Author Topic: Top ten "glued to the floor" (can't sell) pins back in 2012  (Read 1254 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Thought some AP members might find this interesting - list put forward by David Stein in 2012 - he called it the "glued to the floor" list , a list of games which won't sell:

Godzilla
Barb Wire
Whodunit?
Star Wars Episode 1
Wheel of Fortune
Johnny Mnemonic
The Rolling Stones (Stern)
Waterworld
Cactus Jack

I assume it's been updated each year since - but found it interesting to look back & see how the market has changed or not changed (admittedly, from one man's view). I've seen people this year wtb Star Wars ep 1 & JM. The rest of the list probably is still fair. Cheers, Andy.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Everything apart from JM would still be on that list today IMHO.  Most of them would have been the dregs or container fill back in those days.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:54:44 PM »
I liked and miss my Cactus Jack played far worse pins IMHO

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Godzilla only 500 made.
Would never sell mine.
Prob less than 12 in Australia. Rarely sold in Japan. Highly collectable.
Dealers in Aust wanted far too much for the rare title. So some did sit.

Star Wars Ep 1 was very visual and easier to play compared to Revenge from Mars.
Prices again in 2012 were too high plus the collapse of the Pin2000 replacement computers made this machine much harder to sell.

Johnny M is a great game apart from Keeanu Reeves ugly head on it.
The glove and the playfield design is awesome. Now highly sought after.
3 years makes a big difference to some titles.

The other 7 titles were container fill because they weren't the best, but far from the worst.

I wouldn't sell my Godzilla or SW or JM now. Too much fun.

Nothing sells if it is hugely overpriced.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
I liked and miss my Cactus Jack played far worse pins IMHO

Yeah, i think i've also seen Cactus Jack on some lists where it's certainly not at the bottom. It's probably the other one I'd think could maybe not be here.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
They were effectively glued to the floor because anybody with half a brain wouldn't be silly enough to pay the prices Bumper wanted for them!

Apart from JM I'd say most are still relevant in the wider community today. Although anything will sell at the right price.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Hehe - that could be right. It might be the list of pins he cldn't sell personally. I don't know bumper at all as not from Melb. I checked a few reviews for fun & it seems they all get a bashing except JM - Godzilla is funny - things like "abysmal", "worst pin ever". Do you think would still top the list? Waterworld & Wheel of Fortune never had a chance even if they played like gravy - what horrible material to work with. I'm not sure re SW ep1 as sure have seen 2 or 3 wtb on either forums or g/tree - but could be bogus. It's certainly nothing to rave about.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »
I have waterworld now and think its a cracking pin. I like these pins that no one else likes. A lot of pin for not a lot of money

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
I have waterworld now and think its a cracking pin. I like these pins that no one else likes. A lot of pin for not a lot of money
Totally agree here. I posted a comment about 12 months ago when a decent Waterworld was up for a good price. I never saw or played the title but I really like the theme. I like any pinball and am glad that you bought a title which not many have.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Gilligan's Island, Surf Champ, RBION, WNBJM ( no I haven't got it yet ), BBH, Radical, 2001 and Fish Tales
whoops not enough oh well!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Gilligan's Island, Surf Champ, RBION, WNBJM ( no I haven't got it yet ), BBH, Radical, 2001 and Fish Tales
whoops not enough oh well!

None of these are boat anchors oldskool. Surf Champ, RBION & Radical in particular are great pins. I think u should've kept Dr Dude.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Top ten can't sell pins 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 11:26:51 PM »

It's cheap(ish) so if you enjoy it then definitely great bang for yr buck! The pin does have its fans & there's one on ebay at the moment. I just can't get past the theme - Kevin Costner made such long boring movies. They started when he was fluffing around with wolves, & then moved onto waterworld - they were like watching Titanic four times straight. I could never enjoy the pin after the trauma inflicted by his movies  %.%
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:37:16 PM by andypinboy »

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
Re: Re: Top ten can't sell pins 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 08:25:48 AM »

It's cheap(ish) so if you enjoy it then definitely great bang for yr buck! The pin does have its fans & there's one on ebay at the moment. I just can't get past the theme - Kevin Costner made such long boring movies. They started when he was fluffing around with wolves, & then moved onto waterworld - they were like watching Titanic four times straight. I could never enjoy the pin after the trauma inflicted by his movies  %.%
Its the old "you shouldn't judge a book by its cover" attitude that I use when looking for pins. Quite a few pins that others rate I wouldn't own but hey each to their own

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
All pins have the capacity to make fine boat anchors.
 *%*
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Gilligans Island is a fun game to own.
Put Leds in mine and find it a lot of fun.
They usually sell very quickly and are family friendly.
The audio is hard not to sing along to.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !