Author Topic: LED Dotmatrix Display Problem has this happened to you?  (Read 168 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
LED Dotmatrix Display Problem has this happened to you?
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
One of the verticle lines on my ACDC dot matrix display is staying on. It's not very bright probably only about 1/3 the brightness as normal but it stays dimly lit the whole time it's on. I tried to take a pic to help explain but it's too dull to show up properly.
Has this happened to anyone else with a led dot matrix display or any ideas on what may be causing it ? I'm really hoping I'm not going to be up for a new display already  !@#

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: LED Dotmatrix Display Problem has this happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
I would contact the supplier you bought it off.
this is more of a problem in sited machines with these displays, at least 3 of the 6 machines at the local timezone has this problem, even on there Metallica machines
I have even seen a HUO AC/DC with this problem
I am not going to be liked for writing this post but it is true, I will take some photos next time i am next time i go to time zone
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:15:23 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
I have it on good authority that one of the LEDs in one of the blocks actually shorts and stops the rest of the line from working correctly.

See if you can see one dot in the faulty string that ISN'T lit - if you can then that block will be faulty.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »
As Mike suggested it will be only one block that is bad and can be repaired,if you can't find anyone over your way I can repair them.

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:44:32 AM »
Thanks for your help and advice everyone.
You are right there is one dot totally out in the row so it seems to be a not uncommon problem.
Andrew has advised me that he can do the repair so i'll be sending it to him ASAP as it annoys the shit out of me.
Thanks again
Tim