Author Topic: Pinball pricing  (Read 331 times)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Pinball pricing
« on: September 20, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to ask peoples opinions of what some pinball's are worth as I see some crazy prices these days.
I currently own a Getaway and a Doctor who machine.

Although Getaway has been one of my favourite machines of all time, I have always considered Getaway to be a $2500-$3000 pin at most. Lately I have seen some crazy prices asked for this pin. Has the value increased and I am simply not aware of it. There is currently one listed on Ebay for over $5k. Granted it looks like it is in great condition. I saw one recently listed for over $3,000 with the decals being completely faded and in need of a restoration in my opinion. What does everyone think this pin is worth these days. If it is demanding more dollars, then great as mine is great condition :)

I also have a Doctor who which was completely done over and in my opinion, one of the best I have seen. What type of price does this machine command these days

Offline wiredoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
Re: Pinball pricing
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
Your entire question is flawed as you're comparing private sale prices to dealer sale prices  .. its like comparing cars in the trading post to cars in a main road dealers yard.  Its never going to add up.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
I see the point you are trying to make here. That being said what would be a reasonable dealer price and a reasonable private sale price assuming they are both in the same condition. :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

Crazy prices exist because there are crazy people who don't do their homework. Some dealer's acumen is simple - lure in the rich types, but find out if they know the market. If they don't know the market, then it is one price, if they do, then it is another price. Identify the car they drove to the showroom or factory and that gives the dealer an idea of what he should be charging.

It is the same in any industry.

The pinball industry is changing because over the last 10 years, machines have become more readily available. There are many sellers that a customer can look for - if they are smart enough and follow due diligence. It is a tough market to survive in at the moment. Our industry is not regulated, so the standards are all over the place. Price reflects this. Some sellers version of "shopped", "restored" or the new buzz word "High End Restoration" are thrown around liberally.

I think the price of Getaway is - "whatever a buyer will pay". That's where the industry is now.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
I agree with everything @strangeways said.. its marketing 101 for a good salesman to price a product to market.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
Re: Re: Pinball pricing
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »
Although I agree with your points made, there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.  I am all for paying a premium for quality aka my doctor which went through a thorough and documented restoration :) but there seems to be no logic with some of the prices getting thrown around. Makes things hard all round. P.s nino when are you coming over to look at my operation Thunderbolt :)

P.s I still want that playboy :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Re: Pinball pricing
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »
Although I agree with your points made, there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.  I am all for paying a premium for quality aka my doctor which went through a thorough and documented restoration :) but there seems to be no logic with some of the prices getting thrown around. Makes things hard all round. P.s nino when are you coming over to look at my operation Thunderbolt :)

P.s I still want that playboy :)

Your Dr Who is a typical example of the price differences. There's no way a Dealer can allow their staff to work those hours on a single machine. They would go broke. It is just not good economics. In the time that it took to restore that machine, a dealer could have completed 3 games. So in a way, IF a dealer went to that level, then the Dr Who is a $4000-$5000 pinball. I would say a dealer would put it "front and centre" in their showroom with a $5000 price tag. "someone" would buy it - but investing that time might not be worth the profit of three shopped games. The "problem" with this is the precedent - once the restored Dr Who sells for $5000, then it will be a case of "we sell Dr who's for $5000 every day of the week"...

Guys like Tim and I that do this type of work for a living are good at what we do, because we love what we do. It is not just putting food on the table, it is ensuring that the customer is happy with their purchase, and he/she will return again in the future for another game. There are forum guys i know that you don't hear much about, and their standard is right up there as well. Again, you have to love what you do. A good pinball dealer salesman should be a good salesman for any product. It is their method - how well they can present and sell the product. They mostly don't know the product, but they know how to sell. From my experience, I can't sell games the same way a dealer can. Using the car analogy, I see myself as a racing car driver selling a car, not a salesperson. I know the tech stuff, but not the sales blurg.

Dealers are a very important cog in the industry. Without them, the hobby would not be thriving. The price differences and the quality differences can be extreme, but it is up to forums, meets and word of mouth to document experiences. I've seen some really bad stuff over the years, but every so often you see a really nice game that deserves the pricetag.

George - Happy to have a look at the Operation Thunderbolt - and I'll get around to the Playboy - thanks for reminding me !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
I imagine that just like used cars there are plenty of dreamers who advertise very high prices, refuse to negotiate, and then find themselves 6 months later still in possession of the item they wanted to sell quickly.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
I imagine that just like used cars there are plenty of dreamers who advertise very high prices, refuse to negotiate, and then find themselves 6 months later still in possession of the item they wanted to sell quickly.

Just like everything there are dreamers on both sides of the fence, sellers and buyers.

Plenty of people buy items purely on price, without any understanding of why one item costs more than another.
Like Nino said if the dealers spent as much time as a hobbyist does on a restore they would go broke, they play the numbers game if they can sell "x" number of machines and only a percentage come back for repairs then they still make profit, win on some lose on some but overall come out in front.

If someone wont negotiate and end up not selling then perhaps they REALLY didn't want to sell it.