Author Topic: You call **that** a “container pin”?? No. 3 - Well in this case, yes!  (Read 2456 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

The last of the trio of games Strangeways brought in for me with his container....

Also the last of the Capcoms I have been chasing is an Airborne. Pretty hard to find, and luckily Strangeways had his eye out and filled the last spot in the container with a last minute one that made it into the container with minutes to spare.

After unwrapping Elivs and Indy 500, expectations were high...Well, it was not like those two games which seem to have recently left a home collection. This game was dirty – I mean there was a layer of dust that was thick – not Euro grime – just dust.

The metal work (and I don’t think there are too many other games with this many metal ramps) was covered in spot rust, but a quick wipe showed it was surface rust only and would come off.

We looked the game over and there were questions right away. The playfield was in extremely good condition, as were the plastics and plastic ramps. But odd things were removed. For example, the 555 lamp holders were missing from a lot of the under playfield boards, but we found them at the back of the cabinet – globes gone. Flipper springs were gone, but the rest of the mechs in place. The odd bolt here and there missing, everything like someone had been pulling odd parts here and there from a dead game. The overall good condition of the game under the dust suggested the same thing.

Then we noticed that the power board had some rough repairs, and decided this game was a dead one, left with glass off for years, and raided for odd parts from time to time. Fortunately the rest of the boards look unmolested.

So here are some before shots.

Quite a bit a dirt to come off!

I gave the wireforms a bath in baking soda for a few hours, before a rub with a cloth then Brasso.

After pulling all the connectors  to remove the playfield, I found the main supply connector to the power board had damaged wires  - it looked like they had been pinched and cut by accident. The damage is on the side that would face away from you, so there’s every chance this is the culprit that put the game out of commission, and the cause never discovered. But that meant a game that has relatively low plays, so a win for us!

The cabinet main body is almost perfect. The head box has some dings (probably because its the widest part and probably had other games stuff in beside it over the years while it sat unloved as a parts game). The colour scheme of the game will make repair and touch up pretty easy (even for me).

Playfield scrubbed up OK.  #*#

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Looks like a cool game Nick . Wonder why anyone would solder fuses in place .. just does not make any sense
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Looks like a cool game Nick . Wonder why anyone would solder fuses in place .. just does not make any sense

Only thing I can guess if that the holder lost tension - pretty silly way to fix that though.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Huge difference in the before and after pics Nick. What a difference a simple clean makes. Great pick up.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
WOW that cleaned up nice!! looks great  ^^^ ^^^

Only thing I can guess if that the holder lost tension - pretty silly way to fix that though.

I've seen that a LOT.. mostly on Data East pins but can't say i've seen it on that style of fuse holder.
Possibly they were losing tension and getting hot i guess  !@#
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:53:29 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Huge difference in the before and after pics Nick. What a difference a simple clean makes. Great pick up.

Sure is - I used my mobile for the pics - despite the reasonable camera in it, the shots are nowhere near as good as the stand alone digital, so I will go back to that (despite how convenient the phone is). It looks nicer in the flesh than the shots suggest.

I've seen that a LOT.. mostly on Data East pins but can't say i've seen it on that style of fuse holder.

Possibly they were losing tension and getting hot i guess

Yes, Capcom fuse holders are really good, so I can't figure it out. But heat is a good thought. never mind though - got a brand new board coming from Greg at RTBB next week.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:56:26 AM by pinnies4me »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Very nice job there mate. I've never even played this title, so I look forward to playing it if it is ready by the time I'm next in Geelong !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
"Scrubbed up ok" - understatement of the week - VERY nice playfield, top work! @@*
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Looks great mate, look forward to a game  ^^^

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Re:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
Looks great

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Something that will always remind me of Greg, the new power board he gave me solved the issues after replacing the burnt coils and repairing the stripped wires.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
thats cool man, Greg wanted it to work for you , so you should be happy and have a ball for him  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Great work mate Greg would be wrapped he helped save another one

Offline Cueball

• Forum Posts:

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
As Greg would say - "nice Crapcom"  ^^^

Looks and plays well - I'm looking forward to a game next time I'm down there.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia