Author Topic: Old T.V's  (Read 366 times)

Offline mickthepin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Old T.V's
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
I was wondering if you guys new of anywhere to pick up a bunch of old T.V's for cheap. I am not going to put them in arcade machines I am going to keep them as T.V's for a project I am working on. Is there a specific size that people use as arcade monitors so I can look for a different size in order to get them cheaper?   !@#

Offline pritch33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Old T.V's
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
I was wondering if you guys new of anywhere to pick up a bunch of old T.V's for cheap. I am not going to put them in arcade machines I am going to keep them as T.V's for a project I am working on. Is there a specific size that people use as arcade monitors so I can look for a different size in order to get them cheaper?   !@#

By old I assume CRT
For arcade use it will generally be smaller to mid range crt depending on what the person is after. LCD are becoming very popular for arcade but there are still a few purists out there.
Look for facebook buy swap and sells in your area and offer to pick them up and you should find a few? also some councils I believe have drop of points for them so maybe able to pick up bulk?
Come to my place I have 3 you can have 14inch 53cm? and a 66cm   

Ray

Marty Machine

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
old b+w portables are always thrown out on sidewalk council clearances (in victoria anyway), depends if you know how to repair them or not.

I used to grab them all the time in recent years, pretty much every TV i grabbed works, as families are just tossing out when they buy another flatscreen tv for the home.

wasteful technology, shame.
MM

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Last year I threw out a Sony 80cm which was a very expensive TV back in 2000 and a widescreen Orion 80 cm that was awesome. No one wanted them.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I mainly use 19 and 20 inch in my arcade machines. i havnt found a normal tv to run on one, u need cga monitors. try gumtree under freebies, there are more often than not free ones around here.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
just to clarify, 'mickthepin' does NOT want TVs for an arcade machine build.
He asked which size(s) are popular for arcade, so he could steer clear of them (pricey) and focus on alternate sizes which would be cheaper.

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:55 PM »
Sorry if i went into too much detail as i dont think the size would really matter if you can get them for FREE

Offline mickthepin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
Thanks For the feed back guys good info. My only hurdle is to pick a size I can get a lot of (10-15 maybe even 20 for the effect I want) Will check all this out seems like its not going to be a big problem. Thanks  ^^^

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
No probs, ive found mainly larger tv's more often than smaller ones are given away. and a lot of people even give u the set top box as well. sounds like a big project. good luck.