Author Topic: Wms Stellar Wars Backglass tidy up  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Wms Stellar Wars Backglass tidy up
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »
Hi all

here are a few pics of the backglass for the Stellar Wars that i just did the pf out of, belonging to  AP member howzat (Ian).

I'll be redoing most of the reds and some of the yellow.. not all of it just the badly faded and/or see thru parts to start with, and if i'm feeling brave maybe some of the more intricate areas.

Ideally it would be good to redo ALL of the red so it all matches but Its not really possible to do it all without going to a HUGE amount of trouble, but Ian is mostly concerned with the faded and see thru areas in the game name so its this area i'm concentrating on most, plus some of the cracks in the dark blue. Having said that, i'll be doing as much as i can to get this glass looking presentable.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Wms Stellar Wars Backglass tidy up
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »
a couple more pics from the back..

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your techniques on this one Mitch . ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
I've made a start already, having been doing some work on it for the last couple of days when time permitted.

I started on the red.. using the same auto acrylic spraypaints i have used on my Stern Dracula and Quickdraw glasses (among others)
You can see in the previous pics i had already started scraping the reds in places  *%* being so faded and loose it scraped off real easy with virtually NO chipping of the black key lines!

After scraping the glass clean i cleaned the glass with Windex sprayed onto a tissue (NOT straight onto the glass)!! then cut some stencils to spray the paint on.
As with my Drac glass and the others i place a light underneath shining up thru to aid in tracing the outlines onto the paper stencils i make to do this. The light also help me make sure i get an even coverage of paint.. not much paint is needed, just enough to cover and no more, this way when i add the white paint later on to help diffuse the lights the colours will 'pop' even more!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
More pics.. spraying the red for the game name.. i didn't do all this in one hit, i prefer doing smallish sections at at time rather than a whole lot at once.

1st and 2nd pics without and with the light shining up thru respectively so i can see how its looking..

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:41:31 PM »
last lot of pics for now.. reds done in this section  #*#

1st pic, glass scraped and cleaned
2nd pic, stencil placed and paint applied
3rd pic, stencil removed.. i do this immediately after spraying the paint on
4th pic, how its looking so far!

Next i'll start on the yellows

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
Looking good so far .

So you don't seal the glass until afer you repaint affected areas, is that right ? and you just use paper to make the stencils for the areas you want to respray?

I'm asking all these questions because I have to try and repaint a lot of areas on my '65 Gottlieb Thoro Bred glass soon.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:51:34 PM by goodolddays »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »
Looking good so far .

So you don't seal the glass until afer you repaint affected areas, is that right ?

What material do you use for the stencil ?

I am wondering about the stencil sticking to an unsealed glass and lifting other paint off when removed .

I'm asking all these questions because I have to try and repaint a lot of areas on my '65 Gottlieb Thoro Bred glass soon.

I didnt seal this one before doing this as it wasn't necessary. if the surrounding paint is lifting i'll seal with TT first before spraying the colour, otherwise you get the colour you are spraying/airbrushing bleeding in underneath the surrounding artwork which is NOT good!!
i'd probably advise anyone trying this for the first time to seal the cleaned off glass with TT before spraying any new colour on *%* *%*

I use thin white cardboard or plain white copy paper for the stencils.. cardboard probably a better choice but i use paper most of the time as its usually on hand.

I'll be honest.. Yes there IS danger of the stencil sticking and lifting unsealed paint, and yes i've had it happen learning to do this for myself!! .. again probably better to seal first for a 1st timer before attempting this *%* You can usually see it from the front of the glass if the paint is lifted anywhere that has been scraped.. if its lifted along a scraped edge.. SEAL IT!! or you're gonna be in a world of hurt  !!! This is the main reason why i remove the stencil straight away, so the paint doesn't have time to dry and pull up surrounding paint that may be loose.

These are just tricks i've learned/taught myself that work for me that i've been doing for years, and i use them now as a part of my living doing resto work for others, and really are tricks ANYONE could do so long as care is taken.. having said that i'd HATE for someone to ruin their bg based on following my posts..

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:36:37 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
Fantastic result as usual Mitch.

My SW backglass is almost identical (to the before shots unfortunately) so amazing to see such a transformation. ^^^

You must be very pleased Ian.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:52:50 AM by Steevsee »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »

Love your work!

How well does the light come through compared to the original ink? Is it a matter of very light costs or other technique?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »

Love your work!

How well does the light come through compared to the original ink? Is it a matter of very light costs or other technique?

The light comes through pretty good, obviously its best to use as little paint as possible and the smoother you can get the paint on the better.

Its hard to get good pics showing how they look lit, but here are some pics of the quickdraw i did a year or so ago.. i posted these in the Quickdraw resto thread but i'll put them up again just to give you an idea of how they can turn out.

I redid the reds in this glass using the same techniques and even used the same colour red as i'm using on the Stellar glass.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:12:52 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
Yes Im very pleased #*#
 I can see that it will come up a treat  just as the P /f did    will have to post a pic      It plays really nice so I carnt Waite to get the B?G back in the game

It will look as nice as it did back when it was new                  Howzat   

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »
Hi guys, a bit more progress today  *%*

got some more of the red done, plus i redid the faded yellow in the name.

some pics;

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 12:25:36 AM »
More pics;

Redoing the Williams logo.

Last pic an overall pic of how the glass is looking so far.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »
Huge improvement so far and thanks for the tips  ^^^