Author Topic: Bargain!  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Bargain!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »
really depends what sort of sound and player you are, if i owned a ric it would sit on the wall to look at as they do look great. not the sort of guitar id play, as their action isnt for me but its easy to understand why people do like them. very nice guitar champ gotta be happy with that. is it like new? looks like its never really been used, i hate breaking in new guitars especially electrics

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:37:53 AM »
It's NIB...well it was until I took outa the box.
You don't like slick actions and fast necks? I do no matter what company make them. I like fenders and Gretsch too..Gibsons are too heavy for me to play for long periods of time but I like them too and have owned variuos models from each mob. Owned a couple of peaveys and a couple of matons as well.
I must admit I prefer my guitars older as well, as the wood gets aged the guitar will sound even better but new guitars don't need breaking in as such.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
You don't like slick actions and fast necks? I do no matter what company make them. I like fenders and Gretsch too..Gibsons are too heavy for me to play for long periods of time but I like them too and have owned variuos models from each mob. Owned a couple of peaveys and a couple of matons as well.
I must admit I prefer my guitars older as well, as the wood gets aged the guitar will sound even better but new guitars don't need breaking in as such.

i like very fast actions and dont like those style bridges.
but rics are good guitars but as you said they are unique sound and they need to be suited to you.
i used to own fenders and im not a fan really they are too plain imo. gibsons are nice but not my style. i mostly had esp's and Jacksons, but i used to go through guitars like it was going out of fasion. had an esp kirk H guitar, was good not a fan of the band but was a fast guitar took ages to break in, as my uncle owned a music store id be trading and swapping guitars and what not. ive picked up a few ric's of his for a play as he is a collector as well very nice guitar great quality just didnt suit me. Gretsch are another guitar like rics you need to play to the guitars style. rics demand respect i think and i dont play a guitar with much respect.
but the fastest guitar i have come across was the one i have now had the longest time, and thats my peavey Vandenberg, never been a peavey fan and still arent but man do i love this guitar. but guitars are like cars, you need to buy one that suits you
i do beleive guitars break in, frets feel better after user lots of use and the action changes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:30:38 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »

but rics are good guitars but as you said they are unique sound and they need to be suited to you.
i used to own fenders and im not a fan really. gibsons are nice but not my style. i mostly had esp's and Jacksons, but i used to go through guitars like it was going out of fasion. had an esp kirk H guitar, was good not a fan of the band but was a fast guitar, as my uncle owned a music store id be trading and swapping guitars and what not. ive picked up a few ric's of his  as he is a collector as well very nice guitar great quality just didnt suit me. Gretsch are another guitar like rics you need to play to the guitars style. rics demand respect i think and i dont play a guitar with much respect.
but the fastest guitar i have come across was the one i have now had the longest time, and thats my peavey Vandenberg, never been a peavey fan and still arent but man do i love this guitar.
i do beleive guitars break in, frets feel better after user lots of use and the action changes

I haven't played too many Jacksons or ESP but the ones I have played were very very nice indeed but prob more suited to metal or hard rock for mine?
I play mainly alt rock with some punk thrown in for fun. I have not come by a Vanderberg, my Peav was a Wolfgang...nice guitar, I really liked the hardtail style on it.
Yeah i hear ya about frets and break in with action that's fair enough. I am not a big lead player so Frets don't come into play as much for me.
What amp are you playing the Peavey through? I am only playing through a small vox prctice amp...I sold my last gigging amp and guitar when I got into pins but I'm looking at getting a old uk ac-30 or a Orange Rockerveb soon.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »

i used to own fenders and im not a fan really. gibsons are nice but not my style. i mostly had esp's and Jacksons, but i used to go through guitars like it was going out of fasion. had an esp kirk H guitar, was good not a fan of the band but was a fast guitar, as my uncle owned a music store id be trading and swapping guitars and what not. ive picked up a few ric's of his  as he is a collector as well very nice guitar great quality just didnt suit me. Gretsch are another guitar like rics you need to play to the guitars style. rics demand respect i think and i dont play a guitar with much respect.
but the fastest guitar i have come across was the one i have now had the longest time, and thats my peavey Vandenberg, never been a peavey fan and still arent but man do i love this guitar.

I haven't played too many Jacksons or ESP but the ones I have played were very very nice indeed but prob more suited to metal or hard rock for mine?
I play mainly alt rock with some punk thrown in for fun. I have not come by a Vanderberg, my Peav was a Wolfgang...nice guitar, I really liked the hardtail style on it.
Yeah i hear ya about frets and break in with action that's fair enough. I am not a big lead player so Frets don't come into play as much for me.
What amp are you playing the Peavey through? I am only playing through a small vox prctice amp...I sold my last gigging amp and guitar when I got into pins but I'm looking at getting a old uk ac-30 or a Orange Rockerveb soon.

yer if you play rics and gretsch guitars you might not like Jackson or my Peavey, they are more fast heavy playing.
they are both different animals
i never heard or come across the Vandenberg before my uncle rang me up and said i have a guitar here you might like. i swapped it for my esp. the vandenberg is hard to find here in Aus, its popular in euro country's from what i have seen. i dont know its worth as such. but it was made for the band white snake. again im not a lover or a hater of the band. but its very fast, hand made in limited numbers, all come hand signed by Adrian Vandenberg. now they have a serial on the back, which you can ring peavy and find out its origian. this partical guitar i have was the bands back up stage guitar. like the Kirk H Guitars from esp, they give the band a few guitars to play and when finished with peavy take back and sel lthem as used by the band. some could almost be trashed or some almost not touched. but they will on sell them as played so they sell for more. ive seen a kirk guitar that was sold brand new as my uncle is a esp seller, but it was beat up real bad lol but was $5000, not all of them were played. only a limited number. peavey did this with the vandenberg and white snake. unfortunately about ten years ago my guitar was stolen and the case that had the hand signed insert was never returned when the police found my guitar, the case is worth good money. real shame, but the guitar was returned back in the condition it was stolen and has serial on its head. i have had this guitar confirmed. but it has the very rare kahler z700 bridge. man  its fast. never been a peavy fan before it, but i dig this guitar, probably not worth big money but ive only seen this one here in Aus. seen some for sale on the net in europe, i wish i still had the case. is a very fast guitar and i dig it. it was one of those guitars i knew nothing about, i played it once and had to buy it lol
i use Mashal amps. dont like peavy amps that much maybe its the value for money?. i have these days only a 50 watt tubed combo marshal, nothing real big but still packs a punch if i turn it up

ps this a good thread i love talking guitars
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:10:56 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
Very nice Daz, now you have to split your time between the IM / Ric, enjoy...... #*#
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
Wow what a great story, that axe sure has a very cool history and sounds like a cracker. I would love to have a look at it one day ^^^..damn shame about the case though,fkn theives!
I remember finding a bass guitar( a very nice musicman) in the carpack of a local pub after a cover band had played. I made sure that the guy got his instrument back, he was so stoked when he came to pick it up a few days later he gave me $200.I love talking about guitars and music too.
Marshalls are cool. I had a jcm 900 a few years ago and a vintage jtm 45 when I was around 20 that I scored for a bargian at the time.
I owned a Peavey once...the 5150...great amp but I needed a crane to move it.. :lol...so I moved that on swiftly.

Very nice Daz, now you have to split your time between the IM / Ric, enjoy...... #*#
...Yeah that's right mate...a nice dillema to have for sure. *%*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:22:17 PM by Cow Corner »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »

I saw Whitesnake in Melbourne in the late 80's with Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell. The aussie tour was the first with the new lineup, and they were sloppy and Vandenberg was clearly drunk and struggled through the show.

I can't play a note but I love looking at guitars and hearing people's stories. I have a lot of respect for musicians, and these ""off topic (pinball)" threads are a great read. One of my closest buddies used to work at Belman Guitars, and I used to drop in and watch these guys hand make their guitars. The amount of work that goes into making a guitar is astounding. They used to make custom 6 string Bass guitars, and these were just monstrous - but they looked VERY cool.

I would really like to have a unique guitar hanging on the wall of my gamesroom (one day). One of my other buddies has a Paul Stanley Ibanez Iceman signed by Paul Stanley. It is his prized possession.

Guitarists share the same passion for guitars that pinball collectors have for their pinballs. Difference is that musician's have the gift of playing music that makes most of us very happy !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

I saw Whitesnake in Melbourne in the late 80's with Vandenberg and Vivian Campbell. The aussie tour was the first with the new lineup, and they were sloppy and Vandenberg was clearly drunk and struggled through the show.

I can't play a note but I love looking at guitars and hearing people's stories. I have a lot of respect for musicians, and these ""off topic (pinball)" threads are a great read. One of my closest buddies used to work at Belman Guitars, and I used to drop in and watch these guys hand make their guitars. The amount of work that goes into making a guitar is astounding. They used to make custom 6 string Bass guitars, and these were just monstrous - but they looked VERY cool.

I would really like to have a unique guitar hanging on the wall of my gamesroom (one day). One of my other buddies has a Paul Stanley Ibanez Iceman signed by Paul Stanley. It is his prized possession.

Guitarists share the same passion for guitars that pinball collectors have for their pinballs. Difference is that musician's have the gift of playing music that makes most of us very happy !

Another great story there! That Signed Iceman would be one hell of a collectors item for kiss fans and guitar fans and you are dead right on the work and thought that goes into making a quality hand made guitar. These guys are artists as well as craftsmen and are every bit as talented as the genius players out there.
I honestly believe that all of us have the ability to play something. Obviously some are far better at it than others but music in general is something we can all particpate in, a little bit of regular practice and commitment will bring results, it's the first few months that are the hardest.
Music is the tonic that brings people together. *%*

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
"Guitarists share the same passion for guitars that pinball collectors have for their pinballs. Difference is that musician's have the gift of playing music that makes most of us very happy !"

i can play a guitar but im shithouse at pinball lol ahaha doesnt stop me playing pinball however lol

Im not collector of guitars, mine is used and looks used, love picking up a nice used guitar that is settup well. ready to play. even if i dont play it touching guitars is the best part. feeling the weight, and feeling the action. in the past i have never been afraid to buy a guitar and piss it off if i didnt like it and trade it. and i do like looking at guitars i know i couldnt play to its style.

i would love to buy a few collection guitars to hang on my wall also, something really neat. guitars look great, and often none guitar players collect them. i would end up ruining a collectors guitar so thats why i have stayed away from one. unless it was all beat up coz a band owned one. only problem with them hanging on wall is maintaining them, they do need to be maintained. strings go rusty and bridges and what not can go rusty sitting. when my guitar gets a bit dirty i wack a new set of strings on it and i recon it looks even better, i love used looking fret boards and bridges but one part i want looking good is the paint on the body. lol
but you could sit there for hours looking at guitars.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:47:08 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
Im not collector of guitars, mine is used and looks used, love picking up a nice used guitar that is settup well. ready to play. even if i dont play it touching guitars is the best part. feeling the weight, and feeling the action. in the past i have never been afraid to buy a guitar and piss it off if i didnt like it and trade it. and i do like looking at guitars i know i couldnt play to its style.

+1 ^^^
All of my guitars until now have been used, there is soemthing about a fretboard that has been played and wood that has had time to age. I bought this one becuase of the price mainly..too cheap to knock back and beause it's a Ric.
This Ric although great is a little wider in the neck than normal( more like a gibson), the great thing is as oj said you can always trade a quality guitar in on another if you arent 100% into it.
The problem with Rics is you can't play them in a shop most times if at all like most other guitars and I had never played a 660 before..I have had 610 and 330 Rics in the past( thinner neck) and I took a punt on this one and it is certainly different and fun...if it's a keeper or not...I will know in a week or so after more time.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »

+1 ^^^
All of my guitars until now have been used, there is soemthing about a fretboard that has been played and wood that has had time to age. I bought this one becuase of the price mainly..too cheap to knock back and beause it's a Ric.
This Ric although great is a little wider in the neck than normal( more like a gibson), the great thing is as oj said you can always trade a quality guitar in on another if you arent 100% into it.
The problem with Rics is you can't play them in a shop most times if at all like most other guitars and I had never played a 660 before..I have had 610 and 330 Rics in the past( thinner neck) and I took a punt on this one and it is certainly different and fun...if it's a keeper or not...I will know in a week or so after more time.

if you like it or not thats a stunner, id wack it on the wall. but i recon you should like it if you play to its style.

how wide is the neck? and how many frets is it?

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
Oh I like it, no dramas there. It was not as easy to play at first because of the neck,not sure of the width in mm but it's a lil bigger than a les paul neck from feel. Plus I have not played for any major length of time in ages.I have had no guitar in the house for over 18 months and beside from the odd jam with my brothers I have not been playing at all. I got caught right up in pins and let the music slide.........time to even things out.
I need some more time to blow the cobwebs off  but I just had a fantastic little 30 mins or so and she is starting to feel really sweet.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
Oh I like it, no dramas there. It was not as easy to play at first because of the neck,not sure of the width in mm but it's a lil bigger than a les paul neck from feel. Plus I have not played for any major length of time in ages.I have had no guitar in the house for over 18 months and beside from the odd jam with my brothers I have not been playing at all. I got caught right up in pins and let the music slide.........time to even things out.
I need some more time to blow the cobwebs off  but I just had a fantastic little 30 mins or so and she is starting to feel really sweet.

thats fair enough, yer i recon you will get used to it. with any luck it will be the guitar you wont ever want to get rid of. its great when you find that and you dont have to search any more. some guitars you get excited about for a few weeks and then you just cant stand it any more, then you get that guitar that you just love and never want to see go. and it doesn't seem to matter the make it just finds you, its weird how that works with guitars. if you think this is the case on this guitar never never never let it go lol, mine has a thinner kneck and small scale, i loved playing it from the word go but that didnt mean it took a while to get used to it because i would catch my fingers on the wrong string at first lol. there is plenty of advantages to both styles should learn some blues should have a nice clean sound i would think, and should sound dirty in distortion which is cool
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:46:28 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
My 330 and 610 had a thinner neck and were small scale, they were like playing butter..sooo smooth.
Should have kept them both but I needed some cash and wanted a change.
I have a mxr distortion and analog chorus on the way and I have a old boss0d-1 around here somewhere...just looking for a good delay at a good price.
I don't think I will let it go but I said that about my last guitar and I sold that to help fund a cftbl... :lol