Author Topic: Ego couriers - quotes for pinball shipping  (Read 1143 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
Ego couriers - quotes for pinball shipping
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
I'm looking to get a pin shipped from Melbourne to Canberra (depot to depot) and the price seems to have jumped quite a bit since I last used them.

As a comparison,  the last pin I shipped from Brisbane to Canberra (in 2012) was $237, but entering the same details, now comes out at around $397.

I'm using the following details:
Pallet, 125 L x 125 W x 145 H, 125kg

Is this the same sort of details that others are using?
Has anyone else found the prices have risen?

Cheers

Andy

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
Re: Ego couriers - quotes for pinball shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »
I'm looking to get a pin shipped from Melbourne to Canberra (depot to depot) and the price seems to have jumped quite a bit since I last used them.

As a comparison,  the last pin I shipped from Brisbane to Canberra (in 2012) was $237, but entering the same details, now comes out at around $397.

I'm using the following details:
Pallet, 125 L x 125 W x 145 H, 125kg

Is this the same sort of details that others are using?
Has anyone else found the prices have risen?

Cheers

Andy

Yeah, you no longer get a 25% discount for depot dropoff or collection they have dropped the discount to 15%
Where you used to get 50% discount for depot to depot you now only get 30% on top of that I think there has been a price rise too particularly with small parcels.

Be careful how you pack the machine because only the cube size matters

For example packing a machine on it's end on a pallet makes the cube size is bigger even though the floor space is smaller in the truck.
Pack a machine on a pallet horizontal on its base and the cube size is smaller and you pay less even though it takes up more floor space in the truck.
Crazy system.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
It is mainly because of the way the holds of their trucks are setup as rack style packing. Most of the front section of the trailer is allocated to items with a maximum height restriction.

Any items calculated and palleted vertically (fridges, pinball machines) are limited as to where in the truck hold it can be loaded.

Pack it so that it lays on its base flat, and adjust the height calculations accordingly.

That should get the quoted cost down.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:40:21 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
I think E-Go had a crackdown on "large bulky items" as either the weight or dimensions were seldom correctly stated. I know a few customers that sent games but had to pay extra before the depot would release the game. That's why I insist on Neway or Furniture Removalists.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
I think E-Go had a crackdown on "large bulky items" as either the weight or dimensions were seldom correctly stated. I know a few customers that sent games but had to pay extra before the depot would release the game. That's why I insist on Neway or Furniture Removalists.

I had a couple of freight adjustments like that with them.
One where they damaged the machine and then charged me extra freight because when it went through the machine it measured the broken bit hanging out as extra size.
So effectively they damaged my machine and then tried to charge me for it.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

It seems that if I did ship it flat on its base - rather than on it's end, it drops down to around $195 - $215. Only problem will be the sender locating a skid that is 1.4m long, and 0.85m 'ish wide.

A standard Aussie pallet at 1.125m x 1.125m will give me a bit of over hang and most likely a target for a forklift @.@

Cheers,

Andy

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »
Ego are a rip off
Im personally done with all the big companies.

Try truckit.net ^^^

Get a bunch of smaller courier companies to compete on price and service for your business.

I got put onto this service about a year ago, and I wwouldnt go back to Ego or the bigger guys.

I ship all my big items this way because you get these guys to pick up from your door when you want them to,
and drop off to the person when it suit them.

They use a Feedback system so the drivers are better than any big company seeing their reputation is always on the line.
The companies who are bidding on your business have to be insured and you can tell them the insurable amount of your item when listing so then your item is covered.
its not like some couriers where you have to pay insurance, all these operators must offer the insurance.

here is their video explaining it. it is easy and you will save a crazy amount of money on big item shipping and get better service especially from owner driver companies.

&feature=player_embedded

Ps im not associated with this website. It is just an amazing service.

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
You can get narrow ones but the machine ends will still hang off, make sure you insure the hell out of it

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »
You'll get charged for the extra overhang.
 Last pin I shipped with Ego I put in the correct dimensions and then got stung extra as they had calculated it differently and then I got stung again for over $100 for the driver to have to help unload. This is after I had ticked that driver would have to help. The pin was a woodrail and so the pallet was much lighter than a normal pin. Just to add though that all charges were taken direct from my credit card ( typed in at payment) and some weeks after delivery.
I wont be using Ego again.

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

Ego are a rip off
Im personally done with all the big companies.

Try truckit.net ^^^

Get a bunch of smaller courier companies to compete on price and service for your business.

I got put onto this service about a year ago, and I wouldnt go back to Ego or any of the bigger guys.

I ship all my big items this way because Its cheaper and easier to organize.

You get these guys to pick up from your door when you want them to,
and drop off to the person when it suit them.

The website uses a Feedback system so the drivers Go out of their way to keep you happy seeing their reputation is always on the line.
Most are owner Driver style companies so they care about their feedback more than some employee working for a the big guys

Another thing the companies who are bidding on your business have to be insured and you can tell them the insurable amount of your item when listing so then your item is covered.
its not like some couriers where you have to pay insurance, all these operators must offer the insurance.

here is their video explaining it. it is easy and you will save a crazy amount of money on big item shipping and get better service especially from owner driver companies.

&feature=player_embedded

Ps im not associated with this website. It is just an amazing service.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »
Only had good experiences with e-go after numerous transporting to and from me over the years.

I have always sent and received machines on thier base, overhanging a standard pallet, never had any damage depot to depot and has been pretty quick. Way cheaper than anyone else (even with their reduced discount now)

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Only had good experiences with e-go after numerous transporting to and from me over the years.

I have always sent and received machines on thier base, overhanging a standard pallet, never had any damage depot to depot and has been pretty quick. Way cheaper than anyone else (even with their reduced discount now)

Same for me even though I have had a couple of claims, but the claims more than compensated for the loss

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »

+1
I have used E-go quite a bit as well this way and never had a problem.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »

+1
I have used E-go quite a bit as well this way and never had a problem.

Yes no issues here either just be honest and pack well and you shouldn't have any issues :)