Author Topic: German containerload for sale?????  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: German containerload for sale?????
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
 $.$
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
Since we are talking about bringing in things from overseas, today i spent 3 or 4 hours on the phone with customs, Aust Quarrantine etc.
 OH BROTHER. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUM.

What i learnt was, that if you do not get a PACKAGING DECLARATION done by the seller, or the sender, problems galore arise. If i do not get this declaration, it will start costing me plenty $.
So i am chasing the declaration to save time n money.

BRINGING ARCADE MACHINES AND PINBALLS in isnt easy, because some of the professionals u deal with, give incorrect advice or forget to do their jobs correctly.
A goodmate of mine does it regulary. There are always stuff ups cause people sometimes make mistakes and when you are half way around the world, it aint easy to fix. I will call upon good members like HOMEPIN-Mike who seem to have alot of knowledge in these areas or some of the other members next time.

Never has a STAR TREK arcade machine been so much work. lol  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:53:05 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
Never has a STAR TREK arcade machine been so much work. lol

It's coming from a Galaxy far, far away   %.%
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »
I have decided to convert the following titles -

Container - Borg Ship
Australian Customs - The Borg
Australian Quarrantine - Hirogen Hunters
My Freight - Missing in the Delta Quadrant
Shipping Costs - 1 million gold latinum bars

Shipping Broker/Agent - Tight arse Ferrengi
That may sum it up. lol

Importing Freight - To go where no-one has boldly gone before
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:10:50 PM by caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
Never has a STAR TREK arcade machine been so much work. lol

It's coming from a Galaxy far, far away   %.%

now thats funny

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »
Importing anything by sea is a bloody nightmare.. the costs involved in bringing in a container are the same costs for anything else. I recently imported 6 neon transformers - a total weight of 66kg. DHL wanted $650 delivered to my door. By sea was $80 - too easy i thought, sea it is stuff DHL the money grabbing mongrels.
Transformers arrived and were put straight into storage as i wasnt there to take delivery off the ship - cost $175.
Administration costs to process paperwork - $350
 So off i go to pick em up at Brisbane - cant do that havent got 1 piece of paper ( i had prior phoned to make sure i had everything), so an hours journey back it was - By this time i dont have time to go back to the port and it will have to be tomorrow

BAD MOVE - further storage charges - another $175.

OK!!! Can i now get my bloody transformers? - Nope - another admin cost - some $200 odd or so.

Now surely i can get the bloody transformers?
 NOPE - i didnt tell customs they were coming and so i have to GO TO customs and ASK if they can clear the items ( bear in mind that if customs are shitty they can so no bugger off will do it ONE day)

OK, i say, ill do that - customs charge a further $350+ .. oh and by the way the transformers are still in storage and incurred yet another $175 fee.

I didnt pay the last fee and i never paid customs - i told them they could keep the F***ing things!

OK said the lady - thankyou!

Now i only attempted to do this cos an agent would want too mch $$ and i thought surely it aint that hard?
 Customs are like a bloody union controlled island - its a language of their own - you dont talk it or walk it they WILL NOT help you.

Should have gone to DHL, all cleared by customs and delivered TO MY DOOR in 5 days for less than the friggin ship that took 2 bloody months from China.

DHL dont so containers ( or do they?) so deal witht the port turkeys you must - im still smarting from the exercise!  !*! !*!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:12 PM »
Importing anything by sea is a bloody nightmare.. the costs involved in bringing in a container are the same costs for anything else. I recently imported 6 neon transformers - a total weight of 66kg. DHL wanted $650 delivered to my door. By sea was $80 - too easy i thought, sea it is stuff DHL the money grabbing mongrels.
Transformers arrived and were put straight into storage as i wasnt there to take delivery off the ship - cost $175.
Administration costs to process paperwork - $350
 So off i go to pick em up at Brisbane - cant do that havent got 1 piece of paper ( i had prior phoned to make sure i had everything), so an hours journey back it was - By this time i dont have time to go back to the port and it will have to be tomorrow

BAD MOVE - further storage charges - another $175.

OK!!! Can i now get my bloody transformers? - Nope - another admin cost - some $200 odd or so.

Now surely i can get the bloody transformers?
 NOPE - i didnt tell customs they were coming and so i have to GO TO customs and ASK if they can clear the items ( bear in mind that if customs are shitty they can so no bugger off will do it ONE day)

OK, i say, ill do that - customs charge a further $350+ .. oh and by the way the transformers are still in storage and incurred yet another $175 fee.

I didnt pay the last fee and i never paid customs - i told them they could keep the F***ing things!

OK said the lady - thankyou!

Now i only attempted to do this cos an agent would want too mch $$ and i thought surely it aint that hard?
 Customs are like a bloody union controlled island - its a language of their own - you dont talk it or walk it they WILL NOT help you.

Should have gone to DHL, all cleared by customs and delivered TO MY DOOR in 5 days for less than the friggin ship that took 2 bloody months from China.

DHL dont so containers ( or do they?) so deal witht the port turkeys you must - im still smarting from the exercise!  !*! !*!

Holy Shit so it cost you how much in the end gav?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
I recall that fiasco, Gav - Customs think they are above and beyond anyone or anything. But you raise an important point - you must know the "lingo" and the process - or you pay a Freight forwarder to "translate' it all for you and charge you a small fortune for the privilege. But that is another "finger in the pie" and another piece of the puzzle that must fit in with your objective. Another point of failure as well.

