Author Topic: World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration  (Read 5308 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
Looks heaps better Nino  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »
Hi Nino   I can see why you take so many pics  and I like how you sort screws into box for re-assembling   

it is cleaning up really well    you must but many hrs into your resto and  get great satisfaction at   the end   Nice work           Howzat 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:46 PM »
Hi Nino   I can see why you take so many pics  and I like how you sort screws into box for re-assembling   

it is cleaning up really well    you must but many hrs into your resto and  get great satisfaction at   the end   Nice work           Howzat 

Most pictures are not as interesting as the ones I post. There are pictures of each individual section with the caliper in the background to record the size of the screws / posts / parts.  I refer back to them all the time. It sounds difficult, but once you have a routine going, it is simple to follow. I get A LOT of satisfaction from doing it - and I don't care for the title - just the journey from a filthy pinball to a clean pinball worthy of a gamesroom.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »

Playfield cleanup

Always fun to tackle a filthy playfield, and this one was a challenge. Under the dirt and filth is a really nice playfield. There's a lot of cleaning, polishing and waxing, but it was worth every minute.

Sometimes its the "small things" that separate a "shop out" to a restoration. I replaced all the rollovers because they were filthy, worn and broken.

All the metal guides are cleaned and regrained, one was sent off to MartyJ for repair. The pop bumpers are rebuilt, and I'm experimenting with Cliffy post rubbers from RTBB. I've decided not to use LEDs on this title.

^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »

More Playfield

I can now re populate the playfield, both bottom and top. I've chosen to use a new plastics set from CPR, as the old plastics were demolished. Half way through, I decided I'd like to install a FULL SET of Cliffys  ^^^ via RTBB. This will be the "finishing touch" and ensure the game will always be in top condition.

Here's the underside of the playfield - everything is cleaned and rebuilt ;

Not shortcuts - All parts cleaned, inspected, replaced etc !

New parts - Plastics set, stand up targets, posts, rubbers, globes, soccer ball, pop bumpers and cliffy post rubbers in final positions.

Here's a BEFORE picture of the pop bumpers ;

.. and the AFTER picture

Some playfield bling !

Plastics and rivets ! I simply drill out the parts I need and replace the rivets. Very easy to do if you have a rivet press. Here's the old plastics ;

and the new plastics with rivets.

Plenty more update to come - just waiting on the cliffy protector set to arrive before proceeding !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »
Shiny!

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 09:39:35 AM »
You missed a spot...
 !^!
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
looks great, the new soccer balls really make or break it hey?, exy little bastards though

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »
looks great, the new soccer balls really make or break it hey?, exy little bastards though

Definitely. I waited and waited for the ball to be reproduced. Luckily, the ramps are in good condition but the plastics were crap. The ball is the "centerpiece" of the game - it HAS to be replaced.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
Very nice Nino top job just love the before and after shots simply amazing clean up ^^^

Peter

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
Great before and after shot of the bumper area Nino not a very sought after title but once you have finished weaving your magic this game will be very sought after ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
Looks great Nino  ^^^ . Keeping up your usual standards I see.

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Looks fantastic mate  ^^^

It is ridiculous the amount we have to pay for a piece of rubber, supply and demand unfortunately  *!@
You just have to have a new one to restore a WCS, I still hate thinking how much I paid for mine, but I could not find one anywhere else at the time, it was the single most expensive part I have ever purchased for a pinball machine  @.@

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
Hey Nino, can I offer you a tip before you put all your ramps on; the left and right 'free kick' kickouts use a piece of metal bent up at a 45 deg angle, these constantly came loose after my restoration, and really started pissing me off.  They are a real pain to tighten back up when the ramps are covering them, they would come loose after a few games and I would have ended up with damaged plastics if I hadnt used protectors.

To solve the problem, I ended up drilling right through the PF and installing long bolts and locknuts, haven't had a problem since.

I know the thought of drilling through the PF is not the best, but when they loosen off and a ball hits them they deflect off and start rubbing the artwork off the plastics above them.  My original plastic had a big crater from where it had been happening over the years.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
Looks fantastic mate  ^^^

It is ridiculous the amount we have to pay for a piece of rubber, supply and demand unfortunately  *!@
You just have to have a new one to restore a WCS, I still hate thinking how much I paid for mine, but I could not find one anywhere else at the time, it was the single most expensive part I have ever purchased for a pinball machine  @.@

I was lucky - I bought mine from Overseas, and half the price of local sellers. You DO need to be quick.

Hey Nino, can I offer you a tip before you put all your ramps on; the left and right 'free kick' kickouts use a piece of metal bent up at a 45 deg angle, these constantly came loose after my restoration, and really started pissing me off.  They are a real pain to tighten back up when the ramps are covering them, they would come loose after a few games and I would have ended up with damaged plastics if I hadnt used protectors.

To solve the problem, I ended up drilling right through the PF and installing long bolts and locknuts, haven't had a problem since.

I know the thought of drilling through the PF is not the best, but when they loosen off and a ball hits them they deflect off and start rubbing the artwork off the plastics above them.  My original plastic had a big crater from where it had been happening over the years.

Thanks for the tip, Matt. I'm waiting for the Cliffys (full set) from Greg. When it arrives, I'll follow your recommendation  ^^^