Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

I did like Shaun of the Dead, that was worth a giggle.
*%*
Great parody and a quality film.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »

shaun of the dead was good it sort of follows the zombie spoofs like braindead lol,
one worth watching is "black sheep" lol zombie sheep lol ahaha its a classic

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »
This walking dead show isn't bad. It does use old school style zombie gore. Not the real fancy shot you see in new zOmbie flicks
Boyle used some simmilar shooting techniques to Romero on 28 days later, the only difference was he made his dead fast and gave the audience an explanation for them being there right away. The original dead films were shot on 35mm with shoestring budgets. Todays remakes are big studio cashed up HD and are good films as well in thier own right.
The remakes of Day and more so Dead have that new style of fast paced cuts and plenty of them combined with the faster dead, they sure still follow the formula storywise but your right the $$ thrown into them make them more graphic.

28 days later was garbage imo. far from a Romero or Tom Savini style effects. BOyle was a one hit one wonder in making a good film trainspotting is his only film worth watching. 28 days later belongs with resident evil as a wannabe zombie movie.
imo zombies are shit on their own is only because there is a mass of them it makes them hard to get away from, thats what is cool about real zombie movies not having super strong super fast dead things. and walking dead has kept that theme, however why wont any of these characters in walking dead actually call it a zombie even if its called a zombie once by some one lol, my only beef with it lol
I agree on RE films, they are stupid just like the video games.
I totally agree with you with old style slow dead etc as I have said before my favs are the original romero films but I disagree on your opinon of Boyle as a director.
Walking dead zombies are not remake day or dead fast but they do seem to have another gear compared to the old films for sure.
I will always prefer night and day as my favs but I love this series because it focuses more on the survivors and thier struggles.
I love the human conflict and the moral lines blurrred in the middle of the madness, same themes explored in the films but to more extent.
Love Savinis bikie in day btw.

The walking dead are the living not the zombies in the series. It's a superb play on words.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »

shaun of the dead was good it sort of follows the zombie spoofs like braindead lol,

Braindead was great, didn't like black sheep so much. Dead snow was ok.
A mate of mine was the lead in Undead the aussie zombie flick...it was ok but nothing to write home about.
Zombie films are heaps of fun to make, we made a short zombie film when I was doing a film and tv course yrs ago.
Of all the productions we made this was the one when the cast and crew got on the best, it's the old saying with horror...scary to watch done right but always heaps of fun to make regardless.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:18:28 PM by Cow Corner »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
but you have to agree, out of all the zombie style shows and movies over the last few years, this walking dead uses almost identical style gore special effects to what Tom Savini did in many of romaro's best zombie films, i hope this sets a trend for new zombie movies that aren't just splat-stick comedy's.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »

Braindead was great, didn't like black sheep so much. Dead snow was ok.
A mate of mine was the lead in Undead the aussie zombie flick...it was ok but nothing to write home about.
Zombie films are heaps of fun to make, we made a short zombie film when I was doing a film and tv course yrs ago.
Of all the productions we made this was the one when the cast and crew got on the best, it's the old saying with horror...scary to watch done right but always heaps of fun to make regardless.

ive got a signed framed poster of undead by the spirig brothers when making undead, it was made only 15mins from where i live, its an ok movie very simular to braindead it had peter jackson style influences written all over it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:27:28 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
but you have to agree, out of all the zombie style shows and movies over the last few years, this walking dead uses almost identical style gore special effects to what Tom Savini did in many of romaro's best zombie films, i hope this sets a trend for new zombie movies that aren't just splat-stick comedy's.
Oh yeah for sure, it's a homage that Darrabont wanted to bring to the series in respect for Romero and Savini and it was a very good move imo.
Tom Savini is still the master and the orignal pioneer for horror sfx.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »
[/quote]

ive got a signed framed poster of undead by the spirig brothers when making undead, it was made only 15mins from where i live, its an ok movie very simular to braindead it had peter jackson style influences written all over it.
[/quote]

Cool, memorabillia is always cool.
I got an offer to work on it but couldn't...doh...but many of the extra hired help are still waiting for payment even today so it may have been better not to...never know I guess. I met them at the after show party following the Undead premiere at BIFF, they seemed very switched on.
Undead was ok but the last film Daybreakers was a let down, mungo from undead and his partner emma also have small roles in this film but unfortunately the film goes from good to bad to down right silly.
Yes Undead did have the Jackson style for sure, nowhere near as good though but it also had a Hollywood production about it in the dop and editing, pretty impressive considering they did it pretty much all themselves includng editing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:51:25 PM by Cow Corner »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »
Bought this series for my wife after reading the recommendations here..... Watched 2 episodes so far and its bloody great... wife loves it!

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
Bought this series for my wife after reading the recommendations here..... Watched 2 episodes so far and its bloody great... wife loves it!

yer its good, seeing you have only watched 2 episodes, so its hard to imagine what im about to say,
 just to warn you it is a drama more than a horror.
not that its a bad thing this is a great show, but if you are expecting a full on horror its not, its a drama with tonnes of gore, which is prety cool, but the end of series two it goes back into gore again, it has episodes where its drama then others where its gore and tonnes of killing, and this show has no problems killing off the people you like also. so its pretty well balanced, and they are happy to turn good guys into bad guys. but zombie deaths are very traditional style as you would expect from an old school zombie spat, plenty of entrails and guts and shovels to the head lol
thats about all ill say so not to spoil it for you, enjoy

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »

yer its good, seeing you have only watched 2 episodes, so its hard to imagine what im about to say,
not that its a bad thing this is a great show, but if you are expecting a full on horror its not, its a drama with tonnes of gore, which is prety cool, but the end of series two it goes back into gore again, it has episodes where its drama then others where its gore and tonnes of killing, and this show has no problems killing off the people you like also. so its pretty well balanced, and they are happy to turn good guys into bad guys. but zombie deaths are very traditional style as you would expect from an old school zombie spat, plenty of entrails and guts and shovels to the head lol

Seen em all now... bit of a marathon session was had.
Series 2 available by chance??

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »

Seen em all now... bit of a marathon session was had.
Series 2 available by chance??

might be worth checking ebay.

we watched series two on paytv the other week and it has finished now so good chance its for sale from the usa at the very least

series 3 comes out in october

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
Season 2 will be released on blu ray and dvd on the 20th of June.

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
No love for Zombieland? Shaun of the Dead was hilarious, Hot Fuzz too though it's not about zombies.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »
No love for Zombieland? Shaun of the Dead was hilarious, Hot Fuzz too though it's not about zombies.
Yeah I like Zombieland and Shaun, they were good fun.