Author Topic: a few questions before I dive in  (Read 1783 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: a few questions before I dive in
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:29:09 PM »
Rob - You are not wasting anyone's time. I started doing my own airbrushing and clearcoating after asking for tips from Gavin and Tim. You will learn a lot from these guys - as I have  ^^^

Your first attempt looks very good - and isn't it satisfying once you take the first steps ?
thanks for the confidence boost and thanks to everyone that have helped me along the way. Hope I can be half as good as you guys one day. I do like the thought of bringing my games back to a respectable level. Will never do it as a job though.....too much fun at the pace I can do them in.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
I am looking at my stock of enamel paints and find that some colours that would be useful to mix together to get possibly the desired colour differ in finish. I have matts and glosses. My question is can you mix a matt with a gloss? If so, does it become a gloss, matt or maybe a satin finish?

I will probably go and buy what I need but not knowing the answer is killing me. I was given 20 or so humbrol tins of paint from my son if the brand helps in formulating your answer.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »
I am looking at my stock of enamel paints and find that some colours that would be useful to mix together to get possibly the desired colour differ in finish. I have matts and glosses. My question is can you mix a matt with a gloss? If so, does it become a gloss, matt or maybe a satin finish?

I will probably go and buy what I need but not knowing the answer is killing me. I was given 20 or so humbrol tins of paint from my son if the brand helps in formulating your answer.

Depending on the mix ratio, it will come up gloss. matte or inbetween.
My EM finish polyurathane is 75% gloss to 25% low sheen. If you use matte then it would be less to gloss, but the mix ratio i couldnt tell you and youll have to experiment to get the finish you require.

So the answer is yes... mixing manipulates the finish

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »

Depending on the mix ratio, it will come up gloss. matte or inbetween.
My EM finish polyurathane is 75% gloss to 25% low sheen. If you use matte then it would be less to gloss, but the mix ratio i couldnt tell you and youll have to experiment to get the finish you require.

So the answer is yes... mixing manipulates the finish
thanks mate will have a bit of fun.