Author Topic: World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration  (Read 5311 times)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: World Cup Soccer 94 Restoration
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 04:45:12 AM »
How has your luck been with the repro plastics? Mine are from the 'first' CPR run, and I've been told they are made out of a different material than they were originally, and they may be brittle?

My WCS is still in the project queue, is made up from parts from 2 different WCS machines! Can't wait to get to it!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »
How has your luck been with the repro plastics? Mine are from the 'first' CPR run, and I've been told they are made out of a different material than they were originally, and they may be brittle?

My WCS is still in the project queue, is made up from parts from 2 different WCS machines! Can't wait to get to it!

I thought they settled on PETG 2-3 years ago ?

Mine are stunning - except I had to elongate some holes on the large left hand side plastic that starts at the ramp and finishes behind the Goalie. There was at least three holes I had to elongate. They were not even close to the original. Took me 5 minutes.

I was able to install the new rivets without any dramas. I assumed it was PETG so I used a lot of force. If they were acrylic, they might have fractured.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
it would only be the plating holding you up now wouldnt it nino? this machine is going to look awesome when done mate

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
Mine are from the first run, and I bet I've had them for 3+ years, so who knows what they are made of :)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
it would only be the plating holding you up now wouldnt it nino? this machine is going to look awesome when done mate

Basically I have to refit the ramps and start testing the game. I have to shoot you a plastic (God I'm slack) as well - I have it here on my desk  !@)

Mine are from the first run, and I bet I've had them for 3+ years, so who knows what they are made of :)

Was there a "first run" ? Are you sure CPR have done two runs ? I'm a CPR fanboi and I don't recall an initial run  !@#

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
The initial run was done under the table :) And a private run was done under the table by a US collector *before* CPR even existed, from what I understand :)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
The initial run was done under the table :) And a private run was done under the table by a US collector *before* CPR even existed, from what I understand :)

That makes sense John. CPR were using acrylic and they were breaking too easily. I think one of my Flight 2000 plastic set are acrylic. The PETG are the standard that CPR use.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »

More parts have arrived, so I've been busy on this restoration. As mentioned on the other thread, I've had the main ramp GOLD plated, and I chose to polish the repaired coin toss assembly (Thanks MartyJ !)

Coin Toss Assembly was a real surprise - the exposed areas polished up VERY well. The wear on the inside is not seen. I think the idea of BRASS plating or CHROME plating this assembly would have been the only options. GOLD plating would have cost too much and there was no guarantee that the inside of the assembly would plate well. I'm more than happy with the results.

I ordered the FULL Cfiffy Set from RTBB. It is SO MUCH easier to install Cliffy's than attempt the repairs, touch ups and clearcoat. I also installed a cliffy for the ball drop area next to the Coin Toss Assembly. Here's what you get in the full cliffy set ;

Cliffy posts and protectors on the right hand side of the playfield

Top Left hand side. Now theres a "mod" that I had to do for the two large posts (with Green Cliffys) - The posts had been over tightened by the previous owner, and the diameter of the playfield holes was slightly larger. This caused a problem with the green post rubbers being "compressed", and it would also (potentially) buckle the cliffy protector. So I installed a washer in-between the post and the Cliffy. This worked really well.

I took Matt's advice regarding the potential to break the plastics around the ball deflectors. I simply drilled through the playfield and fitted a bolt and nut. There's no way the defectors can become loose and break the plastics - great advice, Matt  ^^^

Lower Ramp is installed. I have to repair the top ramp - that will be in the next update ! Here is a progress picture - my apologies for the lack of focus !

^^^

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
Nice work mate, it's definately much easier to put the bolts through now before you install the ball lock PF and all the ramps that go over the areas.  Without them the screws would have definately came loose at some stage and are a real pain to tighten and you have to hope you notice them before they destroy the artwork on the bottom of the plastics.  ^^^

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
that looks great, very nice work indeed, i love the Cliffy's, i never known about them till this thread, what was the price for them? i might do that to mine, i dont have to much wear but they look good and would protect very nice, this thread has given me many ideas thank you

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
that looks great, very nice work indeed, i love the Cliffy's, i never known about them till this thread, what was the price for them? i might do that to mine, i dont have to much wear but they look good and would protect very nice, this thread has given me many ideas thank you

PM Greg at RTBB - I know he bought in a few sets. Can't remember how much I paid for them - I just order what I want and work it out later ! He also has the cliffys for the lane switch area - you can "just" see it in the first picture.

Your part in in the mail - sorry for the delay - I'm slack !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

PM Greg at RTBB - I know he bought in a few sets. Can't remember how much I paid for them - I just order what I want and work it out later ! He also has the cliffys for the lane switch area - you can "just" see it in the first picture.

Your part in in the mail - sorry for the delay - I'm slack !

oh thank you, also no drama on delay, cheers pm me with how much i owe you also,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »
That machine looks Excellent Nino. Well done. Nice colours on that playfield. Definately looks like new now.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys  *%*

Unfortunately, PinballInc have not remade the ramp set for this title, otherwise, I would have installed them. Lucky for me, they are in reasonable condition and they cleaned up well. Both needed some repairs and I guess the good thing about these ramps is the factory protectors - so there's no damage at all to the ramp entrance on either ramp.

The lower ramp was fine and needed no work.

The upper ramp needed some work around the diverter assembly. The hole that the diverter arm is fitted was badly damaged as seen in this first picture ;

I had some plastic washers that were a perfect fit. So I glued one washer to the top of the ramp and one underneath. This ensures that the diverter arm is steady. I will fit extra washers to raise the diverter assembly so it does not scratch the ramp.

The Upper right hand side ramp had a crack in it. I simply glued the crack, and then made a plastic reinforcement that I will place under the ramp bracket. I won't glue it as the repaired area will lose its transparency. Here's the plastic I used ;

I shaped the plastic just a little bit bigger than the cracked area ;

I'll use a longer machine screw. I also bought a new support post as the original was threaded with a large wood screw  !@#

All that is left is the clearcoat for the gold plated ramp. I switched the game on to test and everything seems to be OK  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »

Door Repaint

The door was in fairly good condition, but I will repaint it. It has some rust under the paint that will have to be sanded out, treated and then I'll paint the entire door with a semi gloss black.

Here's the door before repainting. You can see some rust in the center section.

I also repaint the carriage bolts. They are usually a flat or matt black, but I like to refinish them in a semi gloss and the clearcoat them.

This is the finished door installed in to the game. I think this is often overlooked on machines, and I've come across a few "reconditioned" games where the black paint has been sprayed right over the existing dirt, rust and old paint.

Ramp Repairs

The upper ramp was repaired by gluing two plastic washers on either side of the broken section. Now that it is set, I can raise the actuator arm, thus raising the diverter off the ramp (so it does not scrape). I've simply used plastic washers. It works very well.

Let's PLAY !

Next step is to install the replated GOLD ramp and test the machine. All the boards have been rebuild previously, so I know the game will be working 100% (electronically).

Gold Ramp looks great

Some instruction cards finish off the apron nicely

So at this point, I'm going to test the machine before I deliver it to its new owner. I have not fitted the GOLD legbolts or leg levellers yet as I don't want to scratch them ! So there will be one more photo after this update in the owner's gamesroom !

Fun game to play  :D