Author Topic: Wms Stellar Wars Backglass tidy up  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Wms Stellar Wars Backglass tidy up
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »
Looking good so far .

So you don't seal the glass until afer you repaint affected areas, is that right ?

What material do you use for the stencil ?

I am wondering about the stencil sticking to an unsealed glass and lifting other paint off when removed .

I'm asking all these questions because I have to try and repaint a lot of areas on my '65 Gottlieb Thoro Bred glass soon.

I didnt seal this one before doing this as it wasn't necessary. if the surrounding paint is lifting i'll seal with TT first before spraying the colour, otherwise you get the colour you are spraying/airbrushing bleeding in underneath the surrounding artwork which is NOT good!!
i'd probably advise anyone trying this for the first time to seal the cleaned off glass with TT before spraying any new colour on *%* *%*

I use thin white cardboard or plain white copy paper for the stencils.. cardboard probably a better choice but i use paper most of the time as its usually on hand.

I'll be honest.. Yes there IS danger of the stencil sticking and lifting unsealed paint, and yes i've had it happen learning to do this for myself!! .. again probably better to seal first for a 1st timer before attempting this *%* You can usually see it from the front of the glass if the paint is lifted anywhere that has been scraped.. if its lifted along a scraped edge.. SEAL IT!! or you're gonna be in a world of hurt  !!! This is the main reason why i remove the stencil straight away, so the paint doesn't have time to dry and pull up surrounding paint that may be loose.

These are just tricks i've learned/taught myself that work for me that i've been doing for years, and i use them now as a part of my living doing resto work for others, and really are tricks ANYONE could do so long as care is taken.. having said that i'd HATE for someone to ruin their bg based on following my posts..

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:36:37 AM by Mr Pinbologist »