Common theme - FIND the right Freight Forwarder. They don't like dealing with the "personal" containers that much, so you have to look around. If you import several containers, then it is a lot easier. I'd say after 3-4 containers, you can be confident that you have the process "down pat".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:18 PM »
hey Gav

mate that sucks big time.

i hate it when we get parts in and they over 1000  ...  they charge you $50  to do ,well their job ....  then you pay  a credit card fee , but you cant pay any other way  then it takes a week plus for them to send it .   and if they open it ... you never want  customs to open anything..   then whats broken ...
we have plently of stories  about missing bits , broken bits ...  and then try and make a claim , we are .

mark

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
Thanks to everyone who offered some sound advice..... We do use a freight forwarder at work, but they only deal with cartons not containers. I think i'll keep growing my collection slowley.

I'm guessing i'm also not going to import the 64 1/2 mustang convertible either.

andrew

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone who offered some sound advice..... We do use a freight forwarder at work, but they only deal with cartons not containers. I think i'll keep growing my collection slowley.

I'm guessing i'm also not going to import the 64 1/2 mustang convertible either.

andrew

Dont be put off mate - if you want to do this then of course it is VERY do able!  Many people bring in containers of many things with no hassles.
What this thread displays very clearly though is that doing it alone is just a mine field and customs will be very awkward towards you. The success and ease of it all depends solely on your freight forwarder agent - this HAS to be GOOD! Then and only then can you eliminate many hassles. But with a good one under your belt, i see no reason why this cant be a positive experience

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »
The problems i have had with my importation of the star trek machine are due to a seller not delivering what he promised to do paperwork wise.

But, we are close.

I have spent hours on the phone and will be going to CUSTOMS tomorrow.

Anyone bringing in anything must do the following to do the absolute minimum.

1. obviously get the item shipped to the seaport and loaded onto the container ship in the USA. Done by broker in the USA. Cost me $675 USA dollars.

2. Get a copy of the Bill of Lading and Seaway Bill including all weights, measurements by cubicmetres, **these documents show the following-
( who is sending , who is recieving , addresses of both parties, cost to ship, the item de******ion etc,exact cost of item $, what ship it is on, when it leaves port, when it gets here, the ships name, what container it is in or the part container it is in -called a consol) etc etc

3. Once the item arrives in the Australian port, and u pay the port fees, and other various charges that the freight company will charge you, in my case, this is an extra $400.

4.Once the port fees are paid to the Shipping Company, they willgive you a Delivery Order.

5. Take the Delivery Order, the Seaway Bill, the Bill of Lading, your drivers licence, 2 other forms of ID, fillout a Import declaration called a B650 form, then u go to Customs, then after filling out another form which  is a Classification form for duties, u are almost 90% of the way to having your stuff Customs Cleared. Now , just pay another hundred dollars in fees, plus the duties, another $150, and u might be luckily nearly finished. Gulp !

NOW, if you do not have a Packing Declaration done by the sender, you are now going to be FAR@KED FINANCIALLY. This says that the item being sent does not contain wood packaging etc etc, and therefore the item will be what they call screen free, which means in my case, i will not have to pay the quarrantine service $700 to look at my item which includes having it trucked from the shippers holding yard to an approved Quarrantine yard etc etc.
I AM CHASING MY PACKING DECLARATION. STAY TUNED.

ONCE I HAVE THIS, AND IF CUSTOMS DECIDE NOT TO BOTHER BEING PARANOID AND ASKING QUARRANTINE TO DO THE COSTLY INSPECTION ANYWAY, I CAN THEN TAKE MY PAPERWORK WITH THE CUSTOMS CLEARANCE FORMS TO THE SHIPPING COMPANY NEAR THE DOCKS AND GET MY ITEM.

my advice. do alot of research yourself. do not trust freight forwarders and customs brokers, they will mislead u morning noon and night to get money out of u at every turn just to suck you dry of money. RESEARCH. RESEARCH.RESEARCH.

WHEN I FINISH THIS WHOLE PROCESS I WILL DO A "importing guide for dummies" type of thing to show of my experiences. lol.
* STAY TUNED, OFF TO CUSTOMS TOMORROW.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:11:54 PM by caveoftreasures »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »

"Research, research and research" The key to a successful import is the homework and the ability to workout when and who is trying to cause you pain.

I think I mentioned in another thread about the "Packing Declaration" - The supplier HAS to fill this out or you will have to pay Customs for inspection, cartage and IF they want to - fumigation. My supplier filled out all the paperwork = no inspection, no fumigation - all the Freight forwarder has to do is clear the shipment off the dock and to your place.

I heard their is now a "Declaration of plastic wrap" - not sure on this one - effective August 1st 2009.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
PACKING DECLARATION ATTACHED.

WITHOUT THIS, YOU ARE SCREWED.

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
hello all,

i feel i started the container empty thread with the boys in WA.. it is ment in fun..
we always did it with timezone staff around australia.. we would issue a challenge.. fastest store opening..

quickest machine install.. being a  tech first and a owner second, keeps me drivin.

if i upset the WA guys.. im sorry.. but it is still on when the container arrives.. if thats ok..

I have spoken to the guys at AA and on AP and they are about pinball not politics.

I have always said if im invited to a meet in QLD or WA , Mark or myself or both will try and be there for the big ones.

The only problem is I am really busy.. work and family take up allot of time.. struggling to have a game of pinball but my 5 year old loves a game of BK2000.. ( seeing it is the led test game/ so bright)

damien

Damien you and Mark are always welcome to any meet we have here in WA as has been in the past and your right the container challenge time which I posted was for a bit of fun and still is,it wasnt your comments that got us fired up over here