Author Topic: vinyl lp's  (Read 1273 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: vinyl lp's
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
I bet it does Dniel. And I can imagine your record collection  #@#

I don't have many at all the juke is full and I have half a box of random crap I use for testing when I'm repairing other jukes lol.

My box is full of Acdc guns n roses Metallica credence and other assorted stuff

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
Lucky I prevented my wife from throwing out the LP collection. There is a "depth" to LPs that digital technology can't equal. A good stereo with good speakers will sound better than a CD. For some reason, LIVE albums ALWAYS sound better (with my hearing anyway).

Dad kept the 1000's of Juke Box "singles" from the 50's onwards. Beatles, Stones, Elvis and the legendary Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven". One day I'll sort them out and give them a spin !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
Still got all my vinyl and still buying it. I did have several thousand Lps but a flood culled that collection a bit... probably down to 1000+ Lps now and several hundred 45s

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
Played a few albums sinc yesterday. I actually knocked back an offer on a juke that plays singles a while ago. Im going to have to get in touch with him now, and see if the offer still stands
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Marty Machine

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
I don't have many at all the juke is full and I have half a box of random crap I use for testing when I'm repairing other jukes lol.
I notice you didn't mention your Kylie Minogue collection.....

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:31 PM »
I notice you didn't mention your Kylie Minogue collection.....
he is not old enough

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
Most of the needles on those converters are shite and will ruin your vinyl..

^This.

It is a different style of needle which digs deeper into the vinyl than a standard needle.

It actually left visible freshly made grooves in one of the guinea pig pieces of vinyl I was using as a test run.

Just stick with the old reliable vinyl and forget about converting - as said earlier it sounds better anyway.  ^^^

Marty Machine

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
I dunno about today record/DJ/converter players and their stylus'....but back in the good old days the stylus' were graded as soft, medium, and hard......I think from memory sapphire stylus' were medium/general purpose while diamond tips were hard for higher fidelity and crisper high frequencies (although at the risk of higher record wear as the diamond tends to cut your record after many many plays).

Old records on an old record player will always have a warmer/richer sound than CD's as there's 2 VERY different ways the audio is being processed.
It must be noted that records sound 'warmer' due to the lack of very high frequencies, these frequencies are cut out during the record-cutting process, where a filter (aka RIAA curve) rips out a band of high-end energy as part of the surface noise reduction (eliminates the physical noise of the styless scraping along the vinyl).
The RIAA filter also cuts a bunch of bottom end bass out, as too much bass signal will cause the left/right tracks to crossover into eachother, so an instrument on left channel would also cut into the right channel if it's too bassy/loud....
The filtering of bass maintains that each of the 2 cutters will ONLY cut information into their respective left/right track areas in the record groove.

Just about every (old) amplifier/phono-input has an RIAA preamp which does it's best to boost back the bass & high frequency response along with using the Graphic EQ to also adjust the sound to your needs.

CD encoding is a different can'o'worms, a lot of information HAS TO be lost during the analog to digital conversion to write the CD audio, as there's too much high frequency energy for the encoders to handle, so they cut it out to reduce bit-rate errors during playback.
This removal of high & low frequencies isn't 'compression, it's actually 'deletion', but most of the deleted info isn't exactly audibly noticable, but it makes a BIG difference to the data being send to the digital encoders without dropouts..

CD inputs on amps have a wide dynamic range and also re-instate/boost the highs & lows to TRY to bring the CD audio back to full quality, but with all the pre-filtering during encoding, CD's just won't match a record.

Also to note, old records usually being played thru old amp/hifi systems that have preamps catering to analog signals and RIAA factors, you would find that plugging a CD player into those old amps would actually sound a little warmer too.

I recently sold an old radio/stereo record player (radiogram) which had valve amps in it, i played a record for the buyer to prove it worked etc etc, and as soon as i heard the thick warm tones i started to think about keeping it, *if* the buyer changed his mind.....
Sadly he bought it, but i'd since gained some old valve radios & amps to fill the gap.

MM

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
Well. Im learning a lot here. I thaught a record player was a record player, and definately didn't know about the different types of stylus.

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 01:35:37 AM »
Hope the A-hole who stole my Rotel amp in '97 destroyed his hearing with it.

I have about 6-7 milk crates of albums: Zappa/Steely/Santana/Eno/ LZ, then all late 70s punk then lots of Sydney/Melb indie stuff from the 80's pub scene before it petered out and the CDs took over

now its a 2.5" HDD with a bit over a TB of files on it...not much bigger than a packet of smokes.

I inherited about 600 classical albums from my dad that should keep my busy through my 60s and into the nursing home.

The 3 singles I will always associate with pinball are Can the Can (Suzie Quatro) Children of the Revolution (T-Rex) and Sorrow(David Bowie)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:56:47 AM by greenechidna »

Offline morgo

• Forum Posts:
  • lake macquarie NSW
  • wish i had a bigger shed
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
funny you mention associating music with pinball
for me it was jean genie ( Bowie) , I love rock n roll ( joan jet)  and I was made for loving you ( kiss) . the people at the pinny parlour near my house must have only owned these three singles. always playing..
memories can be strange things.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »
Maybe a thread on music associated with pinball memories would be good.

Four songs that trigger off memories back to pinballs golden era are Heroes - David Bowie, Turning Japanese - The Vapours, Message In a Bottle - The Police and Ant Music - Adam Ant.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
Definately a great idea for a thread. Pinball wizard has to be No:1