Author Topic: Under-rated Aussie bands  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Under-rated Aussie bands
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
What about my brother Stevos band Area-7:-)

^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
the best bands from Australia.

Karnivool
the butterfly effect.

I worked on a video clip for Butterfly Effect...man they were really up themselves and this was very early days too, not bad live though.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »
Nick barker and the Reptiles
The Wreckery
Painters and Dockers
The Birthday Party/The Boys Next Door. (Though Nick Cave when on to be pretty well known)
The Celibate Rifles
The Stems

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
The Wreckery
Painters and Dockers
The Birthday Party/The Boys Next Door. (Though Nick Cave when on to be pretty well known)
The Celibate Rifles
The Stems

Birthday Party were huge in London.. they were my favourite band at the time and didnt miss a gig right from the early days to when they got so big that it was impossible to really enjoy the gigs anymore... remember bumping into Nick on Ladbroke Grove... strung out on heroin and with his cuban heeled boots held together with black insulation tape.. they were skint, hungry, angry and fantastic!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
The Wreckery
Painters and Dockers
The Celibate Rifles
The Stems

Birthday Party were huge in London.. they were my favourite band at the time and didnt miss a gig right from the early days to when they got so big that it was impossible to really enjoy the gigs anymore... remember bumping into Nick on Ladbroke Grove... strung out on heroin and with his cuban heeled boots held together with black insulation tape.. they were skint, hungry, angry and fantastic!

That's Awesome, I never saw him with The Birthday Party only with The Bad Seeds and more recently with The Dirty Three. Aussie legend if you ask me.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:23 PM »
The Wreckery
Painters and Dockers
The Celibate Rifles
The Stems

That's Awesome, I never saw him with The Birthday Party only with The Bad Seeds and more recently with The Dirty Three. Aussie legend if you ask me.

Saw him at the Big Day out 2 years back.. the irony of it all just struck me as i stood there.. i first saw this guy at a small gig in London aged 15.. here i am in Australia aged 45 and im still seeing this guy do his stuff.. just felt like id gone full circle with the man

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »

Karnivool
the butterfly effect.

I worked on a video clip for Butterfly Effect...man they were really up themselves and this was very early days too, not bad live though.

i wouldnt care if they are up them selves or not. make good music thats about as much as i care, lol.

but i think Karnivool is my top pick for most underated, as the lead singers side project "Birds of tokyo" is famous as hell these days and make shithouse music. i guess the upside to Birds of tokyo is he isnt producing that mainstream shit under Karnivool.

i dont think you could call any thing Nick Cave has been in underrated, the guy is a superstar in the music world from the beginning to now. i cant call my self a complete fan of nick cave but there are songs of his i find really cool, but I wouldn't dispute any one who says he is a legend as he has earned a title like that, He will go down as one of the greats i recon. funny thing about nick cave is, he gets bugger all air play, but is famous as hell. thats cool in my opinion, he doesn't need his songs played to death every day on the radio and to be seen as one of Australia's or even a world wide music great.

he is also a bloody good director, "The Proposition" was a bloody fantastic film
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:45:12 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
The Wreckery
Painters and Dockers
The Celibate Rifles
The Stems

Dockers
Rifles
Stems
 ^^^

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »

Karnivool
the butterfly effect.

i wouldnt care if they are up them selves or not. make good music thats about as much as i care, lol.

but i think Karnivool is my top pick for most underated, as the lead singers side project "Birds of tokyo" is famous as hell these days and make shithouse music. i guess the upside to Birds of tokyo is he isnt producing that mainstream shit under Karnivool.

i dont think you could call any thing Nick Cave has been in underrated, the guy is a superstar in the music world from the beginning to now. i cant call my self a complete fan of nick cave but there are songs of his i find really cool, but I wouldn't dispute any one who says he is a legend as he has earned a title like that, He will go down as one of the greats i recon. funny thing about nick cave is, he gets bugger all air play, but is famous as hell. thats cool in my opinion, he doesn't need his songs played to death every day on the radio and to be seen as one of Australia's or even a world wide music great.

he is also a bloody good director, "The Proposition" was a bloody fantastic film

Agree with you on Nick Cave, deadset superstar and very well known with heaps of kudos thrown his way. Cave did not direct The Proposition, John Hillcoat( the road) did...cave wrote the screenplay and the music. They have teamed up again on a new film.
Disagree with you on Butterfly Effect, pretty ordinary band.
Birds of Tokyo suck big time. Highly over-rated band.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:03:38 AM by Cow Corner »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
TISM crack me up, put on a great live show

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »

Oh yeah forgot about them, dunno about them as musos as such, i can't remember them playing instruments live...just dancing around in crazy costumes to backing tracks and singing but your right the live shows were top fun and the songs were piss funny.
I'm on the drug that killed river phoenix.... :lol

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »

Oh yeah forgot about them, dunno about them as musos as such, i can't remember them playing instruments live...just dancing around in crazy costumes to backing tracks and singing but your right the live shows were top fun and the songs were piss funny.

I agree wouldn't exactly describe them as musos but they did actually play instruments at their gigs, their last line up was:
Ron Hitler-Barassi: Vocals
Humphrey B. Flaubert: Vocals, Drums
Jock Cheese: Bass, Guitar, Vocals
Eugene de la Hot-Croix Bun: Keyboards, Vocals
Jon St. Peenis: Saxophone, Vocals
Les Miserables: Dancing, Vocals
Tokin' Blackman used to play guitar but passed away.

Check out 'the white albun' for some classic show footage, funny stuff, from very intellegent guys

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

I agree wouldn't exactly describe them as musos but they did actually play instruments at their gigs, their last line up was:
Ron Hitler-Barassi: Vocals
Humphrey B. Flaubert: Vocals, Drums
Jock Cheese: Bass, Guitar, Vocals
Eugene de la Hot-Croix Bun: Keyboards, Vocals
Jon St. Peenis: Saxophone, Vocals
Les Miserables: Dancing, Vocals
Tokin' Blackman used to play guitar but passed away.

Check out 'the white albun' for some classic show footage, funny stuff, from very intellegent guys

Cool, thanks for that mate, I will suss that albulm out...rumor was they were lawyers before starting the band. !@#

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
they started while they were still in uni. i heard they were studying law but possibly one was a teacher as they used to play gigs around the school holiday periods

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »
Powder Monkeys
Eastern Dark
New Christs
Yes-Men
DM3
Someloves
Orange Humble Band
Radio Birdman (HUGELY influential to OZ music)
Bored!
Trilobites
Louise Tillett
Beast of Bourbon
Kim Salmon
Nunbait
and there's many, many more...

most bands mentioned in this thread are legendary in Europe, majority of people in this country just never worked it out ::)....

WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI