Author Topic: Williams Whirlwind Restoration  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Williams Whirlwind Restoration
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
Next in the DMD Restoration / Reconditioning Queue is a Williams Whirlwind. One of my favorite Williams titles that I enjoy playing. I have a deadline to prepare this game for a friend of mine - Christmas or bust !

Objective

Restore / recondition the machine in time for the Holidays ! The game is in very good condition for it's age and I don't think it needs any major work. It is playable - albeit sloppy - but there are no major faults.

Condition

Playfield - 8/10 - Factory mylar. No raised inserts (a miracle for this title). Some wear around the Cellar door and above the spinning disk. A couple of broken plastics (above the drop Targets). I think it will clean up really well. Ramps seem to be ok.

Cabinet - 9/10 - Really nice. No major dints or scuff marks. Translite is fine. Front door is straight and clean. Lock down bar will be discarded.

Electronics - 9/10 - Best I've seen on a SYS 11 machine.

Let's Begin - The "Before" pictures

Ramp flaps need attention and there's a target missing !

Black rubbers look like crap on this game.

The teardown

The spinner unit will be rebuild with new decals

Scoop assemblies are not broken at all and won't need to be repaired (sorry Marty !)

As I always say "take plenty of photos", because even the smallest detail can be captured and you will be able to check the photos during re assembly.

Under the playfield - The flippers had GREASE on the plungers. All that does is attract dirt and filth and over time, it seizes.

Cabinet is filthy and will be stripped !

That's the first night on the job done !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Williams Whirlwind Restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
Your a machine,
How do you get all this time for restos?

Offline indazone gav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
I will watch this thread with great intrest. I just got a WW for myself and it is one of my alltime favourites. Fortunately mine only needs some cab touchups, decals around the spinners and a good strip and polish, also has the factory mylar  *%* I will be adding Pinball Pro speaker kit as I think this pin really benifits from the big sound of their full kit and also I'll use full LEDs. Tossing up whether to strip the mylar. Perfect timing for this thread as I hope to get some tips from the expert ()

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
Your a machine,
How do you get all this time for restos?

My "day job" is 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. I get home at 4:30 PM, I play with the kids, have some dinner, deal with anything that needs to be done around the house etc, check AP and then I'm in the garage until 10:30 PM ish. I don't do it every night. Sometimes I have phases where I JUST do boards for two weeks.

I have no other interests outside Family and friends. I consider my addiction a healthy obsession. As long as the family is happy, I'll keep doing it. Most of my friends know I'm not "normal"  %.%

Outside those reasons, I can't really explain it !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
I will watch this thread with great intrest. I just got a WW for myself and it is one of my alltime favourites. Fortunately mine only needs some cab touchups, decals around the spinners and a good strip and polish, also has the factory mylar  *%* I will be adding Pinball Pro speaker kit as I think this pin really benifits from the big sound of their full kit and also I'll use full LEDs. Tossing up whether to strip the mylar. Perfect timing for this thread as I hope to get some tips from the expert ()

Mylar stays on this title Gav. I'm really hesitant with mylar removal on SYS 11 games. Paint and insert lift are a real concern, and I learnt that polishing this factory mylar with the treasurecove kit gives fantastic results (Pinbot Restoration). I think the only major concern is the wear on the areas above the spinning disks. I have new decals for that, and I believe that there is a decal kit that can be applied to the surrounding artwork. I'll look into that as well.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
I've never played this title but everyone raves about it why? rules? shots? theme? funny thing is I have a Twister similar theme and I'd never sell it just lve the theme and game. Whats one working and in need of a clean up worth? may have to keep my eye out and well done Nino I love watching your resto's cant wait for next installment.

Peter <..>

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »
Looks like a good base Machine to start with should clean up well..

Cant say ive played one either looks interesting...

I can vouch firsthand that once you remove mylar on a sys 11 era game you will pretty much double the work to be done!!! (My F14 ^.^)

Peter..
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
Great game. I'm on my 2nd, a Diamondplated game whose playfield has been at PFR for nearly 5 years. Someday, I'll get the field back.

Where's the DMD on yours? :)

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »

Mylar stays on this title Gav. I'm really hesitant with mylar removal on SYS 11 games. Paint and insert lift are a real concern, and I learnt that polishing this factory mylar with the treasurecove kit gives fantastic results (Pinbot Restoration). I think the only major concern is the wear on the areas above the spinning disks. I have new decals for that, and I believe that there is a decal kit that can be applied to the surrounding artwork. I'll look into that as well.

I think you are right with leaving the mylar on. I'd shit myself if paint started peeling. I purchased the TreasureCove kit specifically for this pin as its my only one with the mylar. I got the decals for the artwork around the spinners from ebay. I'll be putting mine on wet.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
Another nice machine, look forward to the resto  *%*

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
I've never played this title but everyone raves about it why? rules? shots? theme? funny thing is I have a Twister similar theme and I'd never sell it just lve the theme and game. Whats one working and in need of a clean up worth? may have to keep my eye out and well done Nino I love watching your resto's cant wait for next installment.

Peter <..>

Very playable, lots of fun, the spinning discs add a certain randomness to the ball movement, the topper, just an all-round good game.

This is one I would like to own one day...

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
Yeah - fess up - johnwartjnr has already asked as well.......it 'ain't no DMD  !*!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
Great game. I'm on my 2nd, a Diamondplated game whose playfield has been at PFR for nearly 5 years. Someday, I'll get the field back.

Where's the DMD on yours? :)

5 years??? Wow!! Makes me look like an absolute power house!!!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:20 AM »

Topside Playfield

The playfield is completely stripped. The plan is to trim any lifting mylar and replace any section that has deteriorated. Of course it will require cleaning and polishing. Mylar is in excellent condition and there are no raised inserts.

Bottom side playfield

All mechanisms are removed for cleaning and parts are replaced where needed. All coil sleeves are replaced. Coils are tested and cleaned as well. I always check the manual to ensure all coils are correct.

If you don't do a thorough job, then you don't find problems like this (pictured below). Often, corners are cut, and the job is not done properly. I usually replace the metal yokes - they are cheap to replace.

Cabinet

The cabinet is completely stripped and cleaned. I use Nifti and an old paintbrush. Takes a while to do a good job and it helps if the weather is warm.

Siderails are regrained during this process and the cabinet left out in the warm sunshine !

The topper is dismantled, cleaned and lubricated. Nothing worse than seeing a reconditioned machine with a filthy topper !

Metal Hardware

Every metal part is removed, washed and thrown in the tumbler with a capful of flitz for four hours. I then sort out all the hardware ready for reassembly.

Here's a picture of the two Drop Target assemblies totally rebuilt. The srping on the single Drop Target was sloppy, so it was replaced.

The reassembly process is the "fun time" for me - installing new parts and cleaned parts.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
I scored a damaged partial populated playfield, so stripped because if was flogged out (paint peeling) and still have some parts that I don't need - like metal brackets etc, let me know know if you need anything Nino and will post it to you if I have it - like ramp lift a wire ramp etc.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts