Author Topic: WMS Funhouse Restoration  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
WMS Funhouse Restoration
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »

This is an interesting restoration that I've been working on recently, but I have had not enough time to post a thread on. I'm quite a way down the track, but the story about the machine needs to be told first.

Background

The machine was part of a container I imported a while ago, with a view to start a full restoration. The cabinet was faded and scratched, and definitely needed a full decal replacement. A friend of mine had a really nice Funhouse "restored" locally, but he was unimpressed with the redecal job. It was horrendous. He wanted the cabinet redone completely. So I struck a deal and swapped cabinets, as the redecal job was of a poor standard, but BETTER than the crappy cabinet I had imported. So when he had his cabinet redecalled professionally, I swapped out the hardware and thus inherited the poorly redecalled cabinet for future use. After all, it was better than a used and scratched cabinet ! So the machine has been sitting in storage until an AP member requested a Restored Funhouse. The cabinet pictures would have looked ok, but there was so much "wrong" that in the end, I could not put my name on this restoration. We already scoped out a repro playfield, plastics etc, but the cabinet was the weakest link. So we decided to redecal the cabinet CORRECTLY and with "Next Gen" authorized cab art. This had become a "High End Restoration".

Objective

From a reasonably "High End Restoration" to a "Nearly in Box" restoration. New cab decals and playfield is part of the restoration.

Condition

Playfield - 5/10. Typical container playfield. Worn, planking and faded.
Cabinet - Original 4/10. "Professionally restored" cabinet 5/10
Electronics - 9/10. Really nice boardset for its age

Before Pictures

I didn't take pictures before dismantling. The playfield was fully populated and the cabinet was swapped over.

The Cabinet

This is the replacement cabinet that was "professionally restored". The decals are not Next Gen or Screenprinted from Phoenixarcade. The decals were supposed to be the supplied Phoenixarcade, but they clearly were not ! There is NO preparation work. There is no repainting other than really poor hand brushing in some areas - and even that is incorrect - wrong color and finish. Inside of the cabinet was not even vacuumed. This is easily the worst redecal job I've ever seen.

The left side of the cabinet is an example of where this type of work should be left to people who know what they are doing ! The decal is peeling off the section need the front leg holes. There's considerable  creasing from around the leg area, and the most alarming parts was the separation of the decal from the cabinet under the siderail. It follows the siderail halfway down  !

The headbox was a mess. Again, the sticker peals off with ease, and the lack of ability to repaint the cabinet is alarming !

Back to the front of the cabinet. Pictures speak for themselves.

Took around 30 minutes to remove the stickers. Really poor quality !

I spent a few hours repairing the really poor "repairs" to the cabinet. It looks like the cabinet was a "trial and error" for different products. Eventually, I sanded the cabinet and straightened it up.

Primer / filler is applied.

First coat of base is painted correctly. Color was matched from my HUO Funhouse I had years ago.

Cabinet is put aside for the moment until the Authorised Next Gen Decals arrive !

Playfield

This is the original playfield which will be replaced.

Stripped !

Filthy parts ! Some will be replaced. These are to be cleaned, polished and then checked to see if they are originals sizes etc. In many cases, the wrong parts are used such as springs or other mechanical parts.

The perfect example. This does not look right !

That is a completely worn part.

New playfield

Reassembly commences after cleanings, polishing, tumbling and ordering new parts to replace those that are incorrect, worn or broken.

End of part 1 !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Re: WMS Funhouse Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
Watching this resto very closely. One day when I work up the courage id like to fully restore my funhouse. I learn so much from your resto's thanks for posting

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: WMS Funhouse Restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »
Great work and attention to detail. Proper way is the only way. Whoever restored that cabinet did a real bodgy job.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline spriggy

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
Some gr8 info on your restores SW... for Pinball noobs such as myself. 
Cheers

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »
Nice to see a FH restoration, one of the true classics.

Was the 'professional' decal job one of the Melbourne dealers?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »
Nice to see a FH restoration, one of the true classics.

Was the 'professional' decal job one of the Melbourne dealers?

Apparently so..

The most annoying part is the lack of preparation. The decals were knock offs, but would have passed as originals. I've had a professional with years of printing experience determine it was not screenprinted, and a fellow restorer who has done several Funhouse re decal jobs agree. The short cuts are astounding. This was their "High End Restoration" standard. Even the top of the headbox was not even cleaned - I cleaned that several times - it was filthy !

Having said that, the playfield swapover of this machine (with the redecalled cab) was very good !

Moving on..

The playfield components both above and below the playfield are checked, cleaned and tumbled. I hand polish screws etc on the buffer. After this step, I check all the parts that have been broken or compromised. In this case, there were many. Unless a thorough inspection is done, it can be hard to find broken parts that are hidden from normal view, and effect the gameplay. Here's an example ;

Trapdoor assembly is removed and looks fine - just filthy !

But look at the lubrication that has effectively seized the assembly. I also verify each plunger to see if they are the correct ones for the assembly. This game had Bally SS plunger and links on the slingshot assemblies.

Here's one container of filthy parts. They are degreased, washed in water and then metho. From there, I put them in the plunger for a day.

Then I sort them out prior to assembly ;

Major assemblies are rebuilt. New coil sleeves, correct coils and also springs if they are needed.

Here's the rebuilt trapdoor assembly. Works 100%

Next will be more playfield assembly and the Next Gen cab decals which have arrived ! I've also kept Greg busy with parts from RTBB and the PinballInc Ramps have arrived. So it is all coming together  ^^^

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »
Looks nice Nino.  How many hours work do you reckon you would put into a resto job like this?

By the way, could you bring your gardening gear with you on the weekend please?  Between the dogs digging holes and Alpacas destroying the roses, my garden needs a resto as well thanks......I like the look of yours. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
Looks nice Nino.  How many hours work do you reckon you would put into a resto job like this?

By the way, could you bring your gardening gear with you on the weekend please?  Between the dogs digging holes and Alpacas destroying the roses, my garden needs a resto as well thanks......I like the look of yours. 

It is a difficult question to answer. I'd say 75+ hours, but I don't usually count the hours as I enjoy the time I spend on the process. I approach the project differently than a company that works to make money. One day I'll log the hours..

Regarding the garden - That's my Wife's creation. I don't even mow the lawn - true story !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »

It is a difficult question to answer. I'd say 75+ hours, but I don't usually count the hours as I enjoy the time I spend on the process. I approach the project differently than a company that works to make money. One day I'll log the hours..

Regarding the garden - That's my Wife's creation. I don't even mow the lawn - true story !

Bummer.  Pinball, beers and talking trash it is then  ;o)
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
The Cabinet Decals have been installed along with some of the hardware. All the edges are trimmed rather than than the short cut of cutting along the edges which is very untidy. The black bolts are repainted and cleared. The door has already been painted (I'll cover that later), but I've installed the frame for these pictures.

Side rails and other hardware will be installed and then the half populated playfield soon after.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
can't believe thats my old cab
you did a sweet job on that Nino

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »
nice work Nino  ^^^

Rudy is Evil

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
Looking great Nino!  Huge difference between old work vs yours

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Looking great Nino!  Huge difference between old work vs yours

Thanks for your help the other day Marty  ^^^

Huge difference in the quality of decal. You can "feel" the texture of the Next Gen decals. The old ones were inkjet knock offs that were so poor and thin that you could lift the blue ink with a damp cloth.

I'm really pleased with the progress, but i have a deadline to meet so there will be a few late nights.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
Cab looks awesome  ^^^