Author Topic: Charlies Angels Restoration  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Re: Charlies Angels Restoration
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »
:D Nice looking playfield mate. Looks like you may need a bigger house!

Well I just lost my job, company gone in to Voluntary Administration. So I might have to sell one! Wish I could make an income from this... !@#

Brettski... :)

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that Brett. Stay positive mate and hopefully something good comes out of it. Would be a shame to have to sell a machine after all the work gone into them.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
Great work so far ! That playfield looks fantastic .

I played one of these last year for the 1st time in about 30 years and it was great fun .

Will be watching your progress with interest .

I have to repin all connectors on my Playboy too.

Hard to believe these games are turning 40 the year after next. Where has that time gone?
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
Sorry to hear about your job
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 12:41:22 AM »
Thanks guy's appreciate it!

Ok now I have a serious problem, I connected the boards back up in the back box after having it removed for playfield work and She Blew Up!! ^&^

First thing as I powered it up it seemed not all lights were on and the right flipper coil locked on. I turned it off and turned it back on and all seemed good, I started a game and the right flipper didn't work. Then tried the pop bumpers and they were locking on. Turned off and checked switches under the playfield for the pop bumpers and all seemed good, turned it back on and Boom, it blew the 5amp Primary Fuse and the circuit breaker went on the house. So now I am not sure where to start, what is likely to be the culprit here and where should I start?

This machine does not have the ground mods done yet, is it possible this has something to do with it?

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
I would say you have multiple problems,
Pop bumpers on system 1 s are only activated via pop bumper switches.
Flipper is activated by the side flipper switch.
Check side flipper switches for damage or broken wires.

Also double check you have the connectors on the right way round, at the board end.

Lights out gi or controlled
You may have a short circuit between the lamps and solenoid wiring

Donot power on til you double check all these.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
I would say you have multiple problems,
Pop bumpers on system 1 s are only activated via pop bumper switches.
Flipper is activated by the side flipper switch.
Check side flipper switches for damage or broken wires.

Also double check you have the connectors on the right way round, at the board end.

Lights out gi or controlled
You may have a short circuit between the lamps and solenoid wiring

Donot power on til you double check all these.

Ok it looks like I had not insulated the lamp holder in one of the pop bumpers well enough and it has shorted against the bracket. I will tidy this up first give everything a thorough inspection and try again.

Thanks Riverina! :)

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:27 AM »
Ok that seemed to do it except when you start a game the ball kicker kicks the ball out but when it drains it doesn't seem to register. Obviously the coil is working but I have checked the switch and cleaned it but still nothing. Any ideas here? I must admit the board is cactus and I am just limping it along at the moment until I get a new one but it was working. Once I was satisfied everything is ok I plan on installing the 4 in 1 board that I have in Cleopatra to try it out. Any ideas on the kicker much appreciated.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 02:34:04 AM »
Well I wriggled some wires and it all came good, just bad connectors it seems which I will sort out.

Ok time to move forward on this project!. :)

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »
I have been re pining all the connectors and have come across some greeny bluey gunk in some of the connectors that I can only assume is corrosion from the battery leak that it no doubt had at some stage. This is ok  to clean up while re pinning but at least one of the wires seems to have it a fair way through it. I have traced it to one of the bonus lights and it doesn't appear at the other end but I am thinking I might as well replace the whole wire. Here is a pic of a connector with the greeny gunk. What are your thoughts / experiences in this situation.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »
I've had this before on quite a few connectors I've redone. Can't remember exactly what it is but it's not corrosion. I think it was used to aid the connection of a suspect connector pin? Hopefully someone who knows better than me will chime in with exactly what this substance is but the important thing is there no need to replace the whole wire. Just repin as you're doing with the rest of the wires.   ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 10:15:55 AM »
It does not look like corrosion. Corrosion is dry, not wet. That looks like some sort of cleaner ?

Maybe repin the entire connector, use the isoprophyl alcohol from Jaycar - the one in the compressed cans - they work really well to clean up connectors.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 11:17:32 AM »
I've had this before on quite a few connectors I've redone. Can't remember exactly what it is but it's not corrosion. I think it was used to aid the connection of a suspect connector pin? Hopefully someone who knows better than me will chime in with exactly what this substance is but the important thing is there no need to replace the whole wire. Just repin as you're doing with the rest of the wires.   ^^^

I have seen that stuff too and I think it is exactly what you said, a type of anti-corrosion and pro-conductivity fluid

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
Thanks guy's much appreciated!

Now for my next Trick!... I re pinned all the connectors and now when I turn it on All the CPU controlled Solenoids lock on. I have checked over all the connectors and compared with my pics I took and all looks good. I am about to go over the connectors again but thought I would put it out there in case someone could point me in the right direction. The CPU board is faulty but operational. everything works but displays are garbled but was ok for testing with (well I thought). I will be replacing it with a Pascal board but just wanted to get everything working first.
Is this likely to be a connector issue or is it likely to be in a board?

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »
Hi Brett

I have seen this goo oozing from electrical PVC control cables from the 80's. This is what I have found on the subject. I like how they put the cancer bit at the end!

"The Electrical Safety Office has investigated the possible safety issues of a green oily substance exuded by some thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cables. The results were that:
- The affected cables are V60 and V75 type PVC insulated and sheathed cables.

- The substance is a plasticiser used in the manufacture of the cable.

-The release of the substance is initiated and exacerbated by high ambient temperatures such as can be found in ceiling spaces and in hotter climates.

- The substance is not conductive and therefore not liable to electrical tracking.

- The presence of the substance will not alter the flame propagation characteristics of the cable.

- The presence of the substance does not necessitate replacement of the cable.

-Cables should be assessed for replacement only when insulation tests reveal failure or when cracking of the insulation becomes apparent.

- The green exudate is mildly toxic and can cause burning and irritation, especially to mucous membranes such as in the eyes, nose and mouth.

- There has been no epidemiological link established with cancer in humans."