Author Topic: Anyone used a Rhinotool solder / desolder station?  (Read 324 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
Anyone used a Rhinotool solder / desolder station?
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »
Just wondering is anyone has used Rhino tools - particularly the solder / desolder stations?

http://www.rhinotools.com.au/43-vacuum-desoldering-station

I've had a bit of a hunt around the web, but can't fnd too many reviews for them. I was looking at getting both a solder / desolder package, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has used / got one.

I'm not looking to get the best there is, just something that will be suitable for a range of different applications.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Anyone used a Rhinotool solder / desolder station?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »
I've got the combo unit and I am happy with mine.  I wouldn't recommend it for every day commercial use but for the hobbyist it works a treat.  Old story of you get what you pay for.
Addicted to pins.

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
My dad has them both, the pair. I have used them and the desoldering station is GREAT!
but there is a con... we have had 1 tip break and a screen break! ALL IN 6 MONTHS! lucky the screen was under waranty and the tips were easy to find... if there is anything I have missed out Studley67 should tell you :lol
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »
Thanks guys,

Just had another look at the webiste and notice the 'combo' unit has disappeared from the site - hope they are just out of stock. Strange though to take the entire reference to the item off !@#

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
Send Scott an email at Rhino Tools, he is very easy to deal with and would be able to let you know what is going on with the combo unit.  sales@rhinotools.com.au
Addicted to pins.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
I've got the combo unit and I am happy with mine.  I wouldn't recommend it for every day commercial use but for the hobbyist it works a treat.  Old story of you get what you pay for.

I ordered an RT985 vacuum desoldering station this morning, costing me $180 inc freight. i may well, as you say 'get what i pay for' but i figured its worth trying one at that price  *%* we'll see how it goes anyway  :D

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »
I got the RT-981 solder station and the RT985 desolder tool instead of the all in one version.

I used the solder station the other day to replace the power lead for my Tommy (the old one was spliced inside the cab) and found it worked quite well.
I haven't gotten around to using the de-solder station yet........ might have to cannibalise an older VCR or something just to have a play !*!

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
I've had the straight desolder station now for a few weeks - it is unbelievable how good and quick a job this thing does, can't believe i've not had one until now, very well worth the $$$.  Although i did use a chinese ebay one the other day (2 days after i ordered mine) that was only $110 or so delivered, and it was much more portable (the whole thing is just the gun handle with the vacuum pump inside), i'd probably go one of them next time.

The only thing that is not as easy as demonstrated is cleaning it - it has a spring inside where the solder collects, and the solder seems to stick to the inside of the spring and you need to work it around a fair bit with long nose pliers

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »

I've used a Ludatronics Desoldering station for a while and I've been pleased with the results. The Tips were poor, but they were a bad batch and my latest order had new tips which are fantastic. My desoldering gun also had problems, and they sent me out a new one. My only gripe is that they look like they are no longer available.

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=2546.0

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
I bought my combo unit from here (Aoyue701A) and saved on shipping cost by getting together a bulk order with a few other local collectors/repairers
http://www.ownta.com/aoyue-701a-repairing-system.html

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
My RT985 desoldering station arrived a couple of weeks ago and has been getting a pretty good workout on an acid damaged Sys80 mpu i had to repair.

I DID have one issue with it when the pump stopped working (motor was spinning but not operating the pump). this happened after desolderring about probably 20 solder joints, which i must say didnt inspire confidence in this product!! Anyway i decided to open it up for a look see, and found a screw had come loose that operates the pump from the motor  ^&^

ended up being a simple fix, refit with some loctite on the thread, and it has worked flawlessly ever since  ^^^ I probably could've sent it back and had it repaired/replaced, but i didnt want to stuff around and be kept waiting.. besides i just had a feeling that id be able to repair it.

So apart from that little problem, i'm pretty happy with it.. i can now remove parts from boards in a fraction of the time it took me before, and with less chance of damaging boards.. best $180 i have ever spent me thinks  *%* *%*