Author Topic: World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »

Next in the DMD Restoration / Reconditioning Queue is my Bally WCS 94. It is by far the dirtiest machine I've bought and it needs a lot of work. It does not work 100% as most of the mechanical parts have seized. The boards etc are all working, but it is not playable.

Objective

I'm hoping that the amount of dirt accumulated on this game has formed a protective barrier, and underneath this filth is a perfectly preserved machine  %.%

For some reason, I enjoy working on machines that are presented in a really filthy condition - but not a "beat" machine with damage.

Condition

Playfield - 8/10 - Absolutely filthy. All the kickouts have some wear as the plastic kickout plastic saucers are broken. Plastics are mostly broken, the soccer ball is worn and needs to be replaced. Ramps are in very good condition. Factory protectors are intact.

Cabinet - 9/10 - Really nice. No major dints or scuff marks. One siderail has a kink in it and I will replace only that rail. Door is fine, but needs to be straightened. Inside the cab is filthy and there has been some water damage near the coin box.

Electronics - 9/10 - J120 and J121 will need re pinning. Nothing major.

Let's Begin - The "Before" pictures

Notice the Red DE plunger !

I will need to locate the Gold legs - They are "somewhere" !

Did I mention this game is FILTHY !

New plastic set has been purchased. Can't fix something that's not there !

Something is growing on the pop bumper caps !

Playfield Stripped

After a couple of hours and 200 pictures, the playfield is stripped bare and the first pass of Nifti and a rag reveals a colourful playfield.

Cabinet condition

Filthy ! Believe it or not - the "goodie bag" with one spare sling plastics was intact !

Stripped, vacuumed and cleaned. Once dry, I sanded the bottom panel and sealed it with some cabot's clear which really brings out the timber finish. I will paint the black section this weekend.

A couple of large orders have been placed and I'm hoping this game will look a lot better than when I bought it !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Look forward to seeing your results mate, the cabinet looks great hardly any of the yellow has faded

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
In the nicest way Nino that PF is "disgusting" factory original in everyway but has just been somewhere for many years probally making shit loads of $$$$$$, I was fortunate to have a nice one from Marty but can't wait to see how this bad boy comes up good luck, wonder why they all have the same hard to get plastic broken.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
In the nicest way Nino that PF is "disgusting" factory original in everyway but has just been somewhere for many years probally making shit loads of $$$$$$, I was fortunate to have a nice one from Marty but can't wait to see how this bad boy comes up good luck, wonder why they all have the same hard to get plastic broken.

Peter

Lucky for me - most plastics were already broken or missing. CPR remade the plastics set (with extras) - so I was prepared to spend the extra coin on the the full set. I was also very fortunate - Marco had the soccer ball in stock a week after I started sourcing parts for this title. Even though the game looks BAD, with the new plastics set, rubber ball and the ramps being in such good condition, this game will look BADASS !

I found some Greek coins in the bottom of the cab, so it would explain why the game was in such poor condition.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
ill be watching this rebuild closely will help allot with my resto on my new wcs94. no one still has the ball in stock do they? ill just refurb mine,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »

Peter

Lucky for me - most plastics were already broken or missing. CPR remade the plastics set (with extras) - so I was prepared to spend the extra coin on the the full set. I was also very fortunate - Marco had the soccer ball in stock a week after I started sourcing parts for this title. Even though the game looks BAD, with the new plastics set, rubber ball and the ramps being in such good condition, this game will look BADASS !

I found some Greek coins in the bottom of the cab, so it would explain why the game was in such poor condition.

Yep should come up awesome as you said sometimes the dirtier the PF the better it is underneath and I reckon yours will come up a treat.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »
ill be watching this rebuild closely will help allot with my resto on my new wcs94. no one still has the ball in stock do they? ill just refurb mine,

You have to be very lucky finding a genuine replacement. This restore was dependent on the availability of the soccer ball. If yours is in good condition, then use it. If not, you might be in for a bit of a wait. As soon as I saw the replacement ball on Marco's site, I bought it. They are already "out of stock"

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=23%2D6709

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »

You have to be very lucky finding a genuine replacement. This restore was dependent on the availability of the soccer ball. If yours is in good condition, then use it. If not, you might be in for a bit of a wait. As soon as I saw the replacement ball on Marco's site, I bought it. They are already "out of stock"

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=23%2D6709

I just did some google and found one for sale on another site, all good they seem hard to find it was one left glad i saw this thread and went for a surf around

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
They are hard to find, at the time I was doing my restoration there were none available anywhere, I paid a small fortune for one to ensure I could complete the game.  I have seen a few around since, but they are still rare

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »

Big Update

Being one of the dirtiest games I've restored for a long time, I've spent hours cleaning this machine. Placed my game specific order with Marco Spec and other parts from RTBB. Everything has arrived and I can continue.

Here are some pictures of the gummed up mechanisms. Two of these assemblies were completely seized, they were effectively locked ! All mechanisms have been removed and they will be cleaned, tumbled or replaced !

The Goalie assembly. Some clown had no idea how to re-assemble this unit.

Since the game is stripped, I sanded back all the bolts / hardware on the cabinet. I repainted them and clearcoated them. No point in cleaning the cabinet and having these bolts being the point of attention !

Here are the mechanisms after being degreased, cleaned and tumbled. All the coil sleeves are replaced, and broken parts replaced. Ready to go back into the machine.

Tumbled hardware. sorted and ready to be used during reassembly. I have a few of these storage containers that I use, they come in very handy !

The cabinet is slowly re assembled. A lot nicer than it was previously  ^^^

I replaced the right hand side siderail with the good siderail from the Theater of Magic. Repainted bolts are installed. It is now a very clean cabinet, and the artwork looks great !

<.> <.>

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
You missed a spot. &&

I'm surprised you could find anything you needed at Marco. Just out of curiosity I did a search on their site and 95% or so of the parts that come up for that game are either out of stock or "due in December" or something. Hopefully you have a better source too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:18:07 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »
You missed a spot. &&

I'm surprised you could find anything you needed at Marco. Just out of curiosity I did a search on their site and 95% or so of the parts that come up for that game are either out of stock or "due in December" or something. Hopefully you have a better source too.

Yup - I waited until the soccer Ball was in stock and ordered that day. The plastics originally come from CPR, but they were the same price at Marco. The "goodie bag" had a NOS Goalie decal. RTBB had most of the teal parts - lane guides, skirts bumper caps.

I rarely order from Marco. The box I received the package in was 5.5 lbs of packing box and packing) and was EASILY 5 times the size that was needed. Postage and packaging is an absolute ripoff. That's a "last resort" supplier for me. Also the box was "lost" during transit, and when it arrived, it looked like someone had played soccer with it.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
looks great mate nice work

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)