Author Topic: i REALLY hate Winmdows 7  (Read 877 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
i REALLY hate Winmdows 7
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
I had to get a new comp..... can only get Windows 7 it seems. Im really struggling with this OS and find it all VERY convaluted to do the simplest tasks... moving one file or picture to somewhere OTHER than where it thinks you should move it to is a bloody pain amongst many other things.
Then today i go to use my HP 4600 scanner and the driver is not compatible.. neither are some of my signage programs.
I have an old laptop with XP on it... very easy program to use and EVERYTHING works.

Be warned 460X scanjet owners... upgrade your OS and your scanner is rendered useless

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: i REALLY hate Winmdows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
trust microsoft to create another OS that creates tons and tons of E waste.
I tried Windows 7 on my PC and after a month I scrapped it and re installed XP
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »
Get a mac, faster, safer and easier and then if you want windows (as well as other windows programs) you can still put it on and it runs it faster than a pc, best of both worlds.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »
Get a mac, faster, safer and easier and then if you want windows (as well as other windows programs) you can still put it on and it runs it faster than a pc, best of both worlds.

Until the Mac breaks .. expensive to fix
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Then today i go to use my HP 4600 scanner and the driver is not compatible.. neither are some of my signage programs.
I have an old laptop with XP on it... very easy program to use and EVERYTHING works.

Be warned 460X scanjet owners... upgrade your OS and your scanner is rendered useless

Thanks for the heads up, just another reason for me NOT to upgrade to the so called latest and greatest.

Luv my 4600...oversized plastics, decals or even playfields.  #@#
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:10:43 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20ScanJet%204600%20See-thru%20Flatbed%20Scanner&v=HP&uid=Q3112AA2L&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=0&s=HP%204600%20scanner&os=64-bit

hmmmm

you will get used to windows 7, its a truck load better than vista, lol, as for mac,
only good if you work in an industry that uses mac.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:28:19 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:56:01 PM »
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20ScanJet%204600%20See-thru%20Flatbed%20Scanner&v=HP&uid=Q3112AA2L&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=0&s=HP%204600%20scanner&os=64-bit

hmmmm

you will get used to windows 7, its a truck load better than vista, lol, as for mac,

Sorry mate.... page is incorrect. I know that microsoft say that this model is supported.. but it doesnt work and says that it has compatibilty issues... the add on programs work, but not the driver. Go to HP website and Win7 is not listed.
Try to use the scanner and its a no no

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »

hmmmm

Sorry mate.... page is incorrect. I know that microsoft say that this model is supported.. but it doesnt work and says that it has compatibilty issues... the add on programs work, but not the driver. Go to HP website and Win7 is not listed.
Try to use the scanner and its a no no

have you done a windows update? might be on an drivers update pack?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:54:23 AM »

My HP 4600 works perfectly on my Win7 desktop and laptop. I don't recall doing anything special to get it running. It appears in my devices tab and I right click and select "scan" and it works.

I'll have a play tomorrow for you Gav - but it DOES work.

Microsoft finally got it right with Windows 7. I'm not a MS Fanboi, but Macs can be a real pain to do simple tasks like connecting a printer. Windows 7 still needs 234 reboots when applying updates and I've had to re install twice because of Virus issues. DON'T USE "Microsoft Security Essentials" as your Anti Virus - it is the worst AV I've ever used.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
Yes, windows is all up to date..

Nino - yours works???... Maybe i need to uninstall the driver and just try to plug and play?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
apeaking of viruses retro did you get rid of that one that was giving you grief a while ago??

it should install your program, thing is its hp that is not making a driver for windows 7 its their fault not windows, but windows have made its own backwards compatible so these much used brand name devices can still work, thats not to say all will but many will, its not vista that didnt do that to well. it should auto settup down the bottom corner right when you plug it in, it goes searching for it, but you can do a custom windows update and install the latest driver pack from microsoft, if it wasnt included on regular update, try custom update and include the updates you want should work i would think. if you tried using hp's drivers for xp you might have some conflicting problems windows 7 has drivers built in and should do it auto by clicking the right corner when it says device found.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:59:42 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Homepin for Prime Minister  <..>

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
apeaking of viruses retro did you get rid of that one that was giving you grief a while ago??

it should install your program, thing is its hp that is not making a driver for windows 7 its their fault not windows, but windows have made its own backwards compatible so these much used brand name devices can still work, thats not to say all will but many will, its not vista that didnt do that to well. it should auto settup down the bottom corner right when you plug it in, it goes searching for it, but you can do a custom windows update and install the latest driver pack from microsoft, if it wasnt included on regular update, try custom update and include the updates you want should work i would think. if you tried using hp's drivers for xp you might have some conflicting problems windows 7 has drivers built in and should do it auto by clicking the right corner when it says device found.

No mate..... couldnt get rid of the virus 100%... was a REAL BASTARD. I tried all the virus programs that were suggested by members here, but the virus just stopped them from running and my comp was slow.... oh so slow! I managed to get rid of most of it, but it just reattached itself to another item.
In the end i bought a new comp.. copied all files to a remote hard drive which also transferred part of the virus... then run several anti virus programs to disable it... then transfer to new comp... virus stayed on the remote drive. I still dont know how i got it in the first place... probably some bugger with a MAC!!!!  %.% %.% %.% %.%

Offline mildflame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
I tried posting this last night but my laptop was playing up:
I would go into detail about Win7 but i don't want to waste my time. Windows XP was the greatest OS from 2002 through to 2008 There were ~10 differant versions made from it because it was so advanced and easy at the same time. WinVista was a major flop! Windows created a new scorce code that allowed them to use transparency for effectivly and multitask, Windows Vista was basicly a preview for developers so they could make sure their software would work on Windows 7, I will advise that Windows 7 IS NOT designed for low power PC's because of the large programming involved with the multitasking features that run in the background.
I LOVE my Windows 7 and will definatly try to get Windows 8 when it releases. I think their new scorce code has much potencial.
The reason why some programs and drivers don't work on Win7 is because of these new things but if you have an internet connection (which you clearly do) don't ever install a driver that comes with the hardware... all I do is make sure i'm connected to the Internet, and plug in the thing I want it to use. Windows Hardware manager firstly searches the system folders to find an appropriate driver, It never usually finds any, It then searches on Windows Update for one that will work. I never have problems with my windows 7 unless I am trying to connect to a server that runs XP or sharing a printer through a computer on a network that has a WIN OS earlier than Vista, Even then it can be fixed if you have the patience and knowledge.
I have many Dongles and add-ons that I have bought from Hong Kong and they work fine if I don't use the software they come with.
I would suggest typing your scanner into Google and pay a vist to the manufactures website to download the Win7 driver if windows update can't find one.
One thing that you must stay aware of though is what BIT version of windows you have x86(32 bit) or x64 (64 bit), they can be important when installing drivers.
I Believe anyone can enjoy Windows 7, but there is a A LOT of differences and new things that need to be learned to understand and use the OS. I dislike using Windows XP now because I am so use to Windows 7 and I use the unusual features and shortcuts all the time.

As for apple OS's...   I don't know anything else so restricted and basic, I do my head in trying to use it! all the ugly windows and annoying room wasters like the dock as well as the status bar that doesn't merge with the window when in full screen. it just seems too much!
I don't want to enforce my beliefs or anything but unlike apple, with Windows nothing is impossible.

good luck getting your scanner working, i'm sure there is an easy fix to your issue!

... I have written too much...  :lol
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »

Cleaned the thread up a bit.

Gav - Sent you an email - HP 4600 took 5 minutes to setup on my Win 7 PC. I'm no Microsoft fanboi, but it did work.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia