Author Topic: Playfield cleaning products  (Read 532 times)

Offline michael77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Playfield cleaning products
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »
1. what will work to clean and protect the playfield? , I am thinking car polish.

2. playfield plastics ? , i am thinking windex

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Playfield cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
1. what will work to clean and protect the playfield? , I am thinking car polish.

2. playfield plastics ? , i am thinking windex

Get yourself a novus 3 in 1 pack.
heavy scratch remover
light scratch remover
plastic cleaner

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »
Initial clean - Citrus Orange Cleaner or Eucalyptus Oil
Then Novus 2 using Magic Eraser (Dont rub too hard)
Finally polish with Carnauba wax .
Based on a non mylared playfield.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

Nifti and a rag - Nifti is hard to locate. Sometimes Coles has them, but last time my missus found them at the $2 shop - for $2 - and she bought a dozen of them. Yesterday, she found them at Coles and bought 10.

Optional - Magic Eraser and Isoprophyl alcohol. Use on EMs or SS machines without mylar.

Novus 2 - Excellent to clean after using nifti

Meguiars Yellow Carnuba paste wax. Make sure it is a paste wax - not liquid. Found at auto stores.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
 sugar soap mixture with magic eraser ( gentle) or micro fibre cloth... dont use on aprons. Wipe off as you go with a clean cloth.
Then Maguires polishing wax and buff off when dry

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »
Step 1.
After trying everything under the sun to clean playfields etc, I find "baby bum wipes" are excellent in cleaning anything pinball.
(wont hurt a babys bum and cleans up any nasty shit very well, no pun intended)  *)* *)* so they will not hurt your playfield at all. When everything is as clean as u can get it, the bum wipes stay white instead of turning black/brown.

Step 2.
For plastics and ramps, I find "Gumption" kicks ass better than anything else on the market. Doesnt leave scratches etc, and makes things like brand new.

Step 3.
Last but not least, is Mills Wax for the playfield with the Ttreasure Cove detailing kit. I dont use their polish's much, but find Mills Wax is better than anything Novus.
The spinning drill attacments work very well. All the treasure cove head attachments/sizes are great for any playfield requirements. I have used Mills Wax for over 3 years on over 30 machines, all different manufacturers etc, and never ever had an issue. Some people say Carnuba Wax etc, but the shine the Mills Wax gives is T'Riffic.

NOTE -Some people dont like Mills Wax because it is supposedly petroleum based, but every polish has something strong in it. I have even left Mills Wax on very very thick on a test playfield over night and not had an issue. (not that i reccommend that on any playfield, but it was just a test). You can then wipe baby bum wipes over the entire playfield after the waxing to remove any excess cleaners etc, so u dont get any white powdery dust being left behind.

I say Keep it simple. Happy Cleaning.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »

"Last but not least, is Mills Wax for the playfield with the Ttreasure Cove detailing kit. I dont use their polish's much, but find Mills Wax is better than anything Novus."

Mills Wax and the Treasurecove polishing kit are different products. The Treasurecove kit is the best product on the market. I used Mills Wax once, and within 10 games all the new white rubbers were filthy. Novus is more of a cleaning product than a final polish. Mills Wax is a final polish - but no where near the quality of Paste Wax or the finish of a Treasurecove kit.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
For those interested, the Treasure Cove polishing kit is simply a pre-existing car polishing/cutting compound poured into a smaller bottle for a higher price per volume.  @@*

Treasure Cove kit in 8 ounce bottles with white, pink, grey compound:

Original product in 256 ounce bottles with white pink, grey compound:
http://www.topoftheline.com/hi-temp-polishes-levelers-compounds.html

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
LOl- i used to sell a PF cleaning kit on Ebay a few years back... i bought bulk car cleaning fluid and also wax.. repackaged it, added an application cloth and buffer cloth, plus some mirror finish balls to seal the deal... worked an absolute treat and sold quite a few!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »

"Last but not least, is Mills Wax for the playfield with the Ttreasure Cove detailing kit. I dont use their polish's much, but find Mills Wax is better than anything Novus."

Mills Wax and the Treasurecove polishing kit are different products. The Treasurecove kit is the best product on the market. I used Mills Wax once, and within 10 games all the new white rubbers were filthy. Novus is more of a cleaning product than a final polish. Mills Wax is a final polish - but no where near the quality of Paste Wax or the finish of a Treasurecove kit.

What i meant Nino, was that i use the Treasure Cove kit (meaning the foam attachments and drill attachments) but i DONT use their polish, because i didnt know where it really came from etc. I understand Mills Wax is Mills Wax ofcourse and not anything to do with Treasure Cove etc. Luckily, everyone of my pinball purchases has produced playfields in such great condition that Mills Wax is A+++ to do all I need etc. If i bought a really old n grotty pin, I might look at Novus if I couldnt get the desired effect using my baby bum wipes plus mills wax etc.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
Just to clarify, I wasn't implying there is anything wrong with the TC polishing kit, but since it is just a regular car polishing compound, I am sure you could find an alternative product from any local SuperCheap/car accessory outlet which would work just as well.

^^^

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
Is this the wax you guys recommend. Just going out today to pick some up

http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car-care/paint-care/polish-protect/hi-tech-yellow-wax/

Also, out of interest, ,there are so many products and so many different ways of doing things when it comes to cleaning. There doesn't seem to be a clay's guide on cleaning for instance, but when it comes to repairs there is.

Why doesn't everyone clean using the same tools. We all repair using the same tools and procedures. Why don't we do this with cleaning?
.....something witty here

Offline rocky_pinball

• Forum Posts:
  • ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCCKKKYYYYY BAAAAAAAABBBBOA
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA thats the same wax i use on my car  %.% Does a dam good job on her so i guess it would on a playfeild, might have to give it a go  *%*

Is this the wax you guys recommend. Just going out today to pick some up

http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car-care/paint-care/polish-protect/hi-tech-yellow-wax/

Also, out of interest, ,there are so many products and so many different ways of doing things when it comes to cleaning. There doesn't seem to be a clay's guide on cleaning for instance, but when it comes to repairs there is.

Why doesn't everyone clean using the same tools. We all repair using the same tools and procedures. Why don't we do this with cleaning?

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Has anyone been able to buy the drill polishing attachments in OZ