Author Topic: Thank you Mr Subaru (and give your family a hug today)  (Read 1164 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Thank you Mr Subaru (and give your family a hug today)
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:01:33 AM »
Last night we left a party about 11.30, my wife, the two girls and me. My wife was driving, and we entered the Princes Highway on a green light (having almost stopped before it changed, so we were still traveling slowly).  In one of those odd moments where time almost stands still, I saw a car coming through the intersection from our right, and managed to say "It's not going to stop." My wife managed to stop our car within the left-most of the three lanes. It was odd how for just a moment there was this silence, and I sat there with enough time to think that maybe the driver would miss us. It felt like a minute, but must have been less than a second. Then the most awful sound and I closed my eyes - I knew that if we'd been hit square on (which seemed likely) my wife and one of the little ones.. - well, the thoughts in my mind were something I wish I could erase today.

I had all of the air knocked out of my lungs - my wife thought I was having a heart attack! I struggled out, and the other driver came over - a woman, all apologies. Then one of the little ones screaming from the back about her eye. So I climbed back in, she was bleeding. The other driver was continuing to apologise and I realised that she was less than sober. I couldn't remember what number you called for emergencies! My wife reminded me it was "000". The other driver was belligerent with the police, and refused a breath test (not surprised). Good - that automatic minimum one year will be a minimum two. Gosh, the police were just so supportive of us, and one of them looked like he was about to smack the other driver when she started complaining that her dog was bleeding from its foot! Luckily the little one's eye wasn't hurt - looks like her Nintendo DS hit her just below the eye. Looks pretty bad today from the bruising, but she's just so calm about it. The other little one is really upset and steadfastly refusing to get in the new car if we buy a black one again.

We were less than a second away from something tragic - had my wife not stopped the car as quickly as she did (good driver, ABS, AWD - thank you Mr Subaru) it would have not be the engine bay sitting sideways now. Guys and gals, give the family a hug for me today will you?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:03:18 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Oh Nick.....

Firstly I'm so happy that you and your family are alive and well. What a shocking story and anybody with a family would fully understand what you are going through.

Secondly to that woman that was pissed - pity you weren't able to punch her in the head before the Police arrived.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:19:20 PM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Man, glad noone was seriously injured.  Unlucky you were in an accident but luck in one way.

So the other driver was pissed? 

Glad your all Ok mate, sorry to hear this happened
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
That's just terrible. Glad everyone is OK, albeit a little shaken and bruised.

A pity the police couldn't do a little "police brutality" on her arse, ala Rodney King style. What a moron!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Thats Terrible Nick
                       But im glad you and your family are alright. Hope they throw the book at the other driver and i hope its a big one.  And i agree with Tony should be an automatic beating as well as loss of license

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Mate glad everyone is ok, a car crash with the whole family in the car would have to be every ones worst nightmare, very lucky no one was seriously hurt.

Ian.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Thank for sharing Nick and Im so happy that you guys are ok!

Extra big hugs for my family today.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Mate, Very sorry that you and your family had to go through that, and i hope the other driver gets what she deserves!! and im glad to know that you and your family are ok..

All the best... Cheers ... Mitch

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

crap Nick

all my best to you and family

at times like this its makes you realize how important kids and family are

hope your daughter is ok 

glad you walked away , it can always be worse .   

mark

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Sorry to hear this happen to you and your family Nick, glad everyone is ok.

I have had Subarus now for over 15 years and would not drive anything else, very safe cars.

Tony

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:58:55 AM by tonyt »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Thanks for the well wishes guys, very much appreciated.

We're taking the girls down to the toy store to buy them another "My Little Pony" each (like 38 of those things is not enough - guess they are like pinball machines to them!) to celebrate our good fortune. My wife at first said she won't get in the other car, but she's getting herself all brave now to give it a go.

Sadly, Suby gave her life for us I think, but I know she's happy, that's what she was meant to do. We'll honour her by getting another just like her. Brought home many a pin in the back of her, so I'll keep remembering the good times!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
RIP SUBY    The girls are getting a new my little pny does that mean you get a new Pinny?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Sad to hear that the message of drink driving is simply not getting through. I hope the driver loses her right to drive for a few years - but sadly, this does not always deter the stupid ones.

Glad to hear all is ok, Nick. Honor the subi that saved your lives with another. It could have been worse.

The kids are safe now, and will have that extra cuddle every night to remind you and your wife of how precious they are.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

pinballist

Wow Nick what a shocker!  Glad to hear everyone is alright though.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
Glad to hear all are ok Nick...

Its the same old story always worry what the other drivers are doing so that you can avoid the idiot (plus drunk) drivers who are an accident waiting to happen.

I agree new ponies for the girls new pinny for Nick

^^^