Author Topic: TAF Mansion & Magnet Burn Overlays, Will pay for help(Gold Coast)  (Read 920 times)

Offline ezypin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
Anybody around the gold coast interested in earning some cash, I will be installing the mansion and magnet burn overlays, but i will need some help from somebody that has done this before
Cheers

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:53:44 AM by ezypin »

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
Has anybody here done the magnet burn overlay before, it looks tricky to cut around the smoke trails.
Any tips or advice appreciated.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
 %)% ezypin, what do the overlays look like, can you use a fine scalpel?

Please feel free to post in the 'introduce yourself' section to say g'day  $!&

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
%)% ezypin, what do the overlays look like, can you use a fine scalpel?

Can you post pics of the overlays? That might help us to see what needs to happen.

There are a couple of Gold Coast guys on here that I can think of, but I guess they have been scared off this one?

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap

Ok, here is the magnet burn overlay

And the mansion overlay

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
They look good, are they not already cut to size?
If they aren't I would suggest cutting to size with a fine scalpel, just go easy, dont rush and you'll have no probs at all

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
So obviously you need to remove the insert areas; I am guessing that you need to cut those out? Do you need to cut around the outside as well, or is it precut for you? I have never used an overlay so I am in the dark here.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Is it just the photos or are the colours way different?

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Yeah, the mansion overlay looks very purple?

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
I found this image of the overlay from Mrpinball website. I havnt ordered it yet. I assume its just the colour of the backing behind the overlay.

What im wondering is if you have to cut out the playfield excactly. or do you just make the overlay a touch bigger than the area your covering then trim the overlay down?

Cheers

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I found this image of the overlay from Mrpinball website. I havnt ordered it yet. I assume its just the colour of the backing behind the overlay.

What im wondering is if you have to cut out the playfield excactly. or do you just make the overlay a touch bigger than the area your covering then trim the overlay down?

Cheers

No thats the colour of the overlay - even if it was the colour of the backing then the green and white would be way out instead. Colour on this should be more lilac than purple. If its from Mr Pinball then it should be a licenced part, but this is way off spec.

Ive never inserted an overlay, but i have seen the results and have a PF here with an overlay. The idea is to cut out exactly what you intend to replace. My concern with this particular overlay is that if the colours are so far out then the sizing may well be also

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Yeah it is a bit of a worry, I had a overlay for the kickout on WH20, WAY different colours and slightly oversized  ^.^
Didn't bother using it, decided to touchup the area myself

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Well it does say it is die-cut, so I imagine it is already cut to size. Remove the backing paper from one edge, carefully align the edge and slowly removing the rest of the backing paper as you slowly lay down the overlay.

But if you read the rating on the product that you linked to, it is given two stars out of five. I recommend caution until you can find out more about this.

Does anyone on here have any experience of overlays with TAF?

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
Damn,
this is looking harder than first thought, would like to speak with somebody that has done TAF overlays, might end up looking worst than the heat cracks. I doubt i could
cut out such a complex shape to the 10th millimeter. Anyone in Brisbane or gold coast who wants a job PM me. Professionals included.