaking even with a set of cooked books...occasionally you get a good one (profitable n people retiring after many years, but a one in a thousand, if the odds are even close to that).

and the few brands that do make money, cost millions to get into.....franchises usually are not a healthy way to own your own business n personal life. Just my opinion...
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
don't buy any franchise (ever) in my opinion.

its French for restrictive/restrictions on all business practices and a hefty percentage from your gross, n never net income. straight out head office greed n unrealistic practices.

also, people never sell gold mines, they sell tin mines dressed up as gold mines. if it was a real gold mine, u you hire a good manager n a few staff n sit at home for life n collect the royalties. my father was a real estate agent for almost 45 years...in all that time he said every one he sold was overvalued n a doomsday waiting to happen...why would u sell a profitable business ?...no, u sell businesses that are struggling or just breaking even with a set of cooked books...occasionally you get a good one (profitable n people retiring after many years, but a one in a thousand, if the odds are even close to that).

and the few brands that do make money, cost millions to get into.....franchises usually are not a healthy way to own your own business n personal life. Just my opinion...

You could always open a McDowells

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
That's exactly what I kept on coming back to and thinking as far as a franchise goes.  You pay for what you get and I don't have that sort of $$$ to throw around.  Priority is to leave as much money as possible on the mortgage as redraw and if I happen to spend any large amounts it will be on an asset that I can sell if needs be and get most if not all of my money back on as well as tax breaks and not something that I can't touch such as goodwill.

I actually got my official payout figure today which is a tad more than what I had worked it out at so I let them know that I formally want to apply for the VR.  Looks like I might have to work through to the end of April though.  The tax concessions are pretty good, I pay full freight on my annual and long service leave they owe me but the other stuff (51 weeks pay) is taxed at next to nothing at about 1.01%.   $#$

So as mentioned earlier, if I take the VR, I get close to 5 times as much as what I would if i just resigned tomorrow.  At this stage of my life it is simply too hard to knock back. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:02:53 PM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
No to franchise, if you're serious you will do the time to find your own clients and market. 50 is indeed the magic number and I hear 50-70 weeks of unemployment too on average.

One thing to investigate is (and I forget the acronym) but you can start a business and get the dole for one year. It is not means tested in that you could make $1m+ and still get paid the dole. This can at least act as a little security blanket for you and if you are eligible, take it as there plenty of unworthy people stealing from the gov't. I was going to use this scheme if starting another business.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »

Admins have resolved that this thread will now be closed now that members have had time to express their views.