Author Topic: Old Style EM Scorecard and Backflash Re-creation  (Read 632 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Old Style EM Scorecard and Backflash Re-creation
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
My DaC has an inset slot for the game instructions/ball in play illuminated card. Unfortunately my machine did not have this special card, so I set out to make one. Peter (the famous Inchikino) supplied me with the instruction card file (thanks mate), and the backflash card file he has is printed inverse (all letters/numbers back to front). I chose to create my own backflash as a part of the instruction card. Here is the final result:

The process (I have never written a resto type thread so here goes lol).
Take Peter's file, and print it on off-yellow paper.

Next I re-created the ball in play numbers/game-over text (used the black reflector thingy that sits in the apron slot over the bulbs to get the spacing right). This was printed on translucent paper (thought it gave some authenticity compared to the original cards). I am pretty sure the originals were white lettering/numbering, this deviation doesnt concern me though.
This translucent/now printed film was applied behind the ball in play area in the gamecard.

The whole thing contacted to keep it together, and look better. Next a plain white piece of thin cardboard was placed under the game card, but sitting just under the ball in play area. This card simply obscures shadowing from stray lighting.

Decided that the black insert thingy could do with some reflective material on its interior to beef-up the light out-put. This was just reflective cardboard that I bought from K-mart, cut to size and glued in.

Put in all in, looks pretty decent to me, yes not quite original but I am happy.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:55:54 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Old Style EM Scorecard and Backflash Re-creation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:30:36 PM »
Good result, certainly will come in handy for others to copy, I think.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:32:58 PM »
Good result, certainly will come in handy for others to copy, I think.

+1
Gotta be happy with that  ^^^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
Compared with an original type, mines different but does the job.
Original:

Mine:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:22:30 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline Inkochnito

• Forum Posts:
  • Piershil Netherlands
    • Inkochnito's Pinball score and instruction cards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
Great images!

Did you try printing the backmask and then turning it over?
It should turn out right as the text is in mirror image.
This way it should look the same as the original cards.

"Inchikino" now there's a name to remeber.  && @.@
You pronaunce my name the same as incognito.
My last name is Koch, so I've changed the middle to this and the result is Inkochnito.  %.%
Just making fun with you.  <.>

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
Can we just call you Inky then Peter?
 :lol

Peter I printed your back flash card, but the numbers/text faces the wrong way (even when I turn it over).
Am I missing something? lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:44:47 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »
Great result Greg,

Nothing worse than one of those old games missing the instruction cards! It sh*ts me when those cards are missing.

Thanks to Peter's EXCELLENT service (and yes Peter wil send you a list of my games tomorrow) alot of games had that gap taken away.

There was a guy in the US (Scott Phillips) who had about 1000 N.O.S. sets of Gottlieb card sets from the 1950 - 70 era and he was looking at selling the lot in bulk lot. The add disappeared so somebody must of bought them, fingers crossed it was PBR and they start listing them.

More importantly Greg, what do you think of the game?

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
More importantly Greg, what do you think of the game?

This is one fun game! The ball flys around the PF, and at times, well quite often the machine is playing by itself. Sometimes it can be ages before I get a flipper stroke in. The slings can propel the ball all the way up to top and take out targets, the side ones are often take out with rebounds. The ball just bounces around ping-pong style, I tend to nudge it as its about to strike a target. This almost self-playing table could frustrate some players I must admit (not me, its mad-fun). Only 4 targets that present a big challenge, the bottom 2, and the top far ones. Once you clear the targets its specials time, and milk the pop bumpers for the 100 points per hit (big points on this game). Its a definate keeper, and a 70's machine thats a cool hang-over from the 60's gottliebs.
 #*#

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
done some more with this, and have the numbers/letters coming through without the need for black ink. Also made-up some decals for the flippers, the originals are a little different and had "flipper" written on them, mine just has the cheaper 2 inch ones.

Offline Inkochnito

• Forum Posts:
  • Piershil Netherlands
    • Inkochnito's Pinball score and instruction cards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 04:02:33 AM »
Looks a lot better with the right font.  %$%
When you are not sure if you've got the right fonts, be sure to use the pdf file.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl