Author Topic: TAF Mansion & Magnet Burn Overlays, Will pay for help(Gold Coast)  (Read 918 times)

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Colour looks way off. I don't like it at all. I think you are better off keeping your playfield the way it is. That is going to stick out like a sore thumb I'm afraid. Then there is the issue of how it's going to stay down on your playfield as it's only a sticker. I would think you need to apply clearcoat on top and let it cure.

Just my 2c.

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
Maybe a dirty big piece of mylar over the top helps it stay down.

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
I have done the mansion overlay more than once. I gave up on one magnet overlay with the Siren & smoke as the orange area of colour was more like babyshit brown (Hand painted the damage instead).
IMHO
(a) You must be prepared to have the PF professionally clearcoated with two pack after applying the decal(s) I do not personally hold with Mylar as it will cause ball deflection and is impossible to apply crystal clear ie. without air inclusions which cause "misting" or "sparkle" from minute bubbles.
(b) The original Mansion inserts may well need to be cleaned and rebuilt up to flush with coats clear acrylic spray (blocking back between coats) before applying the overlay decal.
(c) SLIP on the decals on using diluted windex or water with a few drops of detergent. This "slipping" method is essential to get near perfect edge matching. CAREFULLY tamp dry & leave for 20-30 mins to set.
(d) You or an artist will most likely need to touch-paint back the black borders around the PF inserts as there are often chipped bits and imperfections in the decal extremities. If the decal(s) aren't exact, some work may be needed on coloured borders too; this does require much skill. Then it's off to the clearoaters.
(e) Buy or build the magnet protection fuse kit to prevent another disaster!
(f) For f*ck it's hard to do! Good luck finding a resto artist nearby.

Max
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
Thankyou Max
I don't think i have the skill or tools to be able to strip this machine down, to send playfield away for clear coating.

I think i might just try touching the magnet burn cracks up with super glue and paint. As for the mansion overlay, maybe just some
super glue, paint and new decals.

Cheers

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Mark C, one of our commercial sponsors is getting a few reproduction PFs from the US, I'm not sure how much they are but one of these would bring it up like new.  Send him a PM if you are interested in going that way

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
What you need to do when installing over lays is to make sure the area that you intend to cover is clean and has a surface that will take the decals adhesive. What I am saying is that you need to make sure the surface is totally flat (especially the mansion area) because this area will have small crevices around the inserts. The only way to get round this is to mask off the outer area (area that's not being covered) and reduce it by around 8mm (Area that you are flatting back is smaller than the decal) and sand down the area that is being covered. This needs to be done until the said area is totally smooth and without any imperfections. You don't need to sand back to the wood just enough so you have a totally smooth and flat area, this will also help with the adhesive giving it a good key to stick to. If needed you can us a 2 part filler (very strong) filler if there are deep crevices around the inserts to bring it back flat BUT! make sure that the inserts are not covered with any filler once sanded as the light need to get through. Make up a water and washing up liquid solution (around 25=1) and spray the playfield before laying the decal onto the area, this will give you the time you need to move the decal and match the new decal with the playfield. Once you have positioned the decal where you want it you need to squeegee the remaining water out from underneath the decal until it all gone and then leave well alone in a warm room for at least 24 hours until the decal adheres to the playfield.
Don't be scared its not such a hard job to do, just take your time and don't rush anything if you do have any questions and if you need any more help just ask.
As for the decals they should come ready cut to size and you should not have to trim anything.
Once you have installed the decals the best way to seal them is with with clearcoat. Otherwise the edges will start to loose there colour with ball play over time. I have done quite a few playfields over the years using this method and had no trouble at all.
Hope this helps.
Darren.

Offline ezypin

• Forum Posts:
  • gold coast
    • make yourself a cap
Thanks Darren.
Looks like my problem is getting the playfield clear coated again.
Is it correct to say the only way to clear coat is to strip the playfield and send away, or can u just spot clearcoat, with certain products.

Cheers Ezy

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
Thanks Darren.
Looks like my problem is getting the playfield clear coated again.
Is it correct to say the only way to clear coat is to strip the playfield and send away, or can u just spot clearcoat, with certain products.

Cheers Ezy

Ezy,
For a proper job you need to totally strip the playfield and get it all clearcoated.
I have never looked into using mylar over the decal maybe this is an option? There seem to be quite a few people on this group that tend to prefer to use mylar and maybe they can give you some pointers. I myself prefer to get the whole playfield clearcoated but that's just me, different people have there own way of restoring machines. Mylar would mean that you would not have to strip the whole playfield and it could be the answer. See if anyone else can comment on using mylar and if it would be doable..
Darren.