Author Topic: NBA Fastbreak?  (Read 144 times)

Offline andrew (nob)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
NBA Fastbreak?
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
There was a NBA Fastbreak on ebay in Sydney that sold on Saturday night for $1500. I didnt bid on it (i was absorbed with my niece having a sleepover), but was wondering "why so cheap?". It's a fairly late model WPC-95, a George Gomez design. The boards alone would be worth at least half of that.

Is it the theme, or the 'weird' basketball type scoring instead of normal scoring?

I see strangeways has one on the owner's list.

andrew

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: NBA Fastbreak?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
must be the theme, not all that popular,not on my want list,allthough iv'e never played this one

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
must be the theme, not all that popular,not on my want list,allthough iv'e never played this one

Absolutely - the "theme". If it was rebadged with AFL / NRL then it would be a game we would identify with. Basketball is not that popular here. The same with Nascar etc. It is not the BEST game I've played, nor is it the worst. Not really a feature "toy" other than the basket and backglass animation similar to CV, but with a flipper. I don't really follow the sales or value of this title here in Australia, but it is a case of a "rare" game solely due to the fact that not many would have been sited and it is a sport that is not huge here in Australia.

$1500 is a bargain for this game.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
At $1500 I thought it was a great price. I guess the one thing (apart from my niece annoying me) that stopped me was the weird scoring wouldnt be popular with most of my pinball friends (but i could see it being fun for a casual user).

Machines also appear to go a bit higher in sydney on the second hand market as we dont have as many good dealers like in Melb or Brisbane.

I rekon even if you parted it out you'd get a good price for the stepper motor driver board as only NBA and IJ have that board and they appear as rare as hens teeth.

andrew

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »
NBAF I think was a stand alone game but during the production run  or towards  end they changed to
 a  version that you were able to hook up 2 together
and play head to head in real time rather than players taking turn..... thats were this(these) game kicked arse

1 NBA by its self is a ok game to play
2 hooked up is a killer game

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:27:48 PM by Greg »
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia