Author Topic: Absolute drought of good machines for sale...  (Read 996 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Absolute drought of good machines for sale...
« on: May 15, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
Well I've seen this topic come up from time to time, mainly amazement at the price trajectory of DMDs, & it seems more than ever that recently the supply is very low, & when the A-list or B-list machines are available the prices are now way out there. I can't understand why this is happening - especially with some people buying the new Sterns. Don't these buyers need to make space by flipping an old machine? What do people think is going on? Are people holding onto the "better" games tightly as they want to eventually cash in on any further price increases? Has the high Stern pricing made the good dmds look like a bargain comparatively? Have the container imports stopped altogether?
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Absolute drought of good machines for sale...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
Most container imports stopped 3 to 4 years ago.

There was a Massive glut of machines coming in container wise for Apx 4 year period.
Most machines were half price easily compared to today. Many people bought as many as they could whilst the sun was shining. Now demand is still high, supply is low. People know if they sell a machine now they might get a high dollar but they have to buy back in at a high dollar.

Stern pricing being 6500 or 7950 has little to do with it.
People have been building collections for years and find it hard to part with their toys.
The prices today are crazy for people like me who collected when every man n his dog had a container full to sell and prices were awesome and you could pick the best or take on any project you wanted from a container on display in a warehouse or large shed, be it Qld or NSW or VIC or Adelaide.

Back then, I could fly to Adelaide, but some machines, send them back to Qld and after pallet ing n sending n airfares, the prices were still so very low.
Most of the Qld sellers were 30 to 40 percent cheaper than anywhere else cause the importers had 4 containers a year lined up and everything that arrived in Jan had to be SOLD within 3 months max cause the next container was arriving and there was no floor space. Out the door they would go, at bargain basement prices.

Those who were cashed up were lucky to get bargains galore.
Now, u have to search like Scherlock Holmes to find a machine for sale at the right price.

But cash swears in all languages, see all the commercial sellers cause cash is always in demand ! Maybe grab that bargain.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
The container imports have slowed down dramatically for a number of reasons. Mainly, the greed of dealers who ironically, blame the private importers for driving up the supplier prices.

The reason prices have gone up is due to greed. Container prices since 2008 have doubled. To this day, you will still see sellers list container pins at stupid prices. No educated person is stupid enough these days, but sometimes a fish will be hooked by the sales pitch. Suppliers overseas see these eBay ads etc, and as a result, doubled the supplier price.

There are still hundreds of games overseas. But the prices have been driven up. There are only a handful importing them. I have 80 sitting in a warehouse overseas - I just don't have the room here. Since January, at least 300 have been offered to me. The usual scare tactics of "the supply is drying up" causes some to panic buy, and then magically another 100 turn up.

There is no drought of pinball machines for sale. There are tons of them, but the issue is that dealers won't drop their prices because they want their 2008 profit margins. Then they complain business is slow and that they are getting out of selling pinballs. I hear this almost weekly. Funny to hear !

Machines are not leaving home collections like they used to because they are holding on to grail games they bought years ago. If you sold a collection bought in 2008, the profit on that sale would not be great, so flipping is not the answer.

Having said that, in the last week alone, I've been offered 5-6 games that need to be sold to pay for KISS LEs and Premiums. Same happened with AC/DC. So expect private machines to be moved on in the next few months.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
Andypinboy, they are for sale and at reasonable prices
they are listed in the super secret sales section that you can access after 1000 posts and 100 bottle caps sent to the admins

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
they are listed in the super secret sales section that you can access after 1000 posts and 100 bottle caps sent to the admins
shhhhhhh! its a secret - SHUT UP!  &&
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:39:49 PM »

Don't think I'll be joining the stonemason's chapter of AP  *.*  Sounds like it's the dealers, & even if not they deserve some stick anyway due to their lack of principles. Oh well, $20k burning a hole in my pocket for 4 or 5 machines & nothing much around - it is what it is.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
There's a DE Batman for $5k in Liverpool. Apparently "very rare", "wont find another". %$%

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 06:50:25 PM »

Don't think I'll be joining the stonemason's chapter of AP  *.*  Sounds like it's the dealers, & even if not they deserve some stick anyway due to their lack of principles. Oh well, $20k burning a hole in my pocket for 4 or 5 machines & nothing much around - it is what it is.
Don’t be in a hurry
Having a ‘Must buy’ attitude usually ends by paying too much for the wrong game

If I had that much cash to spend I would consider buying the new KISS game
Unless the game is a complete dud, it will not loose money fast

Everybody needs a NIB once in there pinball life

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
Thanks Pete but I have 4 spaces & some pins I just have to have!! The money doesn't matter - but if I did worry about losing a bit on pins I'd be more worried about the depreciation on a new Stern (look at ac/dc - & I love the band). I buy expensive cars but I've only ever bought 1 new car in my life - great way to lose cash buying new.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
List what pins u are chasing, maybe some members can help ?

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »
Ok, already posted in WTB but interested in: GnR, Getaway HS2, Dirty Harry, Indianapolis 500, T2.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:58 AM »
List what pins u are chasing, maybe some members can help ?

You wouldn't be interesting in selling one of yours for a very very fair sum would you Cave?? Dirty Harry? Whatever are you going to do with your 50 or 100 or 200 pins? If I took your Dirty Harry off your hands you'd be a long way towards the Kiss pro  &&

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 01:09:53 AM »
It's not 200 or 100, but it is over 50. All working n great nick DMD and a few SS etc.
I was lucky when work was great n containers coming in were huge in numbers when pricing was very low. Still the work of an addicted obsessed collector to buy them all at the time. Lol

Got $ stuck aside for KISS but had a Dirty Harry which was on your list that thought might be worth selling ?
Always hard to sell stuff u get attached to but always worth asking via PM.

Offline mitchjjam

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
Has anyone noticed the trend in older em pins. Seems so many being advertised. Is it because no others are available? Unfortunately whenever you buy a second hand or even new pinball you have to do some repair work or adjustments. The old the more work and money. So buying too high is a waste.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Has anyone noticed the trend in older em pins. Seems so many being advertised. Is it because no others are available? Unfortunately whenever you buy a second hand or even new pinball you have to do some repair work or adjustments. The old the more work and money. So buying too high is a waste.

%)% to AP  ^^^

Usually, private sellers moving on their EMs will sell you a working game. They would more than likely be hobbyists that have enough knowledge to maintain their machines. In the last 4-6 years, the market has been flooded with project games that are complete junk. Many of these games were sold on eBay, and then are re listed by the new owners once they find out that the game is a basket case. I've had quite a few of these in my workshop, and they needed a lot of work. Some were advertised as having minor issues, but the truth is, the buyer was expecting an easy fix, and then would be playing the game. Many newbies were burnt, and as a result, lost interest in the machines and move them on.

A reconditioned 4 player EM should be no more than $2000. The average would be $1600 - $1800.
A restored 4 player EM would start at $2200.

Unless you are looking for a Captain Fantastic, Fireball or Mermaid, you should find a bargain easily enough.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